Old 04-07-2014, 09:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 76GrandPrixLJ View Post
Hi All,

First time poster, here's my 76 LJ, only 7071 miles on it!

[IMG][/IMG]
Welcome to the forum! That is a sweet ride. The JSB C6 next to it is not too bad either. I always loved the 2 tone scheme on these body styles.

Old 04-07-2014, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pontiacdaver View Post
Nice Grand Prix!! Can't quite see the front or back ends, to be sure of the year. but it looks like Firethorn Red I/O so I'm guessing a 77. Don't see many without a Landau top, I love how clean it looks. I noticed it has Grand Am Radial GT tires, the same company also used to make Grand Prix Radial GTs. Love to see any other pics you'd care to post,

Dave
Thanks Dave. It actually is a 76. I pulled the PHS just for the fun of it and it did not have the landau top. I did own a 77 Firethorne red back in the early 80's. Similar car including t tops however my last one had a 2 tone paint with a lighter red metallic on the top. That car also had the landau top.
I will post a few more photos when I get it back together. Just finished the engine install tonight and fired it up. Off to the exhaust shop tomorrow for a fresh set of magnaflows and then ready to cruise again. The car has 43k miles on it but the need to fix a few leaks lead to a mild roller cam and a set of prepped heads to punch it up a bit more. Thinking of doing a couple of legs of power tour this year from IN to IA and then visit my family back in Iowa. The GTO can sit home for a change this year. Maybe we can arrange a mid year Grand Prix get together in Indiana.

Old 04-07-2014, 10:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Hi All,

First time poster, here's my 76 LJ, only 7071 miles on it!

[IMG][/IMG]
Wow, that is a gorgeous GP!!! Welcome to the forums. I wouldlLove to see additional pics of it. And hear more about it, how you got it (bought new, family member?), options, that kind of stuff.

Thanks for posting, Dave

----------------------------------------------------------

2004 Grand Prix GT daily driver
1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 04-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsmymistress View Post
Thanks Dave. It actually is a 76. I pulled the PHS just for the fun of it and it did not have the landau top. I did own a 77 Firethorne red back in the early 80's. Similar car including t tops however my last one had a 2 tone paint with a lighter red metallic on the top. That car also had the landau top.
I will post a few more photos when I get it back together. Just finished the engine install tonight and fired it up. Off to the exhaust shop tomorrow for a fresh set of magnaflows and then ready to cruise again. The car has 43k miles on it but the need to fix a few leaks lead to a mild roller cam and a set of prepped heads to punch it up a bit more. Thinking of doing a couple of legs of power tour this year from IN to IA and then visit my family back in Iowa. The GTO can sit home for a change this year. Maybe we can arrange a mid year Grand Prix get together in Indiana.
Cool, I go back and forth between 73, 74, and 76 as my favorite year (aww, heck, I like em all), 1974 is the year I got my license, 1976 is the year I graduated. I'd love to see additional pics of your car as well. We could definitely see about meeting up, if you get near Indianapolis, we have The Suds, a Saturday night cruise-in hangout. Even though there may be upwards of 200 cars there, there are seldom any 73-77 GPs there.

I am glad to see as many posters on this thread so far, I knew there were several fans of the mid-70s GPs.

1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 04-08-2014, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Wow, that is a gorgeous GP!!! Welcome to the forums. I wouldlLove to see additional pics of it. And hear more about it, how you got it (bought new, family member?), options, that kind of stuff.

Thanks for posting, Dave
Thanks for the welcome!

It's an interesting story...
I learned to drive in 76 and my folks bought a new GP that year, dark blue with white vinyl top. I loved that car but it was driven through 9 Minnesota winters which took their toll as rust consumed it. I always wanted another one when time and finances would permit.
So.............
I'd been looking off and on over the years when three years ago I found an ad on CL from Chicago. The guy had bought it new after graduating from high school and basically rarely drove it (obviously). Per him, it's never been wet after he got it. He would dust it off but no rain ever touched it. He never wore shoes in it, only slippers when he drove it . He never removed the window sticker or EPA sticker off it either. A true unmolested survivor, even the original tires. He was selling it because he ran out of garage space for his growing Mopar muscle car collection and he decided it was time for it to go. He was a great guy with all the service docs for the car from Day 1. I paid more than I probably should have but geez, where ya gonna find another one?

It came with Rallye II's but I have them safely stored with the original tires in my basement. I love the look of Honeycombs and they are correct for the year. They are wearing NOS caps and trim rings. I put repop Goodyear Polysteels on it too.

I rebuilt the carb, changed all fluids, put in new plugs (kept originals) and changed the hoses and belts (kept those too) because I don't trust almost 40 year old rubber. Fortunately, he changed the oil every 2 years and the trans/coolant every 8-10 years. The stuff came out perfect but I wanted to establish a baseline going forward.

