Old 09-15-2021, 08:02 PM

Default seats are back from the upholstery shop

As the first bit of substantial progress on my 63 Bonne Safari in a while, I thought I would share a pic of my newly reupholstered seats!
I am pleased and left the rear seat with them when I picked up the front buckets.
It has been difficult to find folks who will even take on these jobs in my area.
James Q
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	new seats.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	573115  

1963 Bonneville Safari - Nocturne Blue, 4-speed
Old 09-15-2021, 10:00 PM
Senior Chief

Looks good! I'll be reupholstering my front buckets for my '64 GP as soon as I receive the new seat upholstery covers. I've been waiting for 13 months now and I'm supposed to receive them by the end of the year.

Old 09-16-2021, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks great!!!

AZ64GP SMS auto interiors?? I placed my order March 2020, still waiting. Need door panels too, but I don’t think I want to loan these guys any more money.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

1962 Catalina convertible, Starlight black w maroon interior & white top.
Old 09-16-2021, 02:26 PM

Send a message via Yahoo to 421mike
Default Interior

Got my complete interior from SMS, beautiful stuff. However you haven't waited long enough yet. it took two years to get the door panels, really nice though.

Old 09-16-2021, 06:52 PM

I have door panels ordered from SMS, as they are the only source I know of. They were ordered nine months ago and "scheduled" to deliver this month, but I am not expecting them. I emailed them to see if they were on schedule to ship and got a reply that the shop would give me an update.....crickets in the three weeks since.

I am glad I found the shop that sewed the seats. They are doing both buckets and the rear seat AND recovering my wagon cargo area hard parts in the matching vinyl for just a little bit more than SMS wanted for the seat upholstery alone!

This is one of the advantages of not having any embossed items in my upholstery pattern.

James Q

Old 09-16-2021, 06:55 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot View Post
Looks great!!!

AZ64GP SMS auto interiors?? I placed my order March 2020, still waiting. Need door panels too, but I don’t think I want to loan these guys any more money.
No, I ordered my seat cover upholstery from another restoration parts vendor. I can’t remember who makes the seat covers but I ordered my front and rear seats in June of 2020. I received my rear seat cover upholstery in May of this year. I have been told my front seat cover upholstery is due to ship 12/29/21. Ugh.

I have heard that SMS makes great stuff but you wait for it. All the delays due to the pandemic have made it even worse.

Old 09-16-2021, 11:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I could never give sms another dime I’d take another route. Wonder if anybody else would have the stuff for 1962 tri tone red.

I know you gotta wait but when I ordered they said 4 months. These things weren’t cheap and you gotta pay all up front.

1968 GTO 4-spd convertible, console, factory gauges, hidden headlights, 3.90:1 posi, AM/FM radio.

Old 09-17-2021, 12:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you are just looking for material, you might try Original Auto Interiors...located in Michigan.

Old 09-17-2021, 09:42 PM

I took the SMS swatches to the upholstery shop and they had no issue getting the appropriate material through their regular suppliers. They used my old seat as a pattern and sewed up what you see in the picture.
James Q

Old 09-18-2021, 02:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That sounds like the ticket. I live in small town eastern Oregon so it’ll be a miracle if our one upholstery guy can do something like that. I have the swatches Sms sent me still.

SMS I believe stands for “Send My Stuff”.

Old 09-18-2021, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by webfoot View Post
That sounds like the ticket. I live in small town eastern Oregon so it’ll be a miracle if our one upholstery guy can do something like that. I have the swatches Sms sent me still.

SMS I believe stands for “Send My Stuff”.
I feel your pain, I live in rural south Mississippi. The trim shop that's doing my work is 1 1/2 hrs away.....

James Q