THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Does Anyone Else Collect Vintage Chainsaws???

Fellas -

I got into collecting vintage saws a few years ago when I was stationed in Italy. I was working on one of my plastic Poulans when I realized that it wasn't much of a saw. I went looking for a professional saw and ended up with an 038 Magnum Stihl. And I realized that folks actually COLLECT and RESTORE vintage saws! And I went from 2 saws to 100+ saws in less than a year.

I was buying saws mostly online in Germany and Sweden, and ended up with some great contacts in the community. Also ended up finding several "Holy Grail" saws, including Jonsereds XA and Comet diesels (actually hot bulb engines), Solo Twins (twin cylinder), and lots of vintage Stihls.

Here's the back wall of the garage - all vintage Jonsereds. Going to sell all of these and keep about 20 Stihl's.

Here's one of my favorite saws -- the Jonsereds XF -- these are 110cc saws built from 60-69 - gorgeous lines on these guys. I have about 10 of these.

Here's a few of my bigger saws that I pulled out back in Italy for an impromptu photo - includes Stihl 066, 075, Contra S, 084, Dolmar 166, Solo Twin, and Stihl 070. All except for the 066 are 100 cc and over.

It's been a great hobby, but now that I'm back in the states, I'm selling most of my collection to fund my car addiction.

Anyway, just curious to hear if we have any other members who have or collect vintage saws. Also, if anyone has a vintage saw gathering dust in the garage/barn, feel free to message me if you want to know what it's worth.

Scott

Old 11-25-2018, 12:48 PM

I am looking for a Stihl MS 440 magnum with a bad engine.
I had a tree barber chair and it took out the handle and plastics when I let go of it and bailed.
Saw is brand new I just need a donor for parts.

Old 11-25-2018, 02:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat Roper View Post
I am looking for a Stihl MS 440 magnum with a bad engine.
I had a tree barber chair and it took out the handle and plastics when I let go of it and bailed.
Saw is brand new I just need a donor for parts.
Can't help you there, but you may want to post on Aboristsite.com and opeforum.com in the chainsaw classifieds.

Good luck,

Scott

Old 11-25-2018, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a blue Super XL12 Homlite with a 20" bar. Not sure what year it is.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbygto65 View Post
I have a blue Super XL12 Homlite with a 20" bar. Not sure what year it is.
Love the old Homey's! I only have a few of these. Iconic saws.

Old 11-25-2018, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought it at a garage sale about 35 years ago for $5. Took it home and cleaned the exhaust ports and it's been running great ever since. Other than a new bar and chain.

Old 11-25-2018, 04:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbygto65 View Post
I bought it at a garage sale about 35 years ago for $5. Took it home and cleaned the exhaust ports and it's been running great ever since. Other than a new bar and chain.
Yeah, those are great saws. Lots of parts still out there, too.

Old 11-25-2018, 05:10 PM

I almost forgot I had it...until I saw this post.

16" Homelite EZ I purchased new, I think late 1960s? Dragged it around over three states. Finally stopped running and I broke the pull rope messing with it. Been setting on a shelf in the shop for 25+ years ever since.

I cut a lot of firewood with it back in the day.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Homelite EZ Chainsaw.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	498648   Click image for larger version

Name:	Homelite EZ Chainsaw (2).jpg
Views:	118
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	498649  

70 GTO HT, Original Owner, Atoll Blue, #s Match, 400, 4-Speed, A/C, Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
70 GTO HT, Burgundy, Not #s Match, 455, 4-Speed, Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
70 GTO Convertible, Granada Gold, #s Match, 400, 3-Speed MT, Floor Shift, Hot Rod Power Tour Long Hauler
Old 11-25-2018, 06:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've got a Poulan a friend gave me years ago. It's a cream color, he thought it was from the late 60's.

Old 11-25-2018, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a big McCulloch chainsaw that sounds like a full boogie motocross bike. About 20 years old I think.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 11-25-2018, 10:22 PM

I have this chain saw from 1941. It’s canadian, made in Vancouver and used to make the Canadian rail system.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	D3DF6D4D-E0E1-4594-9E69-2005813E945F.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	60.0 KB
ID:	498679   Click image for larger version

Name:	FAD9CFA4-AEF9-457A-B54E-DDC885FD2054.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	498680   Click image for larger version

Name:	248128C3-BA62-4C06-88E6-946ECA9617D5.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	498681  

2013 Shelby GT500
Old 11-25-2018, 10:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty77SE View Post
I have this chain saw from 1941. It’s canadian, made in Vancouver and used to make the Canadian rail system.
Oh, man... that is funky.
Never seen anything like it.

Old 11-25-2018, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got a 6' 2-man cross-cut that Dad bought at an auction about 1955. Took it home and taught me to use it. Does that count?

Jon.

"The most expensive carburetor is the wrong one given to you by your neighbor".

If you truly believe that "one size fits all" try walking a mile in your spouse's shoes!

Owner of The Carburetor Shop, LLC (of Missouri).

Current caretaker of the remains of Stromberg Caburetor, and custodian of the existing Carter and Kingston carburetor drawings.
Old 11-25-2018, 11:13 PM

Welcome back to the states Scott !
I've an old Jonsered ..think it's a model 30 ? Its tiny ..no anti vibe. Dad bought it new in 73. Also have a Jonsered 630 Super about 20+ years old that runs great. It's the same as a Husqvarna 61. Have 3 mid 80's Poulan S25. They were good trim saws for climbing in the early 80's but starting falling apart after a year. No anti vibe. Also have a collection of old draw saws and misery whips.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70oldgoat View Post
I almost forgot I had it...until I saw this post.

16" Homelite EZ I purchased new, I think late 1960s? Dragged it around over three states. Finally stopped running and I broke the pull rope messing with it. Been setting on a shelf in the shop for 25+ years ever since.

I cut a lot of firewood with it back in the day.
Nice old Homey! I bet it wouldn't take much to get it going again - carb kit, spark plug, new fuel lines, new pull rope, and let 'er rip!

Old 11-25-2018, 11:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
I've got a Poulan a friend gave me years ago. It's a cream color, he thought it was from the late 60's.
Post up a pic if you can. Some of the older Poulans are pretty cool looking.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That's a pretty cool saw! I don't have anything nearly that old. Is it electric?
Hydraulic? Pneumatic?

Old 11-25-2018, 11:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by carbking View Post
I've got a 6' 2-man cross-cut that Dad bought at an auction about 1955. Took it home and taught me to use it. Does that count?

Jon.
I'd love to have one of those to hang on the wall.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
That is a fascinating looking saw! I have never seen anything like it. Would love to see some more detailed pics of the powerhead with the covers removed. Very compact. All the old saws are really cool to work with. My first real job was as a small engine mechanic. I kind of specialized in the 2-cycle stuff because everyone else hated working on them. I still have some very old 2-cycle LawnBoys. My vintage saws were stolen and now I have a newer Stihl. It's a really nice saw but much like the cars, the old stuff is much cooler and satisfying to use.

Old 11-25-2018, 11:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Eiseman View Post
Welcome back to the states Scott !
I've an old Jonsered ..think it's a model 30 ? Its tiny ..no anti vibe. Dad bought it new in 73. Also have a Jonsered 630 Super about 20+ years old that runs great. It's the same as a Husqvarna 61. Have 3 mid 80's Poulan S25. They were good trim saws for climbing in the early 80's but starting falling apart after a year. No anti vibe. Also have a collection of old draw saws and misery whips.
Never heard of a 30, but that doesn't mean they didn't make one. Do you have pics?

I've heard good things about the later Jonsereds like the 630 but don't have any of those in my collection.