Old 10-05-2021, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't buy the heat shield thing, but then again i don't have any other idea except I remember seeing it as a rock shield, I think in the Ames catalog. Even then, I don't think it's necessary.

George

Old 10-05-2021, 05:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In the catalog it's referred to as "armor".

George

Old 10-05-2021, 05:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by george kujanski View Post
In the catalog it's referred to as "armor".

George
That's more in line with my perception of how a spiral metal sleeve would function the best. To me, it seems the revised brake line routing on the H.O. cars was to protect them from heat, and the revised location of the brake lines then necessitated the addition of spiral shielding to protect them from physical damage from rocks & other debris. So it's less about heat protection, and more about line damage.

The brake lines aren't going to get hot on the underside of the front crossmember next to the upper spring pocket as found on H.O. cars, so if heat protection was the intended function of the spiral shielding, I don't know why they'd have used it in that location. Seems like you'd want it on the top and rear side of the crossmember instead if protection from heat was the goal.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 10-05-2021, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think those brake lines caused a problem for a friend on mine when he restored his original owner '67 HO car:
Quote:
So - after all these years Denny decided to restore the car. He is super meticulous, as you can tell from the end result. He's also normally pretty soft spoken and reserved.

A couple years ago I was at a show and the Kryta brothers were there with their Inline Tube display. As I walked by John hollered out "hey - Keith - I met someone that says he knew your Dad".

I asked who that might be.

"Some guy, has a 67 GTO, twisted the driveshaft and now he's redoing it" John answered.

"Denny Kloha!" I said confidently.

John then starts telling me about how Denny had called and said Inline Tube gave him a wrong part. The front brake line they sent didn't match the one Denny pulled off the car.

John told Denny that they had used an original owner unrestored car to make the line from and that he was sure it was right. Denny wasn't convinced.

The argument escalated to the point where if they could punch each other out over the phone they would have. They must have agreed to disagree and left it at that.

============

A couple months later I was at the races with my friend Gary Beemer, who is also friends with Denny and his wife Pat.

Over supper that night we were sitting around telling stories, as is our custom, and Gary starts to tell me this same story.

He said he (Gary) and his wife were out to dinner with Denny and his wife when Denny started telling Gary and Carla about this phone call. Denny started getting more and more agitated, and more and more animated, to the point that Gary said other patrons were starting to look over to see what was going on. Gary finally had to get Denny settled down before he had a stroke or heart attack or something.

I thought, at the time, it was pretty funny to hear the same story from two different sources.

===================

A couple months after that I was at the Sloan Summer Fair in Flint, and Denny was there with his GTO. It was probably the first time I had seen him since I was a child and certainly the first time I had seen the car since it was restored.

We had a nice visit, updating each other on how our families were doing when (as you might guess) he started to tell me this same story about his phone conversation with Inline Tube. I couldn't believe it! I let him roll a bit and then finally shared that I had heard it a couple times before.

The only thing I can figure is that maybe Denny's car, built in Pontiac, was misbuilt. It sounds like his front brake line was too long; perhaps the assembler grabbed the wrong line and rather than going back for a different one he simply made it work. I gotta go with Inline Tube on this one.

At any rate, I still think it is hilarious to have heard this same story from three different perspectives.

And Denny now has a perfectly restored '67 Ram Air car with about 10,000 original miles on it.

K

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926

Last edited by Keith Seymore; 10-05-2021 at 08:04 PM.
Old 10-05-2021, 08:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Denny Kloha is a family friend from way back. That red '67 made quite an impression on me as a young man, complete with it's shiney chrome Crager wheels:

Denny is the guy that broke the driveshaft racing; the flailing shaft came right up in the car and beat the carpet to smithereens, filling the interior with red fuzz. He said he looked back as he was trying to get the car stopped and could see the carpet disappearing in a zig-zag fashion as it wound itself around the remnant of the shaft - LOL!

