Old 03-26-2002, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 1966 GP does not have the head rest option and I'm not comfortable without them. I suppose its a legacy of having them as mandatory in any car sold here since 1972. You get used to them. But also, I want them for the safety aspect of neck protection in the event of a rear end collision.

So, I just obtained a pair of seat backs with head rests from a PY member in New Mexico. The cost of getting them here to Melbourne would make your eyes water!!!! And, I haven't even started to get them recovered yet. That's gonna cost....

However, one thing I'd like to know is, on my original seats the seat back is a molded plastic panel.

On the head rest seats, its a pressed metal panel. Is this correct? Does anyone know why they would be different?

Old 03-26-2002, 06:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My 1966 GP does not have the head rest option and I'm not comfortable without them. I suppose its a legacy of having them as mandatory in any car sold here since 1972. You get used to them. But also, I want them for the safety aspect of neck protection in the event of a rear end collision.

So, I just obtained a pair of seat backs with head rests from a PY member in New Mexico. The cost of getting them here to Melbourne would make your eyes water!!!! And, I haven't even started to get them recovered yet. That's gonna cost....

However, one thing I'd like to know is, on my original seats the seat back is a molded plastic panel.

On the head rest seats, its a pressed metal panel. Is this correct? Does anyone know why they would be different?

Old 03-26-2002, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Heybuck, hope your original seats are truly '66 big car buckets. If not we can figure out what they are by upholstery patterns & other clues. Here are some ways to tell the differences on this era GM buckets...

'68 & later GM A-bodies had plastic textured rear backs & lower trim panels. '67 & earlier ('66) A-bodies had steel rear backs. GM big cars followed the same time frame. '68 big cars with buckets or split bench will have plastic back panels.

Along with steel textured backs, the '66 GTO (A-body bucket seat)has no button releases on the side. '66 Impalla & Bonneville bucket was basically same seat (gasp) but lower cushion was bigger & used different seat tracks.

'67 GTO (A-body) buckets had button release on the side & '67 GM big car buckets were similiar & again had "fat boy" lower cushions. Even Eldorado buckets from '67 can be made into '67 Bonneville buckets or with more work '67 GTO buckets. I would bet same is true of Riveria & Tornado buckets but I've only done this to '66 & 67 Eldo seats.

Might post some pics of your '66 bucket seats, if you can. Always good to hear from you, say hello to Lester for Misus [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[ March 26, 2002: Message edited by: ol' Pinion head ]</p>

Old 03-28-2002, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not too long ago, I owned one of the most loaded up 66 GP's that I had ever seen. Apart from all the hard to find options, it was a smog car, and had power vent windows. It also had headrests, and reclining passenger seat. The buckets had all metal fasica, and were identical in size to the buckets in my 66 GTO. The driver side was power seat, and appeared to be the same track size as the 66 GTO also.

I thought that 67 was the changeover to plastic fascia for all the bucket seats, as part of the government mandated safety rules.

Old 03-31-2002, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks OPH and Andre.

OK.... I'll put my hand up. I'm the biggest Klutz owner there is!!!

The truth is, my buckets are METAL. To tell you the facts, when I got the seats with the head rests, I had a look at the surface rust and thought mine just HAD to be plastic cause they are so good by comparison.

In fact I tapped mine with my finger nail and it even feels plastic. It was only when I got the two seats side by side (mine & the replacements) that I started to realise they are the same.

The best part is I can use my existing back panels on the replacement seats. I may or may not have to use the full replacement seat backs or hopefully my auto trimmer can adapt the head rest parts into my existing seats.

So, thanks guys. I'll make sure I check my facts a bit better next time before posting a question.

In a way though, I'm pretty pleased by my mistake. Shows how good the interior is in my car. Yes Andre, mine has the Power vents too. There are not too many things it hasn't got. One thing it doesn't have is the speedo gauges option. I'm looking for one.

Ian