Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 08-16-2021, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I can answer for Eric. Wet sump. Melling M54F pump. Canton steel road race pan, oil cooler and accumulator. That's it. Nothing exotic. This is a have some fun on the weekend deal. Nothing like the last two projects. Still plan to have some fun supporting the effort a little.
And most likely going to tap the heads for 4-corner drainbacks. It will be critical to keep as much oil in the pan as possible during all the maneuvers. We looked at a few examples while in the pits at Norwalk.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 08-16-2021, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip Fix View Post
Cool! As heavy as the High Ports are vs an Edelbrock head ( I have a set I know) and it's shorter valve I almost wonder if some max Eddy heads would work better-tossed on top of an aluminum block!.
I agree, they would also offer a bit more torque out of the corner if set up properly and a lower center of gravity.

Old 08-16-2021, 09:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are you using Crower solid flat tappet lifters with the “CoolFace” lifter option that features a small diameter oil metering port (.024") that is precision machined in the face of the lifter ?
Crower claims no significant oil pressure loss, but significantly improved cam and lifter longevity.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 08-16-2021, 11:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm going to use whatever lifter Tim Goolsby (from Bullet) sends me. He's never steered us wrong.

Eric

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 08-17-2021, 09:33 AM

Is the Beehive spring out of the question on this build? That is what I use on my High Port solid flat tappet setup using Pac 1220x springs. The 1219s may be more what your looking for. Dual spring does have a safety margin.

Old 08-17-2021, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

In a second gen the Canton pan is about 1" above the center crossmember. I modified one an 1" deeper, and another one I used their GTO can and just made the sump longer forward like the F body. Much better baffling than the other road race pan I have.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 08-17-2021, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Thanks for the input so far. This customer build is a a little more mild. Solid flat tappet cam. So I need to get the installed height way down to around 1.800-1.850 with the deep 85CC chambers. Spring choices are a bit tricky getting something soft enough on the seat yet about .060 from coil bind at full open lift. Going to be run at sustained high RPM's for 1/2 hour at a time. 6500-7000 RPM.
I would check to see if Manley can make a custom set of 5/16” S.S valves ( I know they can with TI), I know they can to 5.600 with S.S. This can shorten up installed height and reduce valve weight with your cam and lifter choice. Maybe talk to Jeff Kauffman about how deep you can cut the spring pads since the heads will not be ported if you need more room with the shorter valves.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 08-17-2021, 10:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elarson View Post
The hi-ports have the advantage of flowing well in as-cast condition so there will be no thin walls from a max effort porting job. Aluminum IA2 block is part of the approach. Rugged simplicity (with major weight savings over an all-iron engine) is the plan.

Eric
The extra 50+CFM and chamber options give you a huge advantage over the E-head even with the extra weight.

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 08-17-2021, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks like about a 6.0" valve with Lunati 73124 springs gives the right seat and open pressures; along with the right clearance-to-coil-bind to control harmonics.

Eric

Old 09-30-2021, 11:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve C. View Post
Are you using Crower solid flat tappet lifters with the “CoolFace” lifter option that features a small diameter oil metering port (.024") that is precision machined in the face of the lifter ?
Crower claims no significant oil pressure loss, but significantly improved cam and lifter longevity.

Update....yes, it's going to be the Crower Coolface lifters.

Eric