Old 10-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question on lighting and doors

blown69, the high windows are great! I am always surprsied more people don't install more windows and up high at that... helps keep lazy (too lazy to bring and climb a ladder, that is), prying eyes out and the light up above seems to "flood" better than lower windows.

ho428, on the second group of pix, is that an attached outhouse? I also like the bay identifiers!

another design preference question for everyone: if materials cost wasn't an issue, would you prefer to have a door for each bay or one or two doors with one (or several) 'blind' bays?

it would seem that heating and cooling is less costly with fewer doors but is needing to move cars around (on dollys) a big P.I.T.A.?

Old 10-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear

ho428, on the second group of pix, is that an attached outhouse? I also like the bay identifiers!

it would seem that heating and cooling is less costly with fewer doors but is needing to move cars around (on dollys) a big P.I.T.A.?
LOL, no outhouse. I didn't have room for big sheds so I built 2 small lean to's. One for lawn-garden stuff, one for the Air Compressor, back up generator and general storage.

I have a 3 ton AC and heat. The doors may hurt some but our climate isn't to harsh here.
The three bay doors I like the way my 24 x 44 is situated on the property. Given a preference I'd have liked an end door and angle park, but that would take a bigger building. Only thing I'd have done different is gone 28' deep.
I tried the dolly's, they were a PITA
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0131.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	106733   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0132.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	66.6 KB
ID:	106734  

Last edited by ho428; 10-03-2007 at 03:04 PM.
Old 10-09-2007, 09:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here's mine. I put heat in last winter and plan to insulate and rock it this fall. My birds stay inside while my CTS and GC are out in the weather.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Garage1.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	157.9 KB
ID:	107359   Click image for larger version

Name:	Garage3.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	174.2 KB
ID:	107360  

Old 10-10-2007, 08:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stgenbird
Here's mine. I put heat in last winter and plan to insulate and rock it this fall. My birds stay inside while my CTS and GC are out in the weather.
Sweet garage and even better Cars !! I'm in Upstate New York... I to am getting ready for "that time of year". My last hurr-ah for the season is a Pontiac Event Novemebr 10th in NJ at the ATCO drag track (car show and drags!) After that my GTO goes into a storage unit and my TA (drag/street car) goes into my small bay and the new project 1968 Lemans (drag/street) goes into the lift bay for a frame off..., our 1963Lemans goes into a box storage unit behind our house... Let it snow - We've got a fun winter ahead with plenty of car project work to do !!!

One good thing that we have is "down time" in the winter months up here in the north. It allows us to focus in on one thing - CARS!!!

Old 10-10-2007, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looking at all these garages is making me anxious to build my own garage. Just started the permiting process yesterday . It will be a three car garage. 40x30 CBS with 12' ceilings, three 8x8 doors, and a lift in one bay. I also had the trusses designed for a 14' open area that will give me 560 sq/ft of attic space. I hope to start laying the foundtion by the end of the year with my goal to be able to use it by the xmas holidays. I'll post some progress pictures as I go along.

Thnks to all who have posted their pics here. They gave me ideas on my design.

67 Firebird Convert 455 +.060 TH400 74cc KRE d-ports piston dished 16cc H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam 108* LSA 253/260 @.050 duration .577/.594 lift w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.50 Detroit Locker M/T Sportsman Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s
Old 10-10-2007, 11:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 67 455 Bird ragtop
Looking at all these garages is making me anxious to build my own garage. Just started the permiting process yesterday . It will be a three car garage. 40x30 CBS with 12' ceilings, three 8x8 doors, and a lift in one bay. I also had the trusses designed for a 14' open area that will give me 560 sq/ft of attic space. I hope to start laying the foundtion by the end of the year with my goal to be able to use it by the xmas holidays. I'll post some progress pictures as I go along.

Thnks to all who have posted their pics here. They gave me ideas on my design.
Really consider mounting your lighting on your walls especially near your lift. I never have to use a lead light. Think about as the car goes up and your lighting is on the ceiling???... casts a big shadow the higher is goes. Plus even if you are work in the interior or under the hood... if the lights are on the walls... then light can go into the interior and under the hood.

I think you will be very pleased if you mount the lights on the walls.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by triathlonx13
Really consider mounting your lighting on your walls especially near your lift. I never have to use a lead light. Think about as the car goes up and your lighting is on the ceiling???... casts a big shadow the higher is goes. Plus even if you are work in the interior or under the hood... if the lights are on the walls... then light can go into the interior and under the hood.

I think you will be very pleased if you mount the lights on the walls.
Thanks for that tip. I had already read this in another post. Maybe one of yours. I left them off the original design but have since penciled them in. Made perfect sense when it was mentioned.

67 Firebird Convert 455 +.060 TH400 74cc KRE d-ports piston dished 16cc H-beam rods Comp Cam 305-AH-8 cam 108* LSA 253/260 @.050 duration .577/.594 lift w/1.65 rockers Ford 9" 3.50 Detroit Locker M/T Sportsman Radials 31x18x15 on Convo Pro 15x15s
Old 10-10-2007, 10:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine-Ear
a work in progress is my favorite entry at ANY car show...this is a "garage show" and you betcha yours is worthy!!

