Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 10-05-2021, 09:31 AM
Senior Chief

Default So Many Scammers Out There...!

It's been about 12 years since my last Pontiac build project, and boy have times changed.

I've posted on this forum and in a few Facebook groups in search of some rare parts. I know they're rare and so do most of you who read these forums. So it's almost laughable at the laziness of some of these scam responses.

Last one I got was through a PM here. "Contact so-and-so at (a gmail address) - he has what you need." Sound familiar to anyone? OK so I sent an email, and got an immediate reply with a canned response (verbatim): "Yes, I have the 1967 2+2 fenders in a perfect condition. Let me know your offer and your location so I can figure out what will be the total cost including shipping price. Your offer will be my price if it's reasonable enough. And text me your complete shipping address."

So even overlooking the bad grammar, this person wants nothing but information from me. I replied with a request for pictures and said I would prefer to pick them up in person. Asked for his location and how he acquired these fenders. Wait for it.... dead silence. Man I'm shocked!

Another scam sequence was via FB. Guy messaged me in response to my post looking for a full-size 4spd console. Sends a bunch of A body auto console pictures. I tell him again I want a full size car console. He says wait a minute.... then sends a picture of another auto console, but hey at least it's from a full size Pontiac. I say again, closer but I need a 4spd console. Several minutes go by, then he sends a group of pictures of a nice looking 4spd console - exactly what I'm looking for. BUT...

Each of the pictures has a different background / setting so I doubt if these are his. All taken in a different shop / garage, etc. Most concerning is that if this guy is remotely familiar with Pontiacs - like his FB group membership would imply - he would not have wasted my time while looking for the right pictures to send.

And finally I say yes that's what I'm looking for. How much? Price is ridiculously low. Asks for payment via Zelle. So I ask him for a picture of him with the console. Wanna guess how this goes? Starts a rant about how he's an honest businessman and doesn't try to take people's hard earned money... blah blah. I tell him a picture should not be a big deal, then all of a sudden he's not at the shop anymore and I can send payment to his wife's Zelle account because his has "issues."

When I'm not pissed about these scammers being EVERYWHERE now, I have to laugh at how lazy / stupid they can be trying to pull this crap off....

Here's hoping you & I don't fall victim to one who's not so lazy in the future..

Current Project:
'67 Catalina Convertible
400 4-spd
The Following User Says Thank You to markpj23 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-05-2021, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by markpj23 View Post
Last one I got was through a PM here. "Contact so-and-so at (a gmail address) - he has what you need."
When you get these PM's, please let the moderators (me or B-man) know about it so we can ban them from the site.