Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-02-2021, 04:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOGEORGE View Post
You wouldn’t have made the door side it took a 8.44 or quicker but the non-door side you could have maybe squeezed in.

GTO George
So those 9.50 and slower guys on your q16 list weren’t in the list?

Old 08-02-2021, 04:50 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69Goat1 View Post
So those 9.50 and slower guys on your q16 list weren’t in the list?
It’s not my list I was just a racer racing in it. To be honest I’m not sure who was in it…..im only sure/or paid attention to the cars that I raced. I was busy.

GTO George

Last edited by GTOGEORGE; 08-02-2021 at 05:12 PM.
Old 08-02-2021, 05:31 PM

The bump was 8.957

Old 08-02-2021, 06:13 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragracertoo View Post
The bump was 8.957
Yep that was Todd Sedlmeier 1986 Grad Prix....I saw his car in line but i didnt realize he was the bump. Not a bad bump!!

GTO George

Old 08-02-2021, 07:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
How did a person get into the quick 16? Sign up separately for it? I have been to a lot of other Pontiac Specific races and been in the quick 16 every time and the way they always did it was announce it and put up a sheet based on your time runs... looking at your final sheet I would have made the show...
Kinda looks like you should have brought that blower with you buddy as you are about 125 HP shy.

Car looks good though!

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 08-02-2021, 07:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Yep that was Todd Sedlmeier 1986 Grad Prix....I saw his car in line but i didnt realize he was the bump. Not a bad bump!!

GTO George
Todd did run his best ET to date at 8.92, not your typical Pontiac Nationals weather.

Great job Todd!

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

The Following User Says Thank You to 65nss4spdGTO For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2021, 07:38 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65nss4spdGTO View Post
Todd did run his best ET to date at 8.92, not your typical Pontiac Nationals weather.

Great job Todd!

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420
Actually Saturday was rather warm!!

GTO George

Old 08-02-2021, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65nss4spdGTO View Post
Kinda looks like you should have brought that blower with you buddy as you are about 125 HP shy.

Car looks good though!

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420
I was happy with just running my 3400 lb car NA with the blower cam in it. Is it something like a 10th for every hundred pounds or something and I was at 9.42 at my weight with absolutely no tuning done on the car or any vacuum pump and foot braking it...next year we will be in the 8’s because I have lots of places to look for a little here and a little there...

Old 08-02-2021, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Actually Saturday was rather warm!!

GTO George
Are you friggin serious🤣 we about froze to death in Ohio!

The Following User Says Thank You to 69Goat1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-02-2021, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also when I look at a quick 16 sheet that has 3 guys slower than me on it what else am I to think? Is it that common core math up there or what?

Old 08-02-2021, 11:34 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Are you friggin serious🤣 we about froze to death in Ohio!
At night.

GTO George

Old 08-03-2021, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
At night.

GTO George
Nope...during the day. It was 107 here at home while we were lolligagging in those 70’s in Norwalk...

Old 08-03-2021, 06:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Also when I look at a quick 16 sheet that has 3 guys slower than me on it what else am I to think? Is it that common core math up there or what?
The sheet shows all the people who paid to run the Q16. They only take the top 8 of those people. The sheet had 20 signed up I guess. Usually more than that.

They also have an Open body side which they take the top 8 of those entries. George said there were only 2 dragsters. (Open body)

What they do then to make a field of 16 cars is to take the cars that entered and qualified slower than the top 8 of the closed body cars to fill the 16 car field.

Then 1st round they ladder the cars with the Open Body cars against the Closed body cars.
Since there were only 2 dragsters, that made the other 6 open body cars actually closed body but are shown as "Open Body".

George for example probably ran a slow closed body car 1st round even though they were called Open body car.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
The Following User Says Thank You to johnta1 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2021, 09:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Nope...during the day. It was 107 here at home while we were lolligagging in those 70’s in Norwalk...
LOL, they call the upper 80's "Hot" in that neck of the woods...

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 08-03-2021, 10:08 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
No, I don’t mind the heat BUT sitting in my race car in my SFI fire suit with my helmet on and gloves is a tad warm at that temp!

GTO George

Old 08-03-2021, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
Since Norwalk is just off the shores of lake Erie 80 degrees with 80% humidity is just as hot as 100 degrees in 20% humidity. You can't just compare the ambient air temperature, relative humidity consideration is also needed to get a real perspective. Erie has an average daily humidity of 72%. Average humidity in OKC is 54%, almost 20% difference makes a lot of difference in comfort when you are outside.

I lived in Erie PA for 47 years, and the high humidity making the air less absorbent to evaporate the sweat on your skin is a major feeling of discomfort. My parents moved from Erie PA to Phoenix AZ, so I know for a fact how humidity in the air adds to discomfort with high ambient temperatures. I can do 100 degrees in Phoenix much easier than 85 degrees in Erie. Erie most times has enough humidity to be considered tropical, 70% is considered tropical, and Erie is 72% daily average. It's not apples to oranges comparing air temperatures if you throw out relative humidity.

