Old 03-29-2015, 05:43 PM

Default Wanted: 1968 Big Car Parts

I need the following parts for a 68 Grand Prix roller I am bringing back to life. Bought a base 68 GP roller out of Reading, PA last year. I picked up a correct 68 400 ci engine, trans, driveshaft and yoke from an Executive for the car and rebuilt the drivetrain. Added a 68 4 bbl cast iron intake to run a Qjet ready to drop it all in shortly. Need the following things.....

1. Throttle rod for a 4bbl car to hook carb up (have the rest of the pedal linkage)
2. Need a pair of rear wheel opening trims, want to run "skirtless" not a fender skirt guy
3. Need a stock black or blue steering wheel (car currently has a small custom wheel) I have a correct center button, need just a wheel
4. Console shifter knob ( car has what I believe is a LeMans "T" style knob)

I am a Buick and Pontiac guy currently own a 65 LeSabre convertible and a 66 Wildcat coupe along with the 68 GP. As you can see I like being different. I may need more items as I go along. Just joined this site looking for help.
Mike

Old 03-30-2015, 09:52 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ask John Hugentober ... he runs the FB page ... great guy ... has lots of parts ... and loves your year so he may have whatever you need?

https://www.facebook.com/groups/4483..._comment_reply

1970 GTO Convertible 455 Ram Air M-21, Atoll/Blue/Black, Hood Tach, 3:31 12-Bolt Posi, A/C, Console

1966 Grand Prix 421 Tripower 4spd, Marina Turquoise/Turquoise, a/c, console, posi, reverb. pa, pb, ps, remote mirror, mats

2010 Dodge Challenger R/T Classic, 6spd Hemi, Detonator Yellow, black stripe, black leather
Old 04-02-2015, 12:44 PM

Thanks Phil!

'57 Chieftain - 455 2-4Bbl
'57 Star Chief 4-door
'62 Grand Prix, 389
'63 Wagon 421 2-4Bbl 4 speed
'66 Catalina 421 Convertible
'67 Catalina 2dr. sedan - 400
'68 Grand Prix - 400 - 4 Bbl
'73 Grand Am
2006 Solstice

Old 04-02-2015, 02:14 PM

Default 68 Pontiac Big Car Parts

Guys, I am a lifetime Buick, Pontiac guy but I am new to this forum. I am very active on the AACA, BCA and the V8 Buick sites. I have access to a few old yards in my area and I flip parts on line to kind of help offset the cost of my toys. My love for Pontiacs goes way back but lately I had only owned a few Buicks. Then I saw the 1968 GP languishing and thought it had a shot. I got it at a good price as a roller, last PA inspection was 2011 I found a 68 drive train from an Executive. A lifelong friend of mine owns a very respected speed shop in my area and did a nice rebuild on my 400. It is ready to install. The engine was nothing special as a 2 bbl 400 but between some nice head work and minor performance mods and a 4 bbl intake and correct Q Jet the car should run out well. I don't think this car will be an easy car to finish and I plan on making it a nice driver for cruise in nights.
I got a nice drive shaft and yoke from Arizona Pontiac so everything is there to get it moving under it's own power.

Need a 4 bbl throttle rod and brackets
Need a usable black or blue steering wheel (I have a center button)
Need a pair of rear wheel opening trims (I want to run "skirtless" if possible but have a pair of skirts) if I have no choice.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:56 PM
Senior Chief

As the owner of a 68 Bonneville, I think I can comment on a couple of the items you are looking for.

1. Throttle linkage pieces - someone here will have them. But you really need to ask the mods to move this to late big cars section. Also, as there are not an awlful lot of us, you may find that posting in the early big cars will get a wider audience.

2. The wheel well trim will also show up. You are looking for pieces from a catalina. Did the executive have them, I'm not certain? Watch ebay, might try CPR, I got NOS from them a few years back very cheaply. You may want to consider reconditioning used pieces until something better comes along.

3. A steering wheel? Oh, boy. Good luck here. Hens teeth for anything in decent shape for any kind of reasonable money. Was a red one on ebay for like $400 +. Most go aftermarket or convert to the wood wheel. One long term option "might" be the A-body wheel that is supposed to be in proto-typing for reproduction. It would be smaller, but hard to spot as incorrect.

4. Consul shifter will also show up. Keep watching and waiting.

My advice is buy another parts car and hang on to it.

Old 04-02-2015, 04:25 PM

Yeah, the steering wheel is gonna be tough. I already found that out. I hope that the forum here will come through for what I need right now and for future needs. I will be happy to take used 1967 or 1968 Catalina rear wheel opening trim pieces. The car will eventually be a nice driver.

Old 04-02-2015, 05:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

In a junkyard near here (Fredericksburg, VA) are two '68 GP's. There are lots of good parts between the two include:

bucket seats; parchment
rear bumper and tail light lenses
soft ray glass
one still has the hideaway headlights
trunk lids
center console

There is also a '68 Bonneville 4 dr in the same yard although I can't get into it due to the trees grown up around it.

