Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 10-17-2021, 09:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hell...I'd just like to take my GTO to VIR someday.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 10-17-2021, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I drag raced back in the early 70s winning class in my 409 Impala in a couple of IHRA events. Autocrossed my 78 Trans am pretty heavily with road race slicks and took it to a Porsche road race event at Texas World Speedway in College Station. Still had the 180 hp 400 and 2.56 rear gears. Would only pull 4000 in third on the oval straight. Most of the road course was in 2nd. Then switched it to drag racing in NMCA.
I picked up a Late Model asphalt car -fuel cell area crunched I was going to make a budget road race car just not enough time and money with other projects.

A few Nascar laps would be cool too.

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 10-17-2021, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Attica, Fremont and Wayne county are the tracks my wife, and I frequent every year, along with Tony Stewarts, Eldora Speedway. Atomic Speedway in Chillicothe Ohio is also one we travel to often.

Attica is the track within 30 minutes of Norwalk, this is probably my wife and I favorite track that runs 410 cu in and 305 cu in sprint cars, they also run super late models as part of their weekly program.

Once every couple of years we'll make it to Brushcreek Speedway if they're running a winged sprint car show.

One other track we like to attend is Limaland Speedway n Lima OH. The track is owned and run by University Of Northwestern Ohio (UNOH) which is a automotive based learning center that has as part of their curriculum, High Performance Motorsports. They actually build and maintain cars that race in the weekly programs featured at the racetrack. Interesting way to learn your trade, as well as having fun doing it.....

The auto mechanics class I attended in high school we had a teacher that built and drove dirt track cars, it made learning much more fun to do it on race cars.

Ohio has it's share of sprint car teams, and also has many dirt tracks that run sprints as part of the weekly program. If you think running ten seconds in a quarter mile is relatively fast, try running it with 4 corners on a dirt surface..........

Of all the forms of motorsports I've participated in, and spectated at, sprint car racing is my favorite. I've never had the opportunity to drive a sprint car, only driven stock cars on dirt, but would love to do it someday before I'm too old to even get in one...........LOL

If I live long enough, I could do one other thing on my bucket list in reference to sprint cars. I'd love to have a Pontiac powered street legal sprint car, but the good Lord will make that decision........

BTW, I tried the Attica site too, (it's on my browser) evidently someone has hacked it, and it's down.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-18-2021, 08:40 AM
Senior Chief

Since I have been "working" on my 80 Bird since 1994 I would just like BOTH time and money to actually build it RIGHT! Since that aint happening...I'm currently trowing it together so it drives to teach my boys how to drive a clutch!...Maybe....just MAYBE 1 of the 3 will find this to be exciting as i do. Hopefully none of them get "bit" by the same "excitement bug" that got me as a teen as that lead to many many not so great adventures. Most of those adventures lead to a learning experience that fuels MY need to do something AT THE NEXT LEVEL.
My bucket list would be to have somebody PAY me to build hot rods! Instead of me trying to find time to actually work on mine....If my JOB was building cool stuff I think i would be satisfied.

Old 10-18-2021, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

DRIVE a NASCAR RACE CAR!

https://www.nascarracingexperience.com/

I've done it and it was fun.

Sponsor of the world's fastest Pontiac powered Ford Fairmont (engine)
5.14 at 140 mph (1/8 mile) , true 10.5 tire, stock type suspension
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qDoJnIP3HgE
Old 10-18-2021, 12:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would get a rotary wing rating for my private pilot license and buy a MD500, and see if I could find a race. You said money and time was not limited, if I were ever in that situation, I’d be in a helicopter in a heartbeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y2si4h06ZrE

I guess it would be a rare find, a helicopter race that is. In the mean time I would just fly around the country chasing my dreams. I would definitely fly to Alaska for some fishing in the summer. When it comes to performance machines airplanes are my favorite, and when it comes to flying machines, helicopters are my favorite. The helicopter is the ultimate high performance machine in my opinion.

Boat racing would be fun, I always liked boating. I probably don’t have what it takes to drive one really fast though, it probably takes more skill than I can imagine. Unlimited hydroplane racing boats seem to be on the ragged edge of control, every moment they are at speed, especially in the corners.

Yeah, never mind the boat racing. Where’s my MD500.

On a serious note, I have a CJ-7 that I replaced the engine in last year.

I removed the 258 and installed a little inline six bored & stroked to 284 CID (4.7), based on a 4.0 out of a Cherokee. It now has more the twice the power. Next, I’m going to convert it for some serious off roading. Not extreme rock crawling, rather I just want to be able to make it through some tough trails, without breaking.

I already a spare CJ-7 frame for my conversion, and a Ford 9” from an early Bronco for the rear axle and a hi pinion Dana 44 from a mid 90’s Ford Bronco, for the front axle.

When I am finished I plan on taking it to some off-road parks to run some tough trails. It’s not really a competition so to speak, but it is a form of Motorsports.

The bucket list for my Jeep is to take it out West, and run some trails ones day.

T-400/PTC 4000/390's/30x9 Hoosier radial slicks,#3400
1.38 60' 6.32 @ 108 MPH at Northeast Dragway NC 5/23/15 (9th pass on new engine)

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ePCu2v...ature=youtu.be

1.37 60' 6.26 @ 109 half track, 9.86 @ 136 1/4 mile, #3350 11/26/16 at Richmond Dragway (125th pass on new engine)
Old 10-18-2021, 01:44 PM
Senior Chief

Finish my bird and road race it locally.
Off Shore powerboat racing,

Old 10-18-2021, 02:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would like to go to the salt lakes for land speed runs. I would like to be there as a helper or on a crew. Hey Jack, you up for it?

Old 10-18-2021, 02:49 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
I would like to go to the salt lakes for land speed runs. I would like to be there as a helper or on a crew. Hey Jack, you up for it?
(me too!)

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
Old 10-18-2021, 07:18 PM
Boost Engineer

For being on of the most barren places on earth, (outside of the deserts) it is a very
spiritual experience. Racers should see "Floating Mountain" at least once in their life.

https://octopup.org/utah2005/saltflats

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 10-19-2021, 12:57 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
... I would like to go to the salt lakes for land speed runs. I would like to be there as a helper or on a crew. Hey Jack, you up for it?...
I hope to visit Bonneville. But racing there is not in the cards. Footing the bill for housing/feeding a crew, etc. plus travel & entry costs is daunting; and costs the same whether track conditions allow any runs or not!
Mike, how about if you volunteer a few weeks of the following winter to totally tear down the lakester, remove all traces of salt, and put it back together- as its former owner and crew had to do after Bonneville 2008.

As for my own bucket list- I've trimmed it down to just one item, so hopefully I'll get it done: Visit Speedy Bill's Museum of American Speed in Lincoln NE for long enough to peruse every single one of its oddball engines- 2 days? 3 days? Since it's in my will for my hemi V8 Pontiac to go there, I really do need to get there. I sort of regret not donating the engine while Bill was still alive.

Last edited by Jack Gifford; 10-19-2021 at 01:07 AM.
Old 10-19-2021, 08:04 AM
Senior Chief

Jack, I'd glad pay my own way.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan