THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 06-23-2021, 08:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
A friend yrs ago towed to Norwalk for a chevy event with a blazer,open trailer w 68camaro.When he was coming home the trailer was swaying and the blazer with short wheelbase was swaying also. He said never again with short wheelbase. I guess people do but I like long wheelbase.
Between the short wheelbase, high center of gravity, chuck wagon leaf springs, front axle wind up during braking, and sensitivity to brake pulls - they were a handful even when not pulling a trailer.

K
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Business cards resize.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	39.2 KB
ID:	568678  

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
Old 06-23-2021, 09:08 AM

My older 2003 F150 FX4 with a 5.4L would tow anything….but unfortunately i just got rid of it because the rocker rust got so bad the running boards were falling of of it (thank you Michigan winters). Anyways, one time I let a friend who needed to tow something borrow it, and I borrowed a 2005 Expedition from our company fleet; it was also a 5.4L but I think a 3v engine - it was roomy and powerful and I always thought it would make a great tow vehicle

Old 06-23-2021, 09:33 AM
Senior Chief

After all of this maybe we should circle back to Vertigto and ask if there are further requirements ?

e.g. size of TOAD, type of trailer, size of tow vehicle, alternate use of tow vehicle, driver(s) size, distances to be towed,

In other words are you looking for an SUV, Van, GT capable, carrying ability,...?
And price range ?

Can often find a professional car for a good price.

Old 06-23-2021, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith Seymore View Post
Between the short wheelbase, high center of gravity, chuck wagon leaf springs, front axle wind up during braking, and sensitivity to brake pulls - they were a handful even when not pulling a trailer.

K
Keith, I pulled a stock car and trailer back from the racetrack (about 10 miles) after a friend of mine was involved in a wreck. He broke a couple of ribs and was taken to the hospital. That was with a mid 70s blazer, it was one of the worst tow rigs I have ever towed with in my lifetime. The trailer was pushing the blazer all over the road, terrible experience.

I'd never recommend a blazer, or a short wheelbase chevy half ton based on that experience.

I too have also found that with a bumper pull trailer a longer wheelbase tow vehicle is better. If using a fifth wheel, or gooseneck then a short wheelbase is fine, but bumper pull trailers have a lot of leverage to move the tow vehicle side to side going down the road.

If you ever notice that guys that run Hotshot rigs, run either a gooseneck trailer, or a fifth wheel on their rigs, because it makes for a much better tow rig with the attachment point over the rear axle. The tendency of the trailer to push the tow vehicle is greatly minimized by eliminating the trailer tongue which acts as a lever to cause sway. Then adding another 4 feet behind the rear axle as the pivot point just isn't sound engineering, at least in my own experiences towing most anything with some weight in the trailer.

Using weight equalizing hitches with torsion bars is a band aid on the problem, yes it can be more stable, but the engineering of bumper pull trailers isn't as sound as the pivot point over the rear axle, IMO.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

The Following User Says Thank You to Sirrotica For This Useful Post:
Old 06-23-2021, 11:21 AM
Senior Chief

This is why on modern cars like my Grand Cherokee, the "towing package" (one option I insisted on) is just that: a package that usually has much more than just a hitch.

My 72 tow wagon had to have all added, frame mount receiver, air lifts, and came with a rear sway bar (often missed). Was a very stable and towed all over the midwest, all with tandem axle trailers but just on passenger tires.

Could write a book about how we towed back in the 70s but never had the issues mentioned here (and won a lot of tow car races...).

Old 06-23-2021, 11:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
There are many more 2wd good towing choices than 4x4.
You beat me to it. 2wd is undesirable market in Montana and a buyers one. Lots don't even carry them typically. People sell them when they move here.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:39 AM
Senior Chief

Agree market is really dependent on location. OTOH I've never had nor needed AWD/4WD, consider just an added complexity and lowers MPG. Posi is good though. Sounds like might be really good deals on a RWD in Montana.

Do believe RWD is a good idea because the tongue weight helps with traction. The said for years I had a 92 Pontiac Transport (FWD) with 3800 and equipped for towing (air lift, etc.). Never had a problem but receiver was only 1 1/4" so limited capacity. Gave to my sister and replaced with the Jeep GC.

Old 06-23-2021, 11:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett View Post
After all of this maybe we should circle back to Vertigto and ask if there are further requirements ?

e.g. size of TOAD, type of trailer, size of tow vehicle, alternate use of tow vehicle, driver(s) size, distances to be towed,

In other words are you looking for an SUV, Van, GT capable, carrying ability,...?
And price range ?

Can often find a professional car for a good price.
Ideally, I would be looking for a truck/SUV/possibly a van, that could accommodate general transport activities (think gear, parts, appliances, mulch, etc), but that would also be able to haul my 70 GTO to events that are not local, if desired. I don't have a trailer at this point and had considered renting a U-Haul trailer, if need be. Don't have the garage space currently and won't be selling the house for the foreseable future. Had rented a U-Haul GMC pickup and auto transport drive-on trailer once before to haul a car and it worked pretty well.

Would like to be <$10K, but might bump up for a 'gotta have'. Appreciate the offers, but not an immediate need as the GTO is not done yet. Just trying to do the research and get real world experiences.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400

Last edited by vertigto; 06-23-2021 at 11:50 AM.
Old 06-23-2021, 11:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdbob View Post
A friend yrs ago towed to Norwalk for a chevy event with a blazer,open trailer w 68camaro.When he was coming home the trailer was swaying and the blazer with short wheelbase was swaying also. He said never again with short wheelbase. I guess people do but I like long wheelbase.
I towed with an '82 K5 Blazer once... Anything over 50mph was white knuckle...

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 06-23-2021, 12:48 PM

Even though i have an 06 Dodge Mega Cab 4x4 with 5.9/6speed, I’m gathering parts for my 88 crew cab Chevy srw 4wd (still a square body like the 81-87 pickups) I have a 12 valve Cummins already to go in it and plan on a 5 or 6 speed transmission. Also going to cut it down to short wheel base.

Get it together and plan to sell the Dodge

Old 06-23-2021, 01:01 PM
Senior Chief

Agree, nothing is worse than trying to tow with a vehicle not designed for it, why I specifically wanted one with tow PACKAGE rated for at least 5,000 lbs.

My 72 wagon was great BUT had a lot of mods designed to help towing long distance at high speeds. Major difference was the 400 got 12.5 mpg when towing with AC on. And ordered it with the "economy (3.08) posi axle.

OTOH GC gets 25mpg by itself, 18 towing, and has a lockup torque converter ( runs much cooler than a THM400. Also can monitor coolant, oil, and transmission temp from stock instrument panel.

Point I am trying to make is that there is A Lot that goes into a good tow car that is not stock. This is why many (like my Jeep) have a specific "towing package".

You can make almost anything with "enough" (weight, wheelbase, power) a good tow car IF you want to do the mods. (eTrailer is your friend).

Just don't expect to just buy "something", add a hitch, and go. It is not that simple.

One great thing I have now that I didn't have then is a long distance set of TPMS sensors. Used to stop periodically and go around the trailer with an IR gun (originally was to measure the temps of race tires). Can also use with a car on a dolly.

Old 06-23-2021, 01:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I could dig something like this if it had the engine/braking/towing capability...lol.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 06-23-2021, 01:58 PM
Senior Chief

If going to build something really stupid it would have to start with a COE.

Old 06-23-2021, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm spoiled,l like air and cruise.

Old 06-23-2021, 05:48 PM
Senior Chief

All of the herd here have factory AC and only the Judge does not have cruise (NA with 4-speed in '70).

Old 06-24-2021, 04:34 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Tow vehicle....

https://houston.craigslist.org/ctd/d...341495289.html

Old 06-24-2021, 04:46 PM
Senior Chief

That has the makings of a really good tow car, other than the 3 bolt exhaust (7K3) manifold - ask about exhaust leaks, the 72 400 4bbl was a great low compression engine and had steel gears. I'd want to check the VIN against PHS and looks like it needs a grand of AC work but a convertible is good for many things.

Does look like a lot of wear and after 100k miles a new timing chain and gears may be an instant 20hp.

Deal a bit and looks like you could just drive home.

ps appears to be a build sheet in the trunk.

Old 06-24-2021, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD455DJ View Post
Vertigto, What about an old '71-76 B-body like a Catalina, Bonneville, or Grandville with the 455/TH400? You can still get pretty nice ones in the $6-8K range and they are full frame and Class III hitches are already on some of them. I used to tow my '70 GTO (4000 #) plus tools/parts (500#) on a heavy trailer (3000#) plus a couple of people and their gear (500#) for a total of 8000# and it towed and handled great. These big family cars made good haulers back in the day and are cool to see these days. I know a p/u truck is probably better all the way around, but, you asked for alternatives...

I added a factory 4-core Harrison radiator, an auxiliary trans cooler, and Trans-go shift kit and left the 2.73 rear end. It towed great for what is was.

A while back, Dan had a '74 Catalina with a 400 2-bbl that he towed his T-37 with, then he bought a '72 Lemans wagon that he converted to a 455HO (GTO) that he towed with. Both towed wonderfully well.

Dennis
I’ll go with this. Ive towed cars all the way back from Texas with no issues.

‘22 Toyota Sequoia V8
‘23 Lexus LS500 awd
‘95 Ford F-super duty 4wd 7.3 p-stroke
& countless Jeeps & off road vehicles.
Old 06-27-2021, 11:44 PM

Used busses are dirt cheap and usually well maintained when purchased right after use.

Old 06-28-2021, 12:34 AM
Senior Chief

I use a 97 F250 7.3 turbo diesel long bed ext cab. It took a while to find the right truck, I've had mine about 4 yrs. 17 to 20 mpg empty, 13 to 15 mpg loaded. Runs 75 down the hwy all day, set the cruise and go!

97 F250 7.3 turbo diesel
85 CJ7 Laredo
65 Impala SS 396, 4 spd, A/C.