'74 Chevelle - original owner, 9.85 @ 136 mph besthttp://www.superchevy.com/features/s...hevy-chevelle/
My Pontiac Story: http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...d.php?t=560524
"Intro from an old Assembly Plant Guy":http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=342926
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Keith Seymore For This Useful Post:
Old 10-08-2021, 02:52 PM
Senior Chief

Sold for $25750

Old 10-08-2021, 08:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's tall stack of money for an unrestored GTO, and given how tall of a stack it is, I'm sure the car went to someone who's going to restore it to original condition. Should be cool, although I don't really consider smog pumps a desirable attribute.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 10-09-2021, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
That's tall stack of money for an unrestored GTO, and given how tall of a stack it is, I'm sure the car went to someone who's going to restore it to original condition. Should be cool, although I don't really consider smog pumps a desirable attribute.
Being a CA guy, to me that looks like a solid CA car with little to no real rust, in a desirable color combo (with headrests, yet!) with good body lines that hasn't been torn apart and messed up. I think the 27.5k was right on the money and the new owner scored. If it were a base automatic car in this shape it would have brought what....10-12k less? Not even a thought, with a 4 speed HO car.

Old 10-10-2021, 02:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All destination/shipping charges all across the country were based on as if the car were shipped from Pontiac Michigan - no matter which plant built the car.
Fremont cars shipped within California always seemed like a shameful terrible rip off of the consumer to me, on the destination charge.

But here is one that actually was sent to California from Michigan.
Have never seen this instance before on a GTO, and it blows my mind even more with it being a smog-year car.
Very Wild , and i'm glad some of you brought that to attention .

It must have had to wait a while for a train (or trains) to get it to Cali .
5 or 6 weeks between body build 02C to invoice date 03/29

27.5k was more like a Black-on-Black HO 4spd price. imo
But if Dk.Blue/Blue was the apple in their eye - they will be just as happy.

Will be a really great looking car with R1's or R2's on it.
Congrats to the new owner !

Old 10-10-2021, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Always wondered why the shipping costs were so high on my Fremont car. 350 miles to selling dealer.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3EC46A15-E8D5-4701-8CF8-FA36E466C775_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	574804  

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Old 10-15-2021, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smart purchase on one of 914 built.

This ‘67 WV HO ain’t a “run of the mill” GTO.
It has desirable pedigree in the muscle car world especially with the A.I.R.

The ‘67 GTO grill emblem is a one year design that interlocks with the wire mesh grills.

This HO car needs one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	4D8AD585-F6DA-493A-9656-D8651E18C448.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	87.0 KB
ID:	575303   Click image for larger version

Name:	22F9A495-8E61-4776-99A6-5FB1D8943711.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	58.4 KB
ID:	575304   Click image for larger version

Name:	8819DC02-39DA-4679-BBDF-E40A20AA8BEA.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	575305   Click image for larger version

Name:	1293D324-A66D-40D0-9143-05D39A405461.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	575306   Click image for larger version

Name:	86A367DA-5C8C-445A-91F6-F7101E8A2B5C.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	575307  

1) 65 GTO Survivor. 43,440 Original Miles. “Factory” Mayfair Maize Paint with Black Pinstripe, Black Cordova Top, Black Interior, OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Purchased from the Lady that bought it new. Baltimore Built (11A).
2) 66 GTO Survivor. “Factory” Cameo Ivory Paint with Red Pinstripe, Red Interior. OEM Numbers Matching Powertrain. Tri-Power (OEM Vacuum Linkage), Automatic "YR" code (1759 Produced). Fremont Built (01B), with the Rare 614 Option.
Old 10-16-2021, 12:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My son and I had a strong interest in this car. We bid when it was at about 20K, were prepared to go maybe 21K. When it started to go way over that, we were out. The conversion, shipping, and taxes would have worked out to about 35K for me. Just another one that got away.

Old 10-17-2021, 06:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
My son and I had a strong interest in this car. We bid when it was at about 20K, were prepared to go maybe 21K. When it started to go way over that, we were out. The conversion, shipping, and taxes would have worked out to about 35K for me. Just another one that got away.
eh, your current car is going to be awesome, some day soon!!!

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 10-17-2021, 07:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is one I've been waiting 8 years to get my hands on. It has a 1984 Colorado tag on it.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...8&highlight=HO

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2021, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wrong engine color and a flex lower radiator hose.
Poor restoration and probably a later model engine.
I Would Walk Away on that convertible.

Can you send me their phone number, ... for a friend ?

Old 10-17-2021, 09:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah Todd, that generic lower hose gripes my ass too. I'll PM the phone number to you.
Or maybe not.

The Following User Says Thank You to 400 4spd. For This Useful Post: