THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"anything other than an original resto is considered blasphemy in the eyes of purists"

One reason I don't go to Corvette Shows, Had my '69 since '91 and attend many Corvette Shows. Purchased mine with a '70 frt end, I change back to a '69 one piece. You might think I put a Ford motor in it with all the purist telling me it should have bonding strips on it. You like it buy it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	69 corvette 029-1.jpg
Views:	160
Size:	81.5 KB
ID:	569881  

TOM
Old 07-15-2021, 11:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I sure as hell wouldn't ride in the "back seat" of another 63 Vette. Yeah... you know what I mean. LOL

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 07-16-2021, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN View Post
You only live once.....
63-67 are the best Corvettes..period, my opinion...
Yep, by far

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
No idea on value. If it were anything else it probably wouldn't be worth scrap, but it's a 'Vette.
I'm not a Corvette guy....but I'd own one of that series...is it C3?
C2

Quote:
Originally Posted by XLR8STEVE View Post
If you are looking for a fun car, that is one of the best. If you are looking for a deal, get the ones that Vette guys hate. That qualifies.
i would put value in the 45k range. maybe a bit higher if the frame is still solid. biggest issues with those cars are the frames rot and the brakes. Take a pick and poke around the frame especially where it kicks up in front of the rear wheels.

Vette guys are real assholes and they want to beat me over the head with their NCRS trophies because mine is modified. My dad was original owner and I built this thing to look kind of like his 70s job but with better stuff. My 327 makes an honest 400 hp with 4 speed and 4.11 gear it will make you giggle.

Mine and that one will never command big bucks, but i will walk past 100 stock cars to look at a modified one. Hope you snag it if you want to.
I was actually thinking $45k tops given what little I know about it and only if it were in good clean condition.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72projectbird View Post
That's a badass Vette! And yes, they're some of the worst groups of guys in the hobby. I own one of the most hated/loved Vettes, and I've had my fill hate. lol

As for that 63 (64), it looks like a good car. 63s have been very pricey for a long time now, so if you can get into one that's affordable by C2 standards, and allows you to build it how you want I'd jump on it asap. Being converted to look like a 63 isn't a big deal to me. I'd rather modify a 64 anyway, I wouldn't feel bad about cutting it up.

I love the sidepipes and Kelsey Hayes wheels!
Yep, love the wheels

Kinda iffy on the sidepipes.

I mean, I love the way they look, but I've had my fair share of legburns on my '29 coupe (enough to get rid of them)

Quote:
Originally Posted by padgett View Post
Paid a Grand for my Z06 but was a few years ago. Was thinking some stuff (instrument dials) looked later and the NY Vin means it is probable a car assembled from parts. Hope it has the later (large shaft) Muncie.

Does it have drum or disk brakes. ? and What year is the 327 (68 is best) ?

Can Ga-run-tee one thing, without AC it is going to be hot in Orlando. Pit crew had two things waiting for me to come in: a quart of chocolate milk (the perfect food) and a pail of water to dump over my head.
Yeah, all of my fun cars are no fun at all in the Florida sun

He says everything on it is all '64

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
What's with the state issued VIN?
Not much details on the Re-VIN

He says it's not from an accident and it the original VIN was just missing (umm, yeah.... ok)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
I would jump at a deal like that- I don’t care if it’s pure or not- looks cool.

I think 40-45k depending on how it looks in person.

Also the resto mod crowd won’t care that it’s modified. Throw an LS or LT motor in it
Yeah, I wouldn't go above $45

LS would be nice, but I've got a couple of Mark IV BB's in the back of my shop that I'd just throw in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71GP76TA View Post
50k... which is half price of a '63 in similar condition.
I've seen original '63's bring in A LOT more than that

Quote:
Originally Posted by 71GP76TA View Post
Picked this up a couple weeks ago. Its a '66.. powerglide .. not original engine but looks like a 327.. both tops.. runs and drives great.. paid $33,500... and it was only 15 minutes from my house.

Sweet!!

Attachment 569846
Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
I agree completely with the bird cage condition being a big factor. If it's rotten, any money saved up front will be a fraction of serious cage repair cost.

