Old 04-13-2002, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This part is so rare that I dont know what it is called or what it does. I would say it was a home made resisor of some sort but it has Kelsey Hayes stamped on it. This item is mounted on the drivers inner fender well in the engine compartmet. It is about 2 by 6 inches has one red wire to it and 3 terminals marked a c and d It is a steel or aluminm coiled wire runnng the length up down and back up. This rare part may be for sale once I find out what it is. Car has regular ponts ignition so it is not for the transistor stuff. I thought Kelsey hays only made wheels?? Can anyone older than me help idenify this part. No part numbers stamped on top havent removed it yet.

Old 04-13-2002, 11:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This part is so rare that I dont know what it is called or what it does. I would say it was a home made resisor of some sort but it has Kelsey Hayes stamped on it. This item is mounted on the drivers inner fender well in the engine compartmet. It is about 2 by 6 inches has one red wire to it and 3 terminals marked a c and d It is a steel or aluminm coiled wire runnng the length up down and back up. This rare part may be for sale once I find out what it is. Car has regular ponts ignition so it is not for the transistor stuff. I thought Kelsey hays only made wheels?? Can anyone older than me help idenify this part. No part numbers stamped on top havent removed it yet.

Old 04-14-2002, 07:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I forgot to mention that this part is on a 65 gran prix. Still need help Anyone ?????

Old 04-16-2002, 08:43 PM
Senior Chief

Can you post a picture of this part?

1964 Grand Prix
1966 Bonneville Brougham
1980 Trans Am - original owner
Old 04-16-2002, 08:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I could do things like that I would be a computer wizard which I am not. I just cant figure out what this is for. I would have left it on the car for the scrap man BUT I saw the Kelsey-Hays name etched into the base. Took it off today still no part number. Once again I thought Kelse-Hays made wheels not eletrical parts.I also figured Blackcat would have answered in the first ten minutes but I think I have stumped him on this one.I am really disappointed I thought he knew everything about big Pontiacs.

Old 04-16-2002, 09:10 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

Without a Pix I'm clueless! Send me one and I'll scan it for you! As for rare parts I have had 1 of 13 SD 3bbl NASCAR intakes!
Now how do you post pix here!

Old 04-16-2002, 10:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Txbobcat - don't have much knowledge of Kelsey-Hayes, but can tell you it is not at all unusual for a company to have made other parts than their major line. Witness that Mallory once made carburetors, Stromberg once made windshield wiper motors and shock absorbers, Holley was once big in ignition, just to name a few.

Blackcat, I think the 3 barrel manifolds were of lower production than the carburetors, although I have a letter from Carter stating they made from 15 to 20 of the carburetors.

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 04-18-2002, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I am back home now with the part. I will take a picture next few days and see if the wife can scan it in. If not maybe Blackcat can send me his address so I can send it off to him

Old 04-18-2002, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it possible its some kind of resistor for a KelseyHayes electric brake equipted trailer?
What is rare? Is 9 pints of Dupont Silver FireFrost rare?

My Daddy bought me a car but all I got was this old Pontiac.
Old 04-19-2002, 11:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Definitely a trailer brake resistor. I had a KH on my 68 Chevy truck. You can change the amount of brake grab by changing the position of the wires. There has to be a controller along with it that is inertialy or hydraulically activated.

Old 04-19-2002, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like Fasteddy wins the prize. The previous owner told me the car was used for pulling a very large trailer. Everything you said makes sense and coincides with the trailer pulling. BR421 was close but he hesitated at the last. Hey it was rare to me I had never seen one before. Thanks for your help.