Old 06-18-2002, 10:01 PM

Just bought a 70 Bonneville, automatic from a guy who had wrecked the front end. I checked the engine casting number but i can't find the number that is on the block listed anywhere. The number is 9799068, engine code looks like W5.

Old 06-18-2002, 10:01 PM

Just bought a 70 Bonneville, automatic from a guy who had wrecked the front end. I checked the engine casting number but i can't find the number that is on the block listed anywhere. The number is 9799068, engine code looks like W5.

Old 06-19-2002, 03:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

9799068 is a 1970 4 Barrel intake manifold casting number. The block casting number is on the back side of engine, near the distibutor. At quick glance, I can see no W5 listings.

Old 06-20-2002, 01:24 PM

Thanks for the info. I found the number and it is 9799140 a 455 360 hp engine. Front end of Bonneville is trashed but with new front and right fender car is restorable with minimal effort. Not really into the big cars i have a firebird with a 455 maybe i will hold engine and trans for a GTO rolling chassis.

Old 06-20-2002, 03:21 PM
Senior Chief

#64 heads?

'06 GTO, '68 LeMans project, bikes, etc.
Old 06-20-2002, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The Bonneville engine 455/360hp, came with #15 Heads, they have press in studs. I run them on my 70 455 and they perform great.

USPS Money Orders or Wal-Mart to Wal-Mart money gram wire transfer -preferred payments.

If Payment doesn't show up in 3-4 days, I move on to the next person that wants it.

Serious Inquiries Only - Shipping Isn't Free.
Old 06-21-2002, 01:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

SWERVE, My buddy just bought a fairly straight 70 Bonneville 4 dr hardtop 455 car for the motor/ tranny. It has a "good" front end on it and would probably go a long way in fixing up yours. My buddy has pulled the engine/tranny and is going to part out rest of car. It is gold with a tan interior that is good shape (dash/ steering wheel, most upholstery, etc.)

Car is located in Princeton,WV area and you could probably get what is left of it fairly cheap. He is not much into parting out cars and selling parts, etc. so I think he would be receptive to getting rid of it all in one piece.

He has a neighbor buddy who traffics and trades in cars from all around the country. That guy comes up to the DC/Baltimore area and picks up cars from time-to-time so transporting of the Bonneville body ( or the front clip, etc) to DC
may be easy to arrange.

Old 06-24-2002, 08:41 AM

Thanks for all the info. Just bought a 79 Trans Am with bad engine. Will put engine from Bonneville in it. Will the Trans fit? Should i change the Cam in it or any other modifications you might suggest?

Old 06-24-2002, 05:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The transmission will slide right in. Check the Bonne for disc brakes. Those are quite valuable complete. Spindles calipers power booster and metering valve.

Old 06-25-2002, 06:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you use the Bonny tranny,you will have to shorten the driveshaft.
The Bonny tranny uses a long tailshaft.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 07-05-2002, 10:02 AM

I have a 68 GTO that needs an engine and trans if you are interested in selling the set or buying the GTO

Quote:
Originally posted by SWERVE:
Thanks for the info. I found the number and it is 9799140 a 455 360 hp engine. Front end of Bonneville is trashed but with new front and right fender car is restorable with minimal effort. Not really into the big cars i have a firebird with a 455 maybe i will hold engine and trans for a GTO rolling chassis.
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">

[ July 05, 2002, 10:05 AM: Message edited by: DanielC ]