THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 12-13-2023, 05:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Cyberstuck...

https://www.autoblog.com/2023/12/13/...d-wasnt-an-ad/

'74 T/A 455 Y-code SD clone

previously on Dawson's Creek:

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 12-23-2023, 12:00 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to the-rookie

I saw one of these on the freeway today. It's a joke for a truck. It's funny looking.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

1963 Apollo 3500 Gran Turismo
Old 01-22-2024, 01:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default make that an 1/8th mile...it's the maths 👓

https://www.autoblog.com/2024/01/19/...ut-drag-a-911/

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 01-22-2024, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Elon is the man that made the public believe Full Self Driving was going to happen 5 years ago. He takes pride in his deceiving presentations and most common people just believe the augmented reality.

Old 01-22-2024, 05:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why are you guys so down on Tesla? If you don't like them don't buy one. Talk about ugly ever hear about Aztek. If I was 20 years younger I would buy a Plaid and blow the doors of 99 percent of you (with 6 people in the car and the AC on). Don't say I'm not a real Pontiac guy because I have owned them since 1964. Everything from a straight 8 to a 10 second GTO. At present I own 3 older ones. Is there a reason you can't like both?

The Following User Says Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2024, 06:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Because they're ugly and the marketing team cheated in a cheap stunt...a real pontiac guy would agree...lol 🤡

'74 T/A 400
'81 AMC SX/4
'69 FB 350
Old 01-22-2024, 06:11 PM

Some of us have no love for electric cars no matter how fast they are.

That is all.

That is our choice.

Never liked the Aztec either.

To each their own.

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2024, 06:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With that guy on the video, I don't think he knows what he's talking about.
Not saying the truck went faster than the Porsche in the 1/4, but think Musk was using hyperbole when he said that. They both don't know how the track works.
The ET ticket would have shown the truth.
I also think the truck was not geared (if that's what they use) for 1/4 or top speed like the Porsche.
The truck is very 'quick' in the 1/4 but runs out of steam probably around the 1/8th. It's probably just cruising after the 1/8th. (not accelerating much at all)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 01-22-2024, 07:53 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatracer1 View Post
Why are you guys so down on Tesla? If you don't like them don't buy one. Talk about ugly ever hear about Aztek. If I was 20 years younger I would buy a Plaid and blow the doors of 99 percent of you (with 6 people in the car and the AC on). Don't say I'm not a real Pontiac guy because I have owned them since 1964. Everything from a straight 8 to a 10 second GTO. At present I own 3 older ones. Is there a reason you can't like both?
EVs aren't an end, they're a means to an end. I can't really say anything else here.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share

Last edited by jhein; 01-22-2024 at 08:35 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2024, 12:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Why are you guys so down on Tesla?
Uh, have you not been paying attention? Unbreakable windows - that broke during the demonstration. It'll only cost $40K - it's $61K and up. When was the last time a VIP got ambushed by someone with a frickin' Tommy gun? They wanted the image of a long gun, but without the power. Enter .45 ACP. They never did mention the grain count used in that collectible, but I guarantee the guy with the tax stamp knows.

It has all been smoke and mirrors. Was this Cybertruck fitted with the quad motor? With that drop hitch, it couldn't handle a change in incline. And with the tail that high in the air, someone with a flat deck would need to lower the *Porsche onto it. On to the single axle car trailer (aluminum?) with a deck that's shorter than the li'l sports car. That's a good thing, 'cause it doesn't even appear to have ramps stowed underneath. PT Barnum would've been proud.

*slowest Porsche they make, right down to transmission choice

Old 01-23-2024, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about a 1964 "stock" 421 GTO in a race with a Ferrari GTO that never even happened? You have to take all these tests with a grain of salt. No electric vehicles are not the end all but they do have their place. If I was younger and had the money I would like one that I could take out and beat the snot out of without worrying about fouling plugs, over heating or over revving and breaking something. And NO I would not give up my old cars because they are fun in their own way. What's the difference between me and the guy/girl that replaces everything in his old car with modern stuff? LS engine, 6 speed computer controlled trans, Corvette front suspension and 4 wheel disc brakes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2024, 06:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"If" it was a priority, you'd make it happen.
Rent 1 for 1 month and report back.
Even Hertz rent a car got rid of the fleet cause nobody wants to even rent the dam thing's/

Last edited by KS circutguy; 01-23-2024 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-23-2024, 08:47 PM
Senior Chief

I don't want an electric car, yet. There is not enough infrastructure to charge them. There are too many problems with them that need to be addressed. Teslas are just plain ugly. I hate the looks of them. They may be faster, but I wouldn't want to be seen in one. Ever tried to put an electric car fire out? It is not easy, much harder than a conventional vehicle. Electric vehicles will bring about a whole new wealth of problems. There are a lot of cars faster than mine, a lot of "supercars", Ferrari, Porsche, Audi and so on, but I don't want any of those either. I liked the Aztek especially when Bob Lutz told them to remove the contrasting lower cladding. It was a pretty decent vehicle. It certainly wasn't any uglier than the Honda Element or whatever it was called.