Because I'm familiar with the C2s (I own a well optioned '67) and have restored some for others, my offer would fall short of 40 based on pictures and a mystery engine. The biggest killer of all is the big orange VIN tag. Everything else is reversible.
That doesn't mean someone else won't pay more, but you asked for opinions.
Yeah, I wouldn't even bother if the BC was toast

Doesn't matter how pretty it is

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyrffytr1 View Post
My best friend (more like my brother) died last Saturday night. He has a 63 Corvette roadster with both tops, 4 speed, 327 I think. He told me before he passed that he would take 50, 000 for it. Also has a 57 Belair convertible and a 67 Dodge Charger that he was almost finished with when he passed.All three cars will be for sale when everything gets settled. I think the 57 is going to be in the 60-70,000 range and I have no idea on the 67 Charger yet.
With that being said I think the 64 you are considering would be in the 45-50,000 price range. Forgive me if I am wrong but I think the only MAJOR difference in the 63-64 body was the rear window divider. Some folks even had the divider removed from their 63s and replaced the back glass with a one piece from a 64 for better visibility.
Sorry for your loss

Be sure to post up details on the cars when the time comes

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem1912 View Post
"anything other than an original resto is considered blasphemy in the eyes of purists"

One reason I don't go to Corvette Shows, Had my '69 since '91 and attend many Corvette Shows. Purchased mine with a '70 frt end, I change back to a '69 one piece. You might think I put a Ford motor in it with all the purist telling me it should have bonding strips on it. You like it buy it!
Not gunna lie, there are those types from all camps

Vette guys are pretty bad, but Poncho and Mopar guys can rank up there as well

Hell, I even get sh!t from the Ford guys for having a BBC in my Model A which practically has nothing left that is original lol

The Following User Says Thank You to 98 SNAKE EATER For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2021, 10:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Back in 1980 a coworker had a 1967 Corvette coupe, Marlboro Maroon with a 350hp 327 and a 4 speed. He was selling it, and I could have bought it for around $6,000 if I remember correctly. It was a really nice one and I went as far as taking it for a test drive, but then I got practical and bought an economy car instead. I still regret that to this day.

He ended up trading it in at a dealer for a 1979 Anniversary Edition, which was about the worst Corvette ever. Not a good business decision on his part. After a few days he finally got buyer's remorse and tried to get his '67 back, but the dealer had already flipped it for a healthy profit.

Old 07-16-2021, 10:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not a corvette guy, I would run not walk away from that car. 64's are fairly priced compared to some of the 'rare' vettes and still have the classic look to them. Personally I would not want a car that is a 64 but supposed to look like 63. Biggest red flag to me is the state applied vin. Too many cars out there without such to choose from. To me that vin reduces the price by at least 40% and being that seller doesnt know why its there a reduction of about 60%

The Following User Says Thank You to TAKerry For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2021, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAKerry View Post
Not a corvette guy, I would run not walk away from that car. 64's are fairly priced compared to some of the 'rare' vettes and still have the classic look to them. Personally I would not want a car that is a 64 but supposed to look like 63. Biggest red flag to me is the state applied vin. Too many cars out there without such to choose from. To me that vin reduces the price by at least 40% and being that seller doesnt know why its there a reduction of about 60%
I would guess it is a car that didn't have a title and was assembled where many VIN parts are a mix / match. Since old Vettes have been chop shop fodder since the 70's, it may have some shady karma attached to some of the parts. Agree with your take on $.

Old 07-16-2021, 08:01 PM

Listing was removed

Seller claims he sold it, but I think he pulled it cause I was asking too many questions lol

Old 07-16-2021, 09:49 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
X2, I had a buddy from Arizona, many many years ago, who owned a true 63 Split Window Coupe. I drove it a few times. Not my favorite car for visibility.

For that car with the parts on it, I would be hesitant to pay over 20K for the thing.

I have helped more than one friend swap out a frame with a replacement GM Frame on those year vehicles.
All were in bad shape. New York = salt on the roads.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-18-2021, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
I am a Corvette guy, and this statement is right on the money. If it had a legit '64 VIN, given the overall condition of the car and the way it presents, it would be about a 45k car. The replacement VIN cuts that way down. My advice would be to spend the 45-50k on a legitimate '64 without issues. '63 split window coupes have more than doubled in value in the past 4 years. The other mid-years have only gone up slightly in value, with the exception of the '67 big block high HP cars.