Bull, thanx for the kudos...the place is sorta nearby. I don't want to go into too many details where it is, and I am actually wondering if I should even post pix of the outside of the place considering it's a distinctive building... well, if you (or any true Pontiac person) drive past the place, stop in for a tour and a cold Blatz.
wow! Where do I start? I love this thread. As a true car nut of all shapes and sizes, i find myself just as big a nut for garages of all types and sizes. I never met a garage i didn't like!
About 8 years ago, i bought a second home in the country within an hour and a half from my house. My objective was a garage to make into my dream or at least the space to build one. All of this while giving me space to run my cars on scenic lightly traveled roads. I found a great set up with a garage i could improve to fit my needs, oh and a nice little home to boot. Of course I want more space but i am already well over the limits of the county. Luckly, the building was there first so they can stop me from more but can't take away what i have.
This brings me to part 2. I have always wanted to comment on this subject. I feel slighted when people who have the talent and skills to do their own work compain about people who can't. While i am a strong mental wrench and can do minor work, I am not a mechanic. Just because I can't tear down a motor does not mean I can't enjoy the hobby. There are thousands of us who have professions that are not car related. Some fix teeth, trade bonds or teach children. So if their garage is for storing, displaying and hangin out; great. If the hobby were limited to only people who could work on their own cars it would not be nearly as large or nearly as fun , in my opinion. (and we would not enjoy the pluthra of aftermarket, NOS and repop stuff). That being said I am not a fan of the speculator, I do prefer people with a passion not a strait financial motive.
There is also a couple things i like people to know about me.
1. I love to learn about it all, that includes the specific mechanicals.
2. I love to drive, I do not trailer (unless of inclement weather) and I get out and drive even my rarest original drivetrain stuff...........the way they were meant to be driven.
3. I respect and admire everyones participation in the hobby. From $500 car to $5 million car.
This is not meant to offend only to defend the car guy who wears a diferent hat during the week.

John

PS Matt, I get to Milwaukee fairly often and would love to see your building. Right now I have been going up to Children's Hospital because my 3 year old broke his femur and is in a body cast and they are doing the "restoration"

Old 10-10-2007, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHorsepower
wow! Where do I start? I love this thread. As a true car nut of all shapes and sizes, i find myself just as big a nut for garages of all types and sizes. I never met a garage i didn't like!
About 8 years ago, i bought a second home in the country within an hour and a half from my house. My objective was a garage to make into my dream or at least the space to build one. All of this while giving me space to run my cars on scenic lightly traveled roads. I found a great set up with a garage i could improve to fit my needs, oh and a nice little home to boot. Of course I want more space but i am already well over the limits of the county. Luckly, the building was there first so they can stop me from more but can't take away what i have.
This brings me to part 2. I have always wanted to comment on this subject. I feel slighted when people who have the talent and skills to do their own work compain about people who can't. While i am a strong mental wrench and can do minor work, I am not a mechanic. Just because I can't tear down a motor does not mean I can't enjoy the hobby. There are thousands of us who have professions that are not car related. Some fix teeth, trade bonds or teach children. So if their garage is for storing, displaying and hangin out; great. If the hobby were limited to only people who could work on their own cars it would not be nearly as large or nearly as fun , in my opinion. (and we would not enjoy the pluthra of aftermarket, NOS and repop stuff). That being said I am not a fan of the speculator, I do prefer people with a passion not a strait financial motive.
2. I love to drive, I do not trailer (unless of inclement weather) and I get out and drive even my rarest original drivetrain stuff...........the way they were meant to be driven.
3. I respect and admire everyones participation in the hobby. From $500 car to $5 million car.
This is not meant to offend only to defend the car guy who wears a diferent hat during the week.

John

PS Matt, I get to Milwaukee fairly often and would love to see your building. Right now I have been going up to Children's Hospital because my 3 year old broke his femur and is in a body cast and they are doing the "restoration"

Amen Brother. YOU get it..................

Old 10-10-2007, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cool next time you're in town...

...drop me a PM a few days in advance, Johnny horsepower!

ditto what KerryH said!!

Old 10-11-2007, 06:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Since getting back into the hobby seriously (ie, owning a car again instead of just reading, dreaming and drooling) after a 20 year hiatus, I must tell you, the online boards and people I've been meeting show me that the majority of people are not mechanics. Most everyone though, from light hobbyists to extremely talented and knowledgeable people who also make a living from this hobby, THEY ARE ALL willing to share their expertise in some way. Hence this board! And most with a level of patience that's frankly, surprising. CP.com seems to be made of up mostly hard core folks, of an average age of, let's just say, experience. And yet when I was asking basic questions, every one of them was willing to chime in with great advice and tips. And of course, that holds true for this board as well.