I was at Norwalk on Friday afternoon, and it was very mild compared to what Norwalk is usually like in late July, early August. When we left Norwalk Friday we stopped at Attica Raceway park about 30 minutes SW from Norwalk to watch the sprint car races. I only had a shorts and a T shirt, fortunately we had a blanket in the car so the wife and I wrapped the blanket over us after the sun went down. That isn't usual for that time of year in northern Ohio. I've been at Norwalk previous years camping, and it was so hot at night, you just sweat lying in bed, so yes, this year was very mild temperatures for the event. I've attended Norwalk for 26 years consecutively less 2020 so I've seen major fluctuations in the weather for the event.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 08-03-2021 at 11:08 AM.
Old 08-03-2021, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnta1 View Post
Thanks, George for the sheet!

Did Gary H make it in the Q16?
(with breakage and stuff)

I was running with the Nostalgia Super Stock guys during the event. Just prior to the last qualifying pass for Q-16 I decided to give it a try. Unfortunately I had made a few changes on the car that it didn't like on that pass. It had a bad bog off the line, then it took off. It only ran a 9.55 , but at 151 MPH. My best ET for the weekend was 8.87, best mph was 154. That would have put me well into the field. Oh well!

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
Old 08-03-2021, 11:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
Since Norwalk is just off the shores of lake Erie 80 degrees with 80% humidity is just as hot as 100 degrees in 20% humidity. You can't just compare the ambient air temperature, relative humidity consideration is also needed to get a real perspective. Erie has an average daily humidity of 72%. Average humidity in OKC is 54%, almost 20% difference makes a lot of difference in comfort when you are outside.

I lived in Erie PA for 47 years, and the high humidity making the air less absorbent to evaporate the sweat on your skin is a major feeling of discomfort. My parents moved from Erie PA to Phoenix AZ, so I know for a fact how humidity in the air adds to discomfort with high ambient temperatures. I can do 100 degrees in Phoenix much easier than 85 degrees in Erie. Erie most times has enough humidity to be considered tropical, 70% is considered tropical, and Erie is 72% daily average. It's not apples to oranges comparing air temperatures if you throw out relative humidity.

I was at Norwalk on Friday afternoon, and it was very mild compared to what Norwalk is usually like in late July, early August. When we left Norwalk Friday we stopped at Attica Raceway park about 30 minutes SW from Norwalk to watch the sprint car races. I only had a shorts and a T shirt, fortunately we had a blanket in the car so the wife and I wrapped the blanket over us after the sun went down. That isn't usual for that time of year in northern Ohio. I've been at Norwalk previous years camping, and it was so hot at night, you just sweat lying in bed, so yes, this year was very mild temperatures for the event. I've attended Norwalk for 26 years consecutively less 2020 so I've seen major fluctuations in the weather for the event.

Wow...I never sweated once in Norwalk but yesterday I sweated all day at home...you somehow think Oklahoma is a dry heat...lol I have been to Norwalk twice and both times I thought I was in Alaska or something...

Old 08-03-2021, 11:53 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Wow...I never sweated once in Norwalk but yesterday I sweated all day at home...you somehow think Oklahoma is a dry heat...lol I have been to Norwalk twice and both times I thought I was in Alaska or something...
Only time i sweated was in my car with my SFI fire suit on.
I worked in a steel mill for 44 years....I know heat! LOL!

GTO George

Old 08-03-2021, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Having lived in Erie the majority of my life and traveled to and from AZ many many times since 1967 I'm very familiar with the summer heat in all the states between AZ and PA, that includes OK. a 20% difference in relative humidity is pretty major. When it gets over 85% in and around the great lakes it's like walking into an oven at 90 degrees ambient air temp, when sweat doesn't evaporate due to the latent humidity in the air you're just miserable, and A/C is about the only relief.

I have moved about 150 miles away from Lake Erie for a reason, the lake has very little influence on our weather this far away from it, more sunny days and less snow and rain. 200 inches of snow in a season is an indicator of how much water evaporates from Lake Erie in a season and how high the humidity is consistently. I know OK doesn't ever get 200 inches of snow in a winter season.

I also lived in Memphis for 2 years and it is no where as humid as it is in and around the great lakes. I was able to work outside in Memphis at near 100 degrees much easier than 85-90 in Erie with humidity over 80%. Fans blowing the humid air do almost nothing to cool you when the humidity is 80% or above. Having only been to Norwalk 2 times isn't a very accurate gauge, I've stayed in OKC in the summer many more than times than twice over my lifetime. TX, NM, AZ, OK, MO, been to all of them in the summer. Also been to FL many times in my life, and FL is the only place that is hotter, with high relative humidity and more miserable outside during the summer than PA/OH great lakes area.

I'm done debating the point, I have been around the great lakes, and out in the west in August, I'd much rather be somewhere that the humidity is lower and the temp is higher, rather than the reverse.

We have a saying in this part of the country, if you don't like the weather, wait 15 minutes, and it will change, it's pretty true because we have 25 degree changes in temperature within half an hour pretty consistently. Spend a year in Norwalk and I'll bet you'll change your mind about high humidity, and how it affects you outside in the summer. I'm done........

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated