Old 02-25-2002, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there a part number listed on the rear end housing on a 65 that I can cross reference to find out what gears are in there? Whether or not it is a posi or a safety track rear end and where would this number be on the rear end.

Old 02-25-2002, 09:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is there a part number listed on the rear end housing on a 65 that I can cross reference to find out what gears are in there? Whether or not it is a posi or a safety track rear end and where would this number be on the rear end.

Old 03-18-2002, 10:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Yes there is a code that'll tell you if it's posi or non-posi, and the gear ratio. You will find a two letter code beginning with either a U (non-posi), or V (posi). The second letter tell the ratio. Let me know what it is, and I'll tell you the ratio. It'll be any letter from A (2.41) through K (4.11). There were a total of 13 ratios available, but 2 were dealer installed. 3.90 and 4.33.

The location of the code is on the back side of the RH axle housing about a foot from the diff'l. It's location isn't exact, so try a few places. It's not near the extreme ends, so if you can't find it, keep trying. The letters are small, about 3/8" tall. Good luck.

Old 03-20-2002, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Mp thanks for the help. I just got in a factory service manual which showed pictures and stated everything as you said it. I sanded on that axle for quite some time but still didnt find the stampings. Will look more later.

Old 03-20-2002, 02:28 PM
Bonker's-T-Cat Moderator

The stamp is never where the pic's say! It can be on either side and on the top or bottom! I've found them all over the place! And to top it all they sometimed don't stamp them at all!
Best bet is to remove the cover and drain the fluid and look on the ring gear for the ratio.
you should find a number like 41:10 for 410's ect [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

Old 03-20-2002, 11:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Blackcat is probably right about that. I've looked for that code on 4 '65 fullsize Pontiacs over the years and a 69 Chev too. Found the code everytime except once in the general area they show.

The shop manual is what I use too, but it doesn't mention the 2 dealer installed ratios.

Might as well open it up and see whatcha got.

Old 03-22-2002, 08:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just put that on my to do list which is getting longer by the day. Trying to reinstall my fenders and doors today or should I say this week?