What can I say, I'm getting all teary eyed because tomorrow I head out to Hershey, PA for the WORLD'S largest swap meet!

469, M21, 3.42

Old 10-11-2007, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamIsAdam
Since getting back into the hobby seriously (ie, owning a car again instead of just reading, dreaming and drooling) after a 20 year hiatus, I must tell you, the online boards and people I've been meeting show me that the majority of people are not mechanics. Most everyone though, from light hobbyists to extremely talented and knowledgeable people who also make a living from this hobby, THEY ARE ALL willing to share their expertise in some way. Hence this board! And most with a level of patience that's frankly, surprising. CP.com seems to be made of up mostly hard core folks, of an average age of, let's just say, experience. And yet when I was asking basic questions, every one of them was willing to chime in with great advice and tips. And of course, that holds true for this board as well.

What can I say, I'm getting all teary eyed because tomorrow I head out to Hershey, PA for the WORLD'S largest swap meet!
I agree, i have gotten a ton of great help from this, the yenko and other boards. I think they are invaluable. The prejudice i'm talking about is not that prevalent on the boards or the mags I read, but what little there is, i feel is wrong.
I do know the internet has helped fill and decorate my garage

John

Old 10-11-2007, 11:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyHorsepower

John

John, what you failed to mention is that you actually DO have some really rare stuff!! And I know you do really drive the cars!!

I was gonna ask why I havent seen you around the club in a while, but you already answered my question. Im sorry to hear about your son. He's one hell of a cute kid. My thoughts are out to you, Jet and your son for a speedy recovery.

Old 10-12-2007, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66
John, what you failed to mention is that you actually DO have some really rare stuff!! And I know you do really drive the cars!!

I was gonna ask why I havent seen you around the club in a while, but you already answered my question. Im sorry to hear about your son. He's one hell of a cute kid. My thoughts are out to you, Jet and your son for a speedy recovery.
Thanks Paul, he is being a brave boy! It's a real job for all of us.
We missed the uprising for the first time in many years because of the weather, but we're still tigers!

John

Old 10-12-2007, 10:09 AM

I forgot to post shots of my slice of heaven.
40 x 50 framed and finished,insulated , floorguard and a half attic. Low profile heater, dehumidifier with built in drain and wired for ac, but have not got one yet because the dehumidy works great. Full security/fire with double deadbolts, motion detectors and cellular backup etc. ( and I bribe the local cops to swing by often)

Pics will incude a before shot from when i purchased it.

John
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Garagemahalbefore.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	107627   Click image for larger version

Name:	garagemahal704005edit.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	107631   Click image for larger version

Name:	garagemahal704006edit.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	45.4 KB
ID:	107632   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fritz70th003-1.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	134.5 KB
ID:	107633   Click image for larger version

Name:	006-2.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	76.0 KB
ID:	107634  

Last edited by JohnnyHorsepower; 10-12-2007 at 11:29 AM.
Old 10-12-2007, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Uh John, I dont see the T/A?? Dont tell me you sold that thing.

Old 10-12-2007, 11:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, progress has slowed down since the speedy pace of the initial 17-day build. But, I do have some new pics to share.

The finish grading/gravel driveway was completed last week. The crew did a good job, although the guy operating one of the machines did hit the building and break two of the corner trim boards . But, the company called me to let me know what happened and said they'd pay for the fix.

My builder came back last weekend to install the custom, oversize windows on the back wall of the second story. They look awesome, offer a great view, and let in tons of light.

Finally, two out of three of my garage doors were installed today, by the local Overhead Door Company office. The rear door will still be a couple weeks out, thanks to having to special order the high-lift tracks that will keep the door as close as possible to my 12' ceiling in the back "work" bay.

You can see, if you compare these pics to those that I posted weeks ago, that the siding has taken on a rich golden color. I need to get it sealed up before it gets too cold now, and lock in the beauty. I'll be posting a question on the board here about my options.

Thanks for looking.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have been following this thread for quite some time. I am in awe as to what some of you are capable of building. I finally had my camera out today and shot a couple of photos of my "pole barn". My house is only 1200 s.f. and my shop is more that double that. Shows you where my priorities are.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_1132.JPG
Views:	225
Size:	192.6 KB
ID:	108002   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1135.JPG
Views:	197
Size:	100.7 KB
ID:	108003   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1137.JPG
Views:	206
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	108004   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1140.JPG
Views:	239
Size:	119.9 KB
ID:	108005  

Old 10-14-2007, 09:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice "pole bar" 74SDformula !!! Looks like you have a lot of nice stuff and the space and equipment to enjoy the sport/hobby. Yup my dish washer doesn't work right now.... but my Lift sure does !!!

Old 10-15-2007, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Bull - I really like the 45-degree wall studs... beyond the aesthetic appeal, is there any other motivation for doing it that way? You may have mentioned this, but how tall is your garage and what floor area is it?

74SDFormula - a 1200 SF house & a 2400 SF garage? ...PRICELESS!

Last edited by Engine-Ear; 10-15-2007 at 11:07 AM.