Old 01-23-2024, 09:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks are just a matter of personal taste. Which one do you think is ugly? The 4 dr sedan looks like just about every other sedan. Like I said originally, If you don't like it don't buy it. Speaking of fires, ever hear of a Pinto? Mustangs had the gas tank as the trunk floor. Do you fly in airplanes? They have batteries that have caught fire also and you can't pull over and wait for a fire truck. If any car catches fire it most likely will be a total loss anyway. I never said I wanted one as primary transportation. I said it would make a good toy. As for the Aztek being "a pretty decent vehicle" that's a real ringing endorsement.

Old 01-23-2024, 09:38 PM

Quote:
How about a 1964 "stock" 421 GTO in a race with a Ferrari GTO that never even happened? You have to take all these tests with a grain of salt. No electric vehicles are not the end all but they do have their place. If I was younger and had the money I would like one that I could take out and beat the snot out of without worrying about fouling plugs, over heating or over revving and breaking something. And NO I would not give up my old cars because they are fun in their own way. What's the difference between me and the guy/girl that replaces everything in his old car with modern stuff? LS engine, 6 speed computer controlled trans, Corvette front suspension and 4 wheel disc brakes.

I like them both .
During the cold snap my Ram with Cummins would not start to help a another family member with frozen pipes. Tesla was -17F inside the car.
10 minutes on defrost nice and warm and ready to go help. I did have to wipe the dirt off the seats when we got home since it was a dirt floor crawl space.

By the way during winter with corrosives on the roads to melt Ice what Pontiac should I be driving?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	64
Size:	114.6 KB
ID:	627067  

67 White/Gold GTO 4 speed sold, 1968 GTO 4 speed sold, 1969 GTO auto sold, 68 Firebird 400 4 speed (455) sold, 65 GTO Night Watch Blue 4 speed sold, 64 GTO Nocturne Blue 4 speed sold, 71 GTO Gold auto sold. 1975 Formula 400 auto sold.
Hopefully to be restored, H-"O" Racing 73 Trans Am SD 4 speed,
Sons 70 Formula 400 auto, and wife's 1974 AMX 360 auto, 1975 Jeep Honcho 4x4, 1965 Buick Special post

Last edited by 455dan; 01-23-2024 at 09:43 PM.
Old 01-23-2024, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Looks are just a matter of personal taste. Which one do you think is ugly? The 4 dr sedan looks like just about every other sedan. Like I said originally, If you don't like it don't buy it. Speaking of fires, ever hear of a Pinto? Mustangs had the gas tank as the trunk floor. Do you fly in airplanes? They have batteries that have caught fire also and you can't pull over and wait for a fire truck. If any car catches fire it most likely will be a total loss anyway. I never said I wanted one as primary transportation. I said it would make a good toy. As for the Aztek being "a pretty decent vehicle" that's a real ringing endorsement.
Comparing a pinto gas tank fire to a Electric car Lithium battery fire.
You can't be that misinformed
?
Airplane fires, goood god man,
Did you see the Fire Marshall video explain the dangers of Lithium car batteries? The EVs will not go out if burning, and they are so caustic, get away from them ASAP! I've read here of Hurricane Ida in Fla, days after storm had passed, EVs started spontaneously combustion, and they would just start burning. And if you keep 1 of these vehicles, battery replacement will be $13,000 to $28,000, depending on vehicle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HED0bqemFuM

Old 01-23-2024, 11:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The cause of the fire that destroys your car really doesn't matter. If you don't like the Pinto example how about the Fieros that caught fire while you were just driving along. I know lithium batteries can catch fire spontaneously. In 2 years there have been over a hundred lithium battery fires on AIRPLANES. Are you going to not fly? I have a lithium battery embedded in my body. It keeps me alive. Do I worry about airplanes or my battery? No. I wouldn't worry about my car battery either. The chance my car being in a bad accident are greater than it catching fire all by itself. In either case that's why I have insurance. I have seen cars burn to the ground in seconds long before there were lithium batteries.

Old 01-24-2024, 12:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Exploding Pintos were a myth. The one that grabbed all the headlines? Six year old Pinto died in the fast lane of a freeway - subcompacts getting rear ended at ~50 mph never fare well. With more than three million built, there were only 27 fatalities. And several of those had rags for gas caps. Even a larger vehicle, like a 79 Malibu, caught fire after being rear-ended by a drunk driver. Again, 50+ mph. The square body Chevy/GMC pickups also weren't bursting into flames. There was a concerted effort to demonize the automobile back then.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fiero.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	627075  

Old 01-24-2024, 12:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't understand the need to post every derogatory story about Teslas either, but it's not worth arguing with each other about it here on the board. Don't read this discussion if you don't like it.

Old 01-24-2024, 10:38 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
How about a 1964 "stock" 421 GTO in a race with a Ferrari GTO that never even happened?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Original & Chunky.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	627093