2 more to go :-)
Old 04-02-2015, 08:09 PM

Thanks for the heads up. Do either have a usable steering wheel, if either has an engine with a 4bbl intake I need the throttle rod and bracket that comes from the fire wall to the carb. Can you get me some pictures of the cars in and out? Interior parts could be a help as I get this thing going as well.

Mike

Old 04-02-2015, 09:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Michael,

Anybody doing one of these cars needs help, trust me.

There's a few 68's in a yard that I frequent, and all of them are/were 4 barrel cars, and I'm pretty sure the rod and bracket you need should be there. I pulled the intake off one of them, and I think the rest of it is still there. Not sure what your timeframe is, but I'm trying to get back there in the next month or two (hopefully).

I've got a set of mouldings. 4 of the pieces are already polished up; the 2 small pieces I didn't get to, so they need to be cleaned up, a couple dimples straightened, and polished. I've got a steering wheel too (black). It's "useable"; it's complete but has a couple small 1/8" crack/gaps in the "clear" part. It's not perfect, but decent and I've definitely seen worse.

If you're interested and these sound close enough to what you're looking for, and you want to talk about it, let me know.

Alan

Old 04-03-2015, 07:41 AM

I agree that it is gong to be somewhat of a challenge to get some things. It seems that the 67 - 68 GP's share lots with the big cars from the doors to the front of the car, after that I think you are on your own! I like driving something different though so it's worth it to bring the car back. I know little about it other than what I have learned on line over the last 8-9 months. I will get some pics together as soon as possible. Car is at a friends garage.

Car was originally gold with a black vinyl top, somewhere in it's life it got a dark blue paint job and dark window tint (which I have yet to remove), was raced running a 428. I has a reasonable interior (black) could use a better rear bumper. I don't know what rear end is in it either. I found a dash pad, decent trunk lid and a hood that was not rusted through near the rear braces. The headlight doors are Cyclops right now one up and one down, haven't even addressed that yet.

Yes I need help and probably will need more parts, technical help as I go along. I see it being a nice cruise in driver in the not too distant future.

Old 04-03-2015, 08:16 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Glad to see another one of these being brought back to life. These cars have grown on me the last few years.

The folks on this board are here to help, and there's a ton of information and smart people on it. I sent you a couple emails regarding the parts you're looking for.

You found a good hood? Good for you. Mine's got some rust in the same exact places, so I need one too.

Looking forward to seeing this one as you go along. Pics - yes!

Alan

Old 04-03-2015, 10:43 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So you know. The T handle was factory in 68. Both of my 68 GPs vs
came that way.

Old 04-04-2015, 08:17 AM

I have a good working "T" handle shifter knob. I thought it might have come from a LeMans or Tempest, so I guess I'm ok there. Can you take a picture of the throttle linkage from the pivot on the firewall to the carb to show me the exact linkage set up?

My car was a 2bbl, linkage gone from the firewall to the carb and it would have been different anyway. I got a 68 4bbl intake and Q-Jet that is on the motor now. I am ready for the install of the engine within a month or so. I will need to see exactly what I need to make it all work. The guys on this forum have been outstanding, rival anything I have experienced with my Buicks. I feel like Dr Frankenstein building my monster from sourced parts!

The sad part is that there is a guy with literally 2000 cars on a mountainside near me. It is full of 50's through 70's cars. It is loaded with 60's full size Pontiacs (there is 421 2+2 Catalina shell up there, among others. All of what I need here could be sourced there but the current elderly owner is in and out of medical care and the person who will get it all knows exactly what he has and is a real A-hole. He took me on a tour of it all and I was amazed but he won't let you in there and he won't commit to helping you either. Sad, the cars are closed up have complete interiors and were driven up there and parked in the 70's when the gas crunch made them worth nothing. It is like a museum there. Saw complete cars that would make your jaw drop, many looking like they would fire up just sitting there. One of 3 67 - 68 GP's is a complete 428 car all intact mint interior, Oh well!

Old 04-05-2015, 01:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I can get some pics. I may be able to supply a linkage also. Pat

Old 04-05-2015, 08:08 AM

The response here has been nothing short of amazing. Thanks.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Can I get your email? I am having a problem posting pictures. Thanks Pat.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Can I get your Email? I am having problems with the site. Patrick.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:34 PM

turbocoupe1@hotmail.com
I don't think that the PM is working. I tried to PM a guy and no response.

Mike

Old 04-06-2015, 02:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was having trouble posting pictures earlier. Here are the linkages from my 400 GP, and 428 Bonneville chrome valve covers. I just need the bracket that swivels the linkage by the distributor.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	NCM_0237.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	394722   Click image for larger version

Name:	NCM_0236.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	394723   Click image for larger version

Name:	NCM_0233.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	394724   Click image for larger version

Name:	NCM_0234.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	394725  

Old 04-10-2015, 04:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Check your email, Mike. Should have everything you need now.

Alan