It's pretty loaded except it doesn't have the 455 (L78 400), Rallye Suspension or tach (oh well). Once I get it out of storage in a couple of weeks I'll get more pics posted. I just love the 73-77 Pontiacs and Olds and I feel 16 again whenever I get behind the wheel. This ones a keeper!

Old 04-08-2014, 09:33 PM

1973 J
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140113_173954.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	84.2 KB
ID:	359920  

Old 04-08-2014, 09:38 PM

73 J
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_7082497657508.jpeg
Views:	117
Size:	45.0 KB
ID:	359928  

Old 04-08-2014, 10:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETRA View Post
73 J
Nice 73, BETRA!! I am happy to see all the 73-77s being posted, I knew there had to be several of us lurking out there.

1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 04-08-2014, 11:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome!

It's an interesting story...
I learned to drive in 76 and my folks bought a new GP that year, dark blue with white vinyl top. I loved that car but it was driven through 9 Minnesota winters which took their toll as rust consumed it. I always wanted another one when time and finances would permit.
So.............
I'd been looking off and on over the years when three years ago I found an ad on CL from Chicago. The guy had bought it new after graduating from high school and basically rarely drove it (obviously). Per him, it's never been wet after he got it. He would dust it off but no rain ever touched it. He never wore shoes in it, only slippers when he drove it . He never removed the window sticker or EPA sticker off it either. A true unmolested survivor, even the original tires. He was selling it because he ran out of garage space for his growing Mopar muscle car collection and he decided it was time for it to go. He was a great guy with all the service docs for the car from Day 1. I paid more than I probably should have but geez, where ya gonna find another one?

It came with Rallye II's but I have them safely stored with the original tires in my basement. I love the look of Honeycombs and they are correct for the year. They are wearing NOS caps and trim rings. I put repop Goodyear Polysteels on it too.

I rebuilt the carb, changed all fluids, put in new plugs (kept originals) and changed the hoses and belts (kept those too) because I don't trust almost 40 year old rubber. Fortunately, he changed the oil every 2 years and the trans/coolant every 8-10 years. The stuff came out perfect but I wanted to establish a baseline going forward.

It's pretty loaded except it doesn't have the 455 (L78 400), Rallye Suspension or tach (oh well). Once I get it out of storage in a couple of weeks I'll get more pics posted. I just love the 73-77 Pontiacs and Olds and I feel 16 again whenever I get behind the wheel. This ones a keeper!
That's cool! As I stated before, I got my license in 1974 and graduated H.S. in 1976, so cars of those years appeal to me. The Honeycombs look sweet on the 2 tone Blue of your 76.
I will be keeping the Rally IIs on my 74, although with RWL tires, since my 74 of 30 years ago had them. Well, it also had the 8" Snowflakes off a WS6 T/A on it as well, I am attaching a couple of scanned pics of it. Both my recently purchased 74 and the 74 of yore (LoL), are/were 400 cars.

Keep 'em coming!!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Scan0004.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	74.3 KB
ID:	359935   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan0005.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	359936  

1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 04-09-2014, 01:32 PM

Beautiful 74, Pontiacdaver! What options did it come with?

Old 04-09-2014, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BETRA View Post
73 J
Beautiful 73! That brings back memories. My first car was a white 73 model J with sunroof, white vinyl top and black interior. I loved that car until it caught fire and burned to the ground. I hope you are enjoying the car.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Beautiful 74, Pontiacdaver! What options did it come with?
Well, that 74 was purchased Dec 17th, 1983. Unfortunately, I can't remember, other than the obvious ones; Sport mirrors, Rally IIs. It was a 400, and had A/C.

The "new" one, although it is still in WI at the original owner's (hoping to get it picked up within the next few weeks), is well optioned: Tach & gauges (on a Model J), cruise, tilt, A/C, PW, P-seat, RTS, AM/FM stereo. The best thing is is that it is a 110K completely original, unmolested car. Can't wait (imagine a kid waiting on Santa on Christmas Eve).

1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 05-02-2014, 10:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, I finally got the "new" 74 2 nights ago. I have been looking it over, and seeing what I got. I'm a little disappointed, it is rustier than I hoped (but it was a WI car, so what did I expect?), although the car came with painted doors and RF fender. And it is complete and unmolested. I will post some pics as soon as I can. He wasn't able to find the window sticker, yet, but I have every other piece of paper you got when buying the car. Car has A/C, tilt, cruise, PW, tach & gauges, Rally IIs, H/D alternator, RTS, Am/Fm stereo, RWD, sport mirrors, body side moldings, posi, P-trunk, F & R bumper guards, vinyl top are what I have seen so far. The interior is fairly nice, especially the white trim pieces which tend to disintegrate with age. I was able to get it to start (not bad for being parked in 1995) and run for just a minute.

I am going to work on it some more, but sadly, it may be more of a project than I am able to do. Stay tuned.

1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 05-03-2014, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Well, I finally got the "new" 74 2 nights ago. I have been looking it over, and seeing what I got. I'm a little disappointed, it is rustier than I hoped (but it was a WI car, so what did I expect?), although the car came with painted doors and RF fender. And it is complete and unmolested. I will post some pics as soon as I can. He wasn't able to find the window sticker, yet, but I have every other piece of paper you got when buying the car. Car has A/C, tilt, cruise, PW, tach & gauges, Rally IIs, H/D alternator, RTS, Am/Fm stereo, RWD, sport mirrors, body side moldings, posi, P-trunk, F & R bumper guards, vinyl top are what I have seen so far. The interior is fairly nice, especially the white trim pieces which tend to disintegrate with age. I was able to get it to start (not bad for being parked in 1995) and run for just a minute.

I am going to work on it some more, but sadly, it may be more of a project than I am able to do. Stay tuned.
Always disappointing when this happens. Hopefully after you digest the additional items it is not quite as bad as it seems. I have bought a few cars unseen through photos and typically end up doing quite a bit of work after they arrive. My 76 looked great in photos however he neglected to tell me a battery exploded underhood and damaged the paint on the core support, inner fender wells and engine. Took care of all of it a few weeks ago when I pulled the motor but extra work that I had not planned.

Good luck with the new car. Anxious to see photos.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by carsmymistress View Post
Always disappointing when this happens. Hopefully after you digest the additional items it is not quite as bad as it seems. I have bought a few cars unseen through photos and typically end up doing quite a bit of work after they arrive. My 76 looked great in photos however he neglected to tell me a battery exploded underhood and damaged the paint on the core support, inner fender wells and engine. Took care of all of it a few weeks ago when I pulled the motor but extra work that I had not planned.

Good luck with the new car. Anxious to see photos.
Thanks for the encouragement. I stopped by where the car is on my way home from work with a charged battery. I was surprised (and heartened) to see that everything electrical I could check without the car running, works! All lights I/O, turn signals, wipers, even the Am/Fm radio! I'll try to get the photos transferred from my camera tomorrow.

1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 05-06-2014, 12:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been there, done that (with someone on our forum). Pictures rarely tell the story and most sellers only disclose as much as they morally feel comfortable with to sell the car.
Be thankful you have minimal investment compared to the one I lost on.
Oh yea, it wouldn't be right if I didn't say "told you so"!

Old 05-06-2014, 05:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponchjoe View Post
Been there, done that (with someone on our forum). Pictures rarely tell the story and most sellers only disclose as much as they morally feel comfortable with to sell the car.
Be thankful you have minimal investment compared to the one I lost on.
Oh yea, it wouldn't be right if I didn't say "told you so"!
Well, my brother (literally as well as in the Pontiac world), I had that coming, LoL. But you are right, in this case, I shouldn't have bought with the heart. It is much better than a parts car and has every piece of documentation you could hope to find, so I will recoup what I have in it. It is very restorable, just beyond my limited resources.

1974 LeMans GT 455
Old 05-07-2014, 10:45 PM

This is the only pic I have right now of my 77 SJ. Pic was taken at Summit Racing BOP show in Tallmadge, OH. It used to be my dads car, which he gave to me a couple years before he passed away. Brentwood Brown metallic with a 400. True dual exhaust with Trans Am splitter tips and a Formula steering wheel. It is the second mid 70s GP I have had. First was a 76, which was painted the anniversary gold color (originally that crème color). The 76 was actually a daily driver for awhile, before I traded it in for a 93 Lincoln Mark 8 (that was stupid!). I have other pics of both cars which I will try and find at get posted up.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P1530898.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	89.7 KB
ID:	362813  

Last edited by GNvsTA; 05-07-2014 at 10:50 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:28 AM

Dave - how could I let your post get by me of all people?!?!?!? It was a Regatta Blue '74 GP that got me hooked on Pontiacs in the first place. A 3rd Gen GP reunion in Indiana has been suggested - GTOAA Nat's is coming to Columbus, IN next summer (2015) and is open to all Pontiacs. May I suggest a disco-era GP INVASION...? Dave & I got together for a little pre-run this week! We got a lot of attention with two - imagine what we could stir up with 20!

Old 05-19-2014, 06:08 PM

I tried to post my pics a couple of weeks ago, but it never showed up. Here's the Admiralty '74 SJ I bought last spring. A farm family owned it, It was bought new by the oldest son and passed down through five siblings, the youngest son having it until selling to a family friend (another teenager) a couple years before I bought it. The old car has taken a beating for 40 years and spent a LOT of time on dirt roads, but the red clay that's so hard to remove is revealing pristine steel underneath (unheard of here in the rustbelt where I live). I got the engine compartment detailed in the course of fixing a bunch of issues last summer. This year, I'm planning on going through suspension and brakes and maybe get the interior redone if time and funds allow...

Before:

After: