Old 09-27-2021, 02:04 PM
Senior Chief

Default Worn Limited Slip?

I have the original limited slip in my '66 that I think may be worn out. When I have the the rear off the ground and trans in neutral, both wheels spin the same direction, but it takes minimal effort to spin the wheel.

Started noticing lack of dual black marks when getting on it hard.

Any other tests?

If it needs replacing , is the Eaton clutch type Posi unit the only available for the 8.2 rear? Any other recommendations?

Old 09-27-2021, 03:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I recommend contacting Monzaz here on this site if you can let the car sit a few weeks. He rebuilds the stock GM cone style posi units. I had him do 2 for me, the turn around time was pretty quick and he charges less than a new Auburn or Eaton unit. Both of mine work very well.

Old 09-27-2021, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

x's 2 he did one for me and i beat on it after with no issues.

Old 09-27-2021, 07:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Cone types will Always have more traction on one side vs the other. More surface area on the bigger end of the cone makes this so.

Old 09-28-2021, 11:20 AM
Senior Chief

Thanks for the reply's, I spoke with Jim yesterday, will be sending my unit to him.

Old 09-28-2021, 05:04 PM
Suspended

Its a good time to put new, fully adjustable, rear control arms in.

I have the Spohn, Del Sphere, rear arms with the heavy duty adjuster sleeves. I used two stock rubber bushings at the rear end upper.. Make sure you don't tighten them whole the car is up in the air..

Its amazing what a true four wheel alignment does for one of these cars. They really do handle and ride nicely.. Really give it some thought. I see people at car cruises that put thousands into the engine and paint job but the front upper and lower control arms have have bent nails holding them together.

Last edited by 389; 09-28-2021 at 05:11 PM.