Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 06-03-2018, 09:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to adam woodmancy
Default Mike Leech T-37

Not long before mike passed him and I worked out a deal and he acquired my 71 T-37 with hopes of getting his son into it to race Norwalk. Mike had found stuff to make it an H.O. Clone, it was a 350 - speed car. I had already put a 12 bolt with 3.73 gears in place of the 2.78 10 bolt.. does anyone know the whereabouts of this car? I would love to track it down. It was solid, but needed paint. Castilian bronze Ruth a tan painted top. He bought it with the rally IIs

Quarter-Max Chassis and Racing Components
Old 06-03-2018, 09:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Any help would be greatly appreciated, I would love to try to get this car back .

Old 06-03-2018, 10:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like a sweet project! Hope it surfaces, Adam! My first 71 T-37 hardtop partscar was that exact color combo except had black vinyl interior. The oddity, at least from extensive boneyarding, it was a base no AC 6cyl automatic car. Bought it for its perfect FRP (fiberglas) header panel, deck lid, doors, fenders, & trinkets. One small hole of rust at the bottom of the rh 1/4 doomed it's body to the Milwaukee sawsall That was in the hottest summer month of '86, was nowhere near as wise, was short of room, and being a 6cyl car, I couldn't envision anyone's need for it. Frustrating in hindsight, as it would have been an easy metal repair job/prime/lacquer touch up, core support swap/V8 install. By the mid '90's, was much more inclined to haul in just about any '70 or '71 233 series 2 door that was solid. On '71 233's & base 72's that were less solid, have hauled in, processed, and cut up over 3 dozen.

Old 06-03-2018, 10:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love the T-37’s. I would love to have this one back as much for the sentimentality as anything. Mike was a good friend, and he would always check on me in some rough times in my life. He always made it a point to find time to be a good friend, even when he was going through his own hard times. I have some of his old edelbrock on my 72, end when I look at them, I always smile because they keep him with me when I’m racing. If mike were still here, I probably wouldn’t think twice about that car, but it’s something we shared and had many conversations about..

Old 06-03-2018, 10:40 PM

Adam , I remember talking to Mike about the car and I think he ended up selling it at Norwalk , maybe 2015 . Maybe Brian (Badta) aka packer fan remembers .

505 CID, 3560 lbs,Tiger heads, NA.
8.99@149.8 mph, 1.29 60', stock suspension
Old 06-03-2018, 10:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by adam woodmancy View Post
I love the T-37’s. I would love to have this one back as much for the sentimentality as anything. Mike was a good friend, and he would always check on me in some rough times in my life. He always made it a point to find time to be a good friend, even when he was going through his own hard times. I have some of his old edelbrock on my 72, end when I look at them, I always smile because they keep him with me when I’m racing. If mike were still here, I probably wouldn’t think twice about that car, but it’s something we shared and had many conversations about..
Never met Mike L, realize his his passing was a great loss to the entire Pontiac hobby. Hope you find the T, it would make a great project to finish!

Old 06-03-2018, 11:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Kasparian,Sr. View Post
Adam , I remember talking to Mike about the car and I think he ended up selling it at Norwalk , maybe 2015 . Maybe Brian (Badta) aka packer fan remembers .
Mike your right... He had it at Norwalk, in fact Mike was parked next to Brian. I recall looking at the car. Mike was ready to make a deal. Forget how much but price was a good deal.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:04 PM
Suspended

I met Mike once at Uncle Tony's at a dyno session. He was a great guy, with passion and a big spirit. He also had one of the baddest NA Pontiacs on the planet. I was happy to cross paths with him in person.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Right before Mike passed he told me about a 2nd gen Firebird he picked up for his son. He was proud of him, his boy was doing better than he was before and he wanted to do a father/son project as a reward. Better grades type stuff I believe.
Such a sad deal.

Old 06-03-2018, 11:22 PM
Suspended

Right on brother. When I met Mike he was all about his family. Same deal on grades with kids and rewards. He was a great dude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
Right before Mike passed he told me about a 2nd gen Firebird he picked up for his son. He was proud of him, his boy was doing better than he was before and he wanted to do a father/son project as a reward. Better grades type stuff I believe.
Such a sad deal.

