Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-25-2021, 02:53 PM
Senior Chief

Question Checking Air/Fuel Ratio (test equipment)

I was wondering if anyone could recommend a wideband setup that I could add to my tool box as another piece of test equipment?

It looks like most are designed to install and stay with the vehicle but I'm looking for something that I can move from car to car as I have a few that I would like to check to make sure each carburetor is performing properly. Something that slides into the tailpipe and then temporarily run the harness to the interior for each test drive is what I'm hoping is out there.

Thanks

Old 04-25-2021, 05:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The sensors themselves will deteriorate quickly if they are not powered up when the vehicles is running. So yes if you plan to swap from car to car you will want something that will be easily removed.

Innovate sells a fixture that allows you to slip the sensor in the tailpipe. https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B000CO9M...AAOENX8G&psc=1
And then you'll probably need an extension harness for the controller hookup. Putting it in the tailpipe probably will not be as accurate (at a minimum there will be a lag during transients since the exhaust pulse has to reach the sensor). If running duel sensors you would not be able to get a true bank to bank reading if the exhaust has a crossover prior to the tailpipe.

Old 04-25-2021, 06:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've been using the Innovative LM-1, or what was called the LM-1 back then, for about 25 years. Still on the same 02 sensor. Great tuning tool. I just buy 02 bungs in bulk and weld them into the exhaust of the car in question, as the tail pipe readers are sketchy at best.

It's been a great product that I've moved from car to car for a couple decades.

I also use a permanent innovative gauge mounted in one of the cars to monitor one side while the sniper 02 monitors the other side. Actually doing this in 2 cars at the moment. The permanent 02 gauges work fine too.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 04-25-2021, 07:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I use a FAST dual gauge that is usually in my race car. If I need it I take it out, use it and put it back in, I mount it with velcro in the race car and let it sit on the seat of the car I'm tuning.. It has two sensors and can log data, works great.

Old 04-25-2021, 07:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

AG brings up a good point. The small gauges we are using from Innovative, while I have them mounted in the cars, they will also data log like the portable LM-1 that I use.

In fact, as AG mentioned, the small gauge is much cheaper to buy, and doesn't necessarily need to be mounted in the car. You can tape it to the dash and do your tuning, data log etc... and remove it when done.

The only catch if moving that from car to car is wiring it up for power that might get to be monotonous as the LM-1 portable deal just plugs into the cig lighter and uses a 9 volt battery in the unit.

Old 05-04-2021, 01:37 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks guys it looks like I'll go with something from Innovate.

So why would a tail pipe probe be less accurate than a bung near the engine?

Old 05-04-2021, 01:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lintmann View Post
Thanks guys it looks like I'll go with something from Innovate.

So why would a tail pipe probe be less accurate than a bung near the engine?
As already mentioned ,any readings after the mufflers or more than 24" from the condensed gases /collectors would be sketchy and probably highly inaccurate.

The Following User Says Thank You to 68WarDog For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2021, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, you want to be within a couple feet from the collector to be accurate. Plus the tail pipe readers can tend to mix outside air with the exhaust gas and skew the reading since the sensor in most cases is only a few inches in.

The Following User Says Thank You to Formulajones For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2021, 03:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got the Innovate LM2, it works great and includes the tail pipe adapter as well. In my testing I discovered the tail pipe solution works and is comparable to a bung welded in farther forward but is really only accurate for the higher RPM test, ie: ~2000 RPM. Lower RPM's allow outside air to affect it as stated previously.

The Following User Says Thank You to torqhead For This Useful Post:
Old 05-04-2021, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqhead View Post
I got the Innovate LM2, it works great and includes the tail pipe adapter as well. In my testing I discovered the tail pipe solution works and is comparable to a bung welded in farther forward but is really only accurate for the higher RPM test, ie: ~2000 RPM. Lower RPM's allow outside air to affect it as stated previously.
Yes thank you, I left out that important detail and should have explained that more thoroughly

Old 05-07-2021, 09:40 PM
Senior Chief

Ok so since I'll be trying this on a couple nicely restored cars I'll try and rig up a spacer with a bung to go between the manifold and pipe for testing and then take it out when I'm all set up. It will be a bit of work but I'm not going to do anything permanent to them. If this won't work then I'll use the tailpipe one... Thanks guys, I really appreciate the help!

Old 05-07-2021, 10:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On the nicely restored stuff I weld the bungs on the inside of the head pipe where it can't be seen. Usually like a 2 o-clock position.

Not as easy to access to put the 02 in but it's only for tuning purposes, not like you're taking it in and out every day. It also comes in handy on a chassis dyno.