Old 10-19-2021, 02:39 AM

Default 77-79 W72 Straight Shaker drain Hose replacement

I'm trying to find an original Shaker drain hose for my 78 W72, but haven't had much luck. So I am trying to find an exact replacement. While the molded drain hose for the 403's is re-popped, no one seems to have the straight hose. What makes it more complicated than going down to the local hardware store is that the hose has a crosshatched ribbed pattern to it.
I've got a low mile 79 TA with an original shaker drain hose that has this cross-hatch ribbing to it and over the past 20 years, when I have come across known original hoses, they have the same ribbed pattern to it. In John Witzke's W72 article you can see the same pattern in the hose as well under the red shaker, so I am certain that the ribbing is correct. I am assuming that GM used some sort of generic heater hose at the time. Does anyone know of any hose that has this same pattern to it? Also does anyone know the correct ID of the drain hose? When I measured the hose on my 79 (end of the hose not on the nipple) it seems like it is 15/32 (slightly smaller than 1/2 in but slightly bigger than 7/16.) but that seems like an odd size to me and was wondering if the rubber shrunk a little over the past 40+ years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Shaker drain.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	575525  

Old 10-19-2021, 07:13 AM
Suspended

Yes, the part number equates to the roll of hose. I dug the info up previously from the parts manual for hose.

Old 10-19-2021, 09:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Swap meets. There always a shaker or two there.

Old 10-19-2021, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Look at some 1/2" fuel line at your local auto parts store

Clay

Old 10-19-2021, 01:31 PM

They also repro it, with the correct bends. It's supposed to terminate right over a groove in the power steering gearbox plastic cover.

Firebird Central has it. Mine was missing and I replaced it recently.

Old 10-20-2021, 12:42 AM
Suspended

That's for the 403 TA, which has to clear the different accessories and cruise control unit.

1/2" I.D. x 20.5" long from GM #6107 stock hose from Standard Parts manual.

Old 10-25-2021, 10:07 PM

Aus78Formula - Thanks for the info!!!!! (And yes the molded hose is only for the 403)

Burd -You know I would see these all the time when I didn't need them. Went to 4 swap meets this year couldn't find a single one.

Quick-Silver - Yeah LPS has 1/" heater hose in stock, but it is smooth. Found some 1/2 in on e-Bay with the cord in it but the pattern was different. I know this is picky, but I am trying to do this car as accurate as possible. 90% of the people at a show wouldn't know the difference, but unfortunately I would. So until the car is finished I'm going to keep looking for either an original hose or the correct braid pattern.

Old 10-26-2021, 12:16 AM
Suspended

All good. We haven't had swap meets down here in 15 years, not like the old days anyway. They were killed off by Public Liability insurance and Ebay. It was harder to sell or make connections to those chasing the parts back then so it tended to collect. But now they are easy to find, except they want them cheap. The guys here scoff at the cost to ship something from overseas, if they can't find it here, yet forget that you paid that and the cost of the actual part so they could complain about paying a fraction of it and still have it immediately.

Old 10-26-2021, 09:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If your serious I can call around by me, someone should have one.
Finding the clamp and the nipple also, you might have to buy a whole shaker.

Just Say No To 8” Flakes

F ire B irds

🇮🇱
Old 10-26-2021, 09:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shift'n Gears View Post

Quick-Silver -
Found some 1/2 in on e-Bay with the cord in it but the pattern was different. I know this is picky, but I am trying to do this car as accurate as possible. 90% of the people at a show wouldn't know the difference, but unfortunately I would. So until the car is finished I'm going to keep looking for either an original hose or the correct braid pattern.
Being universal hose, the look probably changed while these cars were being built. Different suppliers, different plants, different batches, etc..

Internet pics of Dayco 1/2" looks closer than Gates 1/2". BUT, I wouln't expect internet 'stock photos' to look the same as what you get when ordered.

Have you got local parts stores where you can get some 'eyes on'?

Pic of the Dayco 93036

Clay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dayco half inch Fuel Hose.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	576141  

Old 10-26-2021, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus78Formula View Post
That's for the 403 TA, which has to clear the different accessories and cruise control unit.

1/2" I.D. x 20.5" long from GM #6107 stock hose from Standard Parts manual.
... oh.

Well, it fits fine for my T/A 6.6 Heck, how it happens to terminate right over a groove in the plastic cover on the steering gear box, it almost looks like it was meant to be there. So I'm satisfied lol