Old 07-18-2021, 03:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98 SNAKE EATER View Post
Listing was removed

Seller claims he sold it, but I think he pulled it cause I was asking too many questions lol
How much was they asking for it?

Clay

Old 07-18-2021, 10:48 PM
Senior Chief

My dad bought his '63 in 1965. Pretty much original (327, 4-speed w/4.56:1 rear). Sold it about 15 years ago for $35k.

'69 Firebird 400 - Goldenrod Yellow, 455 +.060, '6s-7' heads, Comp Cam 276AH-10 (51-309-4), TH400, Ford 9-inch w/3.08, 800cfm Q-jet, Stock Intake, Hooker Headers, Flowmasters
'68 Coronet 500 Convertible - Medium Gold Metallic, stock 318 +100,000 miles
Old 07-21-2021, 12:22 PM

I've owned seven C2s 63-67 and a few C1s incl a 57 fuelie. I'm no expert but still follow the market. It seems now 50k is the average entry price for a nice original appearing example for a mid year. Of course 67s and 63 SWC bring the most.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Old 07-21-2021, 01:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The frame was updated for Big Blocks. Make sure yours is in order before you slide in a mark 1.
If the State is willing to issue a VIN, Its not going to be a stolen vehicle issue. Have seen these on plenty of Pontiacs
in the past, and not Trans Ams.
Chevy Corvette put BIG BLOCKS in front of POWERGLIDES... thats a hard pill for some to swallow !
This car is Perfect for a Driveline update if its strong enough to handle it.
Some folks by cars to USE, and have FUN with.
The investment in FUN cannot be measured with Dollars..
Its still a 45K car ...

Old 07-21-2021, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, the rear upper portion of the cross member was altered in 1965 to clear the balancer of the big block. Small block and big block cars got the same chassis. This is my 67 L79.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	notch.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	112.7 KB
ID:	570200  

Last edited by 400 4spd.; 07-21-2021 at 06:44 PM.
Old 07-21-2021, 07:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone else prefer the rag top over the desired fastback? If I hit the lotto, a white 327 with a black top / interior and 4 speed would be my desire.

Old 07-22-2021, 12:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Anyone else prefer the rag top over the desired fastback? If I hit the lotto, a white 327 with a black top / interior and 4 speed would be my desire.
i do.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
Old 07-22-2021, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post

For pure styling alone I prefer the coupe. It looks like its doing 150 standing still. The coupes are hot and leaky anyway, so why not have a soft top? Mine is a convertible and I have two optional hard tops, one painted and the other black vinyl covered.

Old 07-22-2021, 02:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
I have two optional hard tops, one painted and the other black vinyl covered.
That is pretty cool in itself........... top for the mood.

Old 07-23-2021, 04:58 PM

Quote:
I agree 1000%. That car has untold stories. There was an original car that had desirable options (big block, fuelie, etc) but was a hopeless wreck. The VIN was removed and used to build a car from the ground up into a big bucks high dollar restoration. The left overs is what is in front of you now, built like Frankenstein. Modified enough to qualify as a "home built", thus the NYS DMV VIN sticker. Two cars for the price of one VIN. I remember reading about the FBI going after several restoration shops for doing exactly what I described, shutting them down, making arrests for VIN tampering and causing a debate in the restoration community about how far you can go with a resto while maintaining purity and staying out of jail. I'm not a 'vette purest pissing on this car for it's modifications. I am saying buyer beware. I doubt it was put together with quality parts and craftsmanship.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I am a Corvette guy and love mid-year Corvettes. But here's my opinion on the subject.

I don't care for '63 Corvettes and wouldn't have one. I don't care for '64s that much either but at least they did a few things better. First is losing the split in the rear window which I don't like. They got rid of the hood grates which is better but the indentations are still hideous. They got rid of the wide stainless on the A pillers which is an improvement. They color matched the top of the center console which also was a nice improvement. Both years still had the antiquated 4 wheel drum brakes and the plain jane interiors.

65 - 67 are just so much nicer. What's nicer?
Disc brakes were standard.
Big block offered
Side pipes offered
Better looking hood
Much nicer looking vertical fender gills
Better looking gauges without the sucked in centers
Molded door panels look way better
Nicer looking seat upholstery

Here's my '66 that I restored:

Here's my '69 that I also restored:

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO

Last edited by roger1; 07-24-2021 at 07:59 AM.