Old 06-04-2018, 01:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Quinton View Post
Right on brother. When I met Mike he was all about his family. Same deal on grades with kids and rewards. He was a great dude.
Yeah it just sucks. Died while driving his son somewhere. I hope that young man is alright. Had to be very tough on him to say the least.
Then the drunk immigrant truck driver from Canada fled back to Pakistan before he face justice. At least it was what I heard.
When John posted the thread about his friend passing it was like, no way, I just talked to him.
You can tell John loves those boys, he is there for them. One day it would be nice to head about them making passes in their dads car.

Old 06-04-2018, 05:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Hey Adam, just saw this. Mike did sell it at Norwalk 15’. I’ll ask MJ (Mike Jr.)if he remembers who it was. Unfortunately I don’t remember at the moment. I’ll think about it tho.

Brian

Boobs & bacon
Old 06-04-2018, 06:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
MJ got back to me already. He and Aaron are doing real good he told me. I said that’s great to hear! MJ is working in the construction industry framing houses. I told him builders are bad a$$. Haha. I’m a little biased. Anyway, he doesn’t remember who it was either unfortunately. He did say he will look for a bill of sale around the house. MJ will be at Norwalk this year also 😎. That’s cool!

Brian

Boobs & bacon
Old 06-04-2018, 06:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BADDTA View Post
MJ got back to me already. He and Aaron are doing real good he told me. I said that’s great to hear! MJ is working in the construction industry framing houses. I told him builders are bad a$$. Haha. I’m a little biased. Anyway, he doesn’t remember who it was either unfortunately. He did say he will look for a bill of sale around the house. MJ will be at Norwalk this year also 😎. That’s cool!

Brian
Good to they are doing good. I remember in 2016 Mike trying to stop a fuel leak on his sons Firebird at Norwalk (i think the fuel line rusted through?). We were just unloading when all the chaos started in his pit lol.

Old 06-04-2018, 07:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Good to they are doing good. I remember in 2016 Mike trying to stop a fuel leak on his sons Firebird at Norwalk (i think the fuel line rusted through?). We were just unloading when all the chaos started in his pit lol.
He did get a little grimey from the fuel and the asphalt melting together and getting all over him. Got a chuckle out of it later that night.

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 06-04-2018, 07:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
Yeah, that was all hell breaking loose! Lol Mike’ was trying to clamp the rusted fuel line shut. But that was to no avail. Once he clamped it, it started somewhere else. He told me to go get an extra fuel pump out of my trailer so he could siphon out the fuel tank of the Firebird. I said I don’t have one. He said look harder. I did find Jake’s old Holley blue pump. Mikes like” I told you so”. “Remember I changed it out with Jake last year when he was running out of fuel on the top end?” I chuckled. Mike was all pissed yet that he was bathing in gas. Finally got it pumped out into my NEW VP fuel containers. 🙄. So much for those being clean. Lol. Later when everything calmed down. Jake and I showered up for the night. We came back and Mike was going up to shower. Unfortunately for him showers were closed. He came back mad as hell. Lol. Jake and I always slept in Mikes trailer when we pitted together (he had AC). When Mike came in to sleep I said “ well don’t you smell nice princess”. Mike said “phuck you!” Then proceeded to laugh his a$$ off. Great memories in the pits with him and his boys for those few years for sure. I miss the big guy a lot!

Brian

Boobs & bacon
Old 06-04-2018, 07:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As I recall Brian, that was also the same year I took a little tumble off a golf cart in the wee hours of the morning and you guys got a kick of it back in Ricks pit when I meandered over there bleeding from both elbows and knees. Good entertainment value lol

63 Lemans Race Car- 8.81 @ 151, 5.60 @ 123(SOLD)

67 Bonneville ragtop

74 Firebird - 455, e heads, TK0600 in process
Old 06-05-2018, 08:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That was funny chit! You must have hit your head too. I think that was 15’ when you came over to Ricks pit. Good times.

Brian

Boobs & bacon