Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-24-2021, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
I believe I have been saying that for years and you told me I'm full of poop.... Glad to see you are learning. That's what these Websites are for.... We did just build one Bad Azz Hi-port stock block engine that made a bunch of power however.
You think I learned that here ? Not hardly.
Help the guy out, he does not want to listen to me. Guys with iron D ports are kicking his and my a$$.
My stock block High Port engine will be a badd azz engine. How much power did yours make ?
BTW, Edelbrocks new E head help make that decision. Wish I had a set.

Old 04-24-2021, 04:43 PM
Suspended

Maybe check http://www.checkeredflagmachine.net/...er-heads-.html

Old 04-24-2021, 10:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would keep the Jones Cam. But put it back in at 110. Try the longer rockers after you get it back together. I agree with the others here on possibly having port work done. I would definetly have the valves spring pressures checked while the heads are off. Your statement about shifting at 6000 to 6500 with no change in ET makes me wonder if they are strong enough. I had similar results with a set of weak springs. My car never "laid over" or fell off on the top end but when i finally checked the springs they were weak. New spring and I picked up 2 mph.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragncar View Post
You think I learned that here ? Not hardly.
Help the guy out, he does not want to listen to me. Guys with iron D ports are kicking his and my a$$.
My stock block High Port engine will be a badd azz engine. How much power did yours make ?
BTW, Edelbrocks new E head help make that decision. Wish I had a set.
Doesn't matter if you learned it here or somewhere else as long as you got it figured out.

Which new E-head are you talking about? ...... Right now they don't have much for our Pontiacs and most other makes. I have several sets of heads and a few manifolds on B.O. I was originally told April 6 and now being told the middle of May.

Old 04-24-2021, 10:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also, what is Your fuel system? I would pull the line from the carb, run the pump through the regulator into a 5 gal gas can. Run it for 1 minute to check how much gas it pumps. General rule is a motor needs 1/2 lb (weight) of fuel per HP per Hour.. So a 600 HP motor will need 300 lbs by weight of fuel per hour. 1 pound of gas weighs 6.5 lbs. So using this formula Run the pump through the regulator for 1 minute. If it pumps 2 gallons of gas that shoukd be enough to support 780 HP. ( 2gal. X 6.5lbs X 60minutes)

Old 04-24-2021, 11:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAUL K View Post
Doesn't matter if you learned it here or somewhere else as long as you got it figured out.

Which new E-head are you talking about? ...... Right now they don't have much for our Pontiacs and most other makes. I have several sets of heads and a few manifolds on B.O. I was originally told April 6 and now being told the middle of May.
Their new 72cc head with CNC chamber. It my understanding they used lessons from their original head and their Pro Ports and came up with a sweet little head. Heard it has a bit more material for porting in certain spots but do not know it as a fact.
Now, how much power does your bad boy High Port stock block engine make ? CR ?

Old 04-25-2021, 08:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Their new 72cc head with CNC chamber. It my understanding they used lessons from their original head and their Pro Ports and came up with a sweet little head. Heard it has a bit more material for porting in certain spots but do not know it as a fact.
Now, how much power does your bad boy High Port stock block engine make ? CR ?
One huge issue with those e-heads is they changed the seat diameter so you can only go up to a 2.19 intake valve. Ok for stock blocks but too small for aftermarket blocks.

Old 04-25-2021, 06:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
One huge issue with those e-heads is they changed the seat diameter so you can only go up to a 2.19 intake valve. Ok for stock blocks but too small for aftermarket blocks.
Something about that does not seem.............right.

Old 04-25-2021, 07:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Brian,
Are you saying you can no longer put a valve bigger than 2.19" in the heads or they got cheap and are using a smaller seat ring? So that now you need to replace the seat ring to install a valve larger than 2.19".

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 04-25-2021, 07:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan Weiss View Post
Brian,
Are you saying you can no longer put a valve bigger than 2.19" in the heads or they got cheap and are using a smaller seat ring? So that now you need to replace the seat ring to install a valve larger than 2.19".

Stan
From my understanding the od of the seat now now smaller and 2.19 is biggest valve that'll fit

Old 04-25-2021, 08:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
From my understanding the od of the seat now now smaller and 2.19 is biggest valve that'll fit
Thats the case with Speedmaster heads. Hard to believe Edelbrock would do that. They know what it done with their heads.
Besides, hard to believe the 2 people I know of who have 2.25 intakes on new CNC E heads are making it up.

Old 04-25-2021, 08:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Thats the case with Speedmaster heads. Hard to believe Edelbrock would do that. They know what it done with their heads.
Besides, hard to believe the 2 people I know of who have 2.25 intakes on new CNC E heads are making it up.
I hope im wrong. Would love to hear first hand experience

Old 04-25-2021, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You can look at the pics, the seats in the old style chamber sure seem to butt up against another more than the newer style chamber. Looks to me like seat od was decreased on new head.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-04-25-21-22-22.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	20.4 KB
ID:	565434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2021-04-25-21-21-27.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	20.5 KB
ID:	565435  

Old 04-25-2021, 10:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
You can look at the pics, the seats in the old style chamber sure seem to butt up against another more than the newer style chamber. Looks to me like seat od was decreased on new head.
The original style bathtub chamber is the better choice for a max-effort deal.

Old 04-26-2021, 04:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So in other words I should sell my HP's and get some Edelbrocks. I should have sent my old Eheads to Paul K. Like I was originally planning. If I could afford it I would just build a 505 or 535. But not in the budget.
Scott S.
My fuel system is an Aeromotive 150 SS pump through a 1/2 inch line to an Aeromotive dead head regulator that splits into two -6 lines to the carb. Also, my valve springs are Hiwards 1.625 OD and they probably don't even have a 100 miles on them and a handful of 1/4 mile passes. I checked them with an on head checker and they were che king around 220 on the seat. Thanjs fir your help.

Old 04-26-2021, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLANK1 View Post
So in other words I should sell my HP's and get some Edelbrocks. I should have sent my old Eheads to Paul K. Like I was originally planning. If I could afford it I would just build a 505 or 535. But not in the budget.
Scott S.
My fuel system is an Aeromotive 150 SS pump through a 1/2 inch line to an Aeromotive dead head regulator that splits into two -6 lines to the carb. Also, my valve springs are Hiwards 1.625 OD and they probably don't even have a 100 miles on them and a handful of 1/4 mile passes. I checked them with an on head checker and they were che king around 220 on the seat. Thanjs fir your help.
Can't change the past.... Milling the heads will help. I think a Victor will work better than the NW. The Jones cam is close enough to call good. I would install it at 108 or 109. Go have fun and keep chipping away. I have always liked to have a fuel pressure gauge mounted where I can watch it going down the track. Later on have a good shop go through your Hi-ports..... I'm sending you a PM in regards to the manifold.

Last edited by PAUL K; 04-26-2021 at 05:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2021, 05:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLANK1 View Post
Scott S.
That is great but have you checked the flow? I chased my arse years ago and finally found that it was a small piece of fuel line that had worked it way into the input side of the fuel regulator.

Stan

David Vizard & Stan Weiss' IOP / Flow / Induction Optimization - Cam Selection Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV
Download FREE 14 Trial IOP / Flow Software
http://www.magneticlynx.com/DV/Flow_..._Day_Trial.php
Pontiac Pump Gas List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_gas.htm
Using PMD Block and Heads List
http://www.magneticlynx.com/carfor/pont_pmd.htm
Old 04-26-2021, 05:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Cool

Thanks Paul K. I think that's what I'm just going to do. My brother has a Victor he's not using.
Stan, no I have not yet.

The Following User Says Thank You to BLANK1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 05:23 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

These were my best times at the Pontiac Nats. Car #972. Still not impressed even with the changes. Dont know what happened to my 60 fts. Maybe its the Viking DA shocks. 60 footed better with my old comp 3 ways. MPH still not that much better. Basically still running the same. Car race weight was 3875. How do I get this thing to run low 10's without resorting to nitrous? Tired of putting money and time in it and getting no where. I know I need more track time. But most tracks are two hours away and they just bracket race. Drive all that way for a couple runs not worth it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210808_173700.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	62.2 KB
ID:	573990  

Old 09-28-2021, 05:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As you can see in the 2 slips,your getting killed in the 60ft.Chassis work looks like required.Tom