Old 02-13-2002, 12:05 AM

Installing repro long branch headers in 1961 Ventura. Have oil filter adaptor for clearance on passinger side. Was told to use "short Solenoid" on drivers side. Bought a standard motors SS-251 "short", but plunger bore is too small. Need correct delco part number or model and year info that will work. Could change plunger or modify as last resort. Can anyone help?

Gary Ledbetter

Old 02-13-2002, 12:05 AM

Installing repro long branch headers in 1961 Ventura. Have oil filter adaptor for clearance on passinger side. Was told to use "short Solenoid" on drivers side. Bought a standard motors SS-251 "short", but plunger bore is too small. Need correct delco part number or model and year info that will work. Could change plunger or modify as last resort. Can anyone help?

Gary Ledbetter

Old 02-14-2002, 08:15 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

You need to bring your Starter into a professional shop and have them rebuild the starter using the short solonoid. It also needs a different insides to compensate for it.
Then you have to cover the copper extension to the end of the nose so it does not short out on the exhaust manifold! Hey been there and had all the fun!

Old 02-16-2002, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Blackcat/Duke,
I assume this longbranch setup was with a late model(65 up) motor. I have a set of 69 factory Firebird longbranch I am thinking about using on a 74 455 in a 62 Catalina. I have the angle oil filter stuff. Will I have these starter solenoid/ terminal clearance problems with the 455's starter? Any other types of clearance/fit problems? ( Turbo 400 tranny) Thanks!

Old 02-18-2002, 03:14 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

You shoule have no problems with a later 455 motor if you use the block mout starter and a late th400 trans.
However if you use the bellhousing mounted starter the Solenoid willhit the Later HO manifolds. The shape and curve is different.
You will also have to unbolt the manifold to change starters. The early 389's had a dented pan for clearence. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 03-06-2002, 02:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The factory solution for the Super Duty long branch was a reclocked starter nose cone which put the solinoid down under. I believe, but cant be sure that is was actually a part # from the first ohv Pontiac in 1955 which had a upside down starter. Reproductions are available from Ron Chalmers. They are available in cast iron or t6 aluminum. They are spendy but very accurate repros. I believe Nunzi has a hi torque mini for bellhousing mount that clocks correctly and may be less $$$.

My Daddy bought me a car but all I got was this old Pontiac.