Old 09-29-2021, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho60 View Post
Anyone have an approximate idea of how much fluid the front coupling holds? I sucked out 3 qts and my dipstick still shows the trans is overfilled.
Just keep sucking out the fluid until it's at the proper level. This is a prime example why I don't like others touching my vehicles. These cars are just too old and unique for most mechanics that are not well into retirement age. BTW, replacing the o-ring for the filter pickup tube is highly recommended when the pan is off.

Old 10-09-2021, 07:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So have removed a little over 5 qts via the dipstick tube (2 sessions). The suction tube is the same length as the dipstick and marked to insert it to same position as the end of the dipstick. At this point the dipstick is still indicating significantly over the full hot mark. At trial 2, after pumping out about 2 qts it started sucking air so I figured the level would be down at the end of dipstick position. I guess I will have to start over with new filter and fluid. I'm not sure what the heck the shop actually did, if anything. Not sure why I'm still getting an over full indication after removing this much fluid tho.

Old 10-10-2021, 05:57 AM

Be sure to check with the engine at normal temp idling in Park on a level ground. With the engine off, your level is going to naturally be higher.

Old 10-15-2021, 07:04 PM
Suspended

Pull the dip stick and fill the transmission until it comes to the top of the dip stick hole..

Use old trans fluid, the modern synthetic will cause it to shift hard.

By the way, I've had about 7 cars with the Super Hydro 315. That transmission is the smoothest shifting transmission I ever had. It also is the most economical. In 3 and 4 the coupling lock together much like a stick and you get excellent mileage. The first gear is 3.97 to 1 and can make a 2.56 rear end smoke the tires and come out of the hole like gangbusters.. I had one rebuilt by a local here who use to build his own version of the Hydro stick. I got him to do mine. The hydro stick was on a different hydro. In L range, he got my hydro shifting right at 5500 rpm from first to second and second to third.. It really was a nice box. I had a very healthy 462 in front of it and it had no issue with the extra torque. The turbo 400 that replaced it, broke the case after 1000 miles, then it blue some kind of clutch.. I had it rebuilt for the third time and sold the car..
I replaced the 389 and the hydro with a 462 th-400.. After it was all said and done I should of put the 670 heads on the 389 along with the solid lifter cam with a P-22 dual quad AFB manifold..

The Following User Says Thank You to 389 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2021, 08:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 389 View Post
Pull the dip stick and fill the transmission until it comes to the top of the dip stick hole..

Use old trans fluid, the modern synthetic will cause it to shift hard.

By the way, I've had about 7 cars with the Super Hydro 315. That transmission is the smoothest shifting transmission I ever had. It also is the most economical. In 3 and 4 the coupling lock together much like a stick and you get excellent mileage. The first gear is 3.97 to 1 and can make a 2.56 rear end smoke the tires and come out of the hole like gangbusters.. I had one rebuilt by a local here who use to build his own version of the Hydro stick. I got him to do mine. The hydro stick was on a different hydro. In L range, he got my hydro shifting right at 5500 rpm from first to second and second to third.. It really was a nice box. I had a very healthy 462 in front of it and it had no issue with the extra torque. The turbo 400 that replaced it, broke the case after 1000 miles, then it blue some kind of clutch.. I had it rebuilt for the third time and sold the car..
I replaced the 389 and the hydro with a 462 th-400.. After it was all said and done I should of put the 670 heads on the 389 along with the solid lifter cam with a P-22 dual quad AFB manifold..
I had one of those in my long gone 1960. Wish I could replace the dying TH400 behind my '67 428 with one of those again (and find someone who could do a rebuild like your's did for you.) They were heavy trannys but I drove mine daily and every weeekend when there was no rain I raced it at the local track; never failed me. But not willing to find an old 389 that would bolt up to it as I love my 428 in my '68 GTO.
(Your's sounded like a really great ride!

"No replacement for displacement!"

GTOAA--https://www.gtoaa.org/

Last edited by 1968GTO421; 10-15-2021 at 08:05 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-15-2021, 09:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The 60 hydro service manual has a figure that shows the the cold fluid level to be basically the same as the 1 pint low mark on the dipstick. So unless the manual is wrong, the level cold is not higher than the hot level!

Old 10-20-2021, 02:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1968GTO421 View Post
They were heavy trannys but I drove mine daily and every weekend when there was no rain I raced it at the local track; never failed me
Those dual couplings will get up and go when called upon, even in a gigantic heavy yacht.

https://youtu.be/vaEvfBxyk_4?t=15

Old 10-21-2021, 06:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Update. I sucked another quart out via the dipstick tube, for a total of 6 quarts. The level on the dipstick is now still above the full hot mark and about 3/4 inch above the add (or cold) level mark. So I have a couple questions for anyone knowledgeable about these dual coupling trannys.

1...how is it physically possible to over fill the trans by 6 or 7 qts? I wouldn't think there would be room for all that fluid.

2...more importantly, what damage might I have caused driving the car home approx 20 miles in this condition?

Thx in advance for any inputs.

RA

Old 10-21-2021, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You will not do any damage by overfilling. It will just blow the excess out of the vent.

Old 10-23-2021, 04:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

SteveP....not sure I'm following your post. The tranny service manual has a caution about overfilling causing foaming. With an overfill of what now looks like 7 qts, I cant imagine that was good considering my 20 mile drive home in that condition.

Old 10-24-2021, 01:26 PM

Little, if any damage probably occurred to the transmission. Overfilling causes foaming and the pump cannot pump foam. If foaming was bad enough, the transmission would have lost pressure and you'd feel it slip and grab...or wouldn't have made it home at all.

I still recommend sucking more fluid until it's at the correct mark for long-term use.

Did they state what fluid they put in? Hopefully not synthetic.

Old 10-24-2021, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poncho60 View Post

Did they state what fluid they put in? Hopefully not synthetic.
I expect they put in eleven of the twelve quarts that he supplied.

Without ever draining the fluid coupling; 'cause no one there has any experience with a coupling/torque converter having a drain plug.

Perhaps without ever draining the pan. I guess he'll have to work the math in regards to fluid he's since drained-out, vs. trans capacity vs. eleven quarts they put in.

What I want to know, is did they refund all the money for the screwed-up "service" they provided?

Old 10-24-2021, 02:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I removed approx 6-1/2 qts to get the level down to the point shown in the service manual (cold fluid level). I supplied everything needed for the filter and fluid change (12 qts of non-synthetic Dexron III/ Mercon. I got 1 qt of fluid back, so 11 qts went somewhere. Doesn't seem like they could have put in 11 qts if they didn't drain the pan or coupling (or both). I haven't "visited" them yet. There's other issues to "discuss" besides this.

Old 10-24-2021, 08:29 PM

Well, it sounds like they drained the pan and not the torus. I can't understand why they overfilled the hell out of the trans unless they discovered it was overfilled after adding 11 quarts without checking the level.

Old 10-24-2021, 09:31 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I told the owner when I dropped the car off that the front coupling needed to be drained along w the pan. They were supposed to service the trans and repace my timing chain and gears. I supplied all the parts for both jobs along w the Chassis Shop Manual & the Transmission Service Manual. Both jobs are screwed up. They obviously never consulted either manual!

Old 10-24-2021, 09:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep. That's what Small Claims Court is for--assuming they won't willingly do the right thing.

The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post: