Old 06-12-2021, 01:06 AM

Default Old school clear plastic seat covers ?

Seems like no one makes these anymore or I’m not looking in the right places. Anyone know of a place to sew up a set of clear covers ? LeBaron Bonny used to carry them but they are long gone. I tried Ciadella but they dont do them anymore . Cant believe no one does these anymore

Old 06-12-2021, 04:35 PM
Boost Engineer

Now Days, people who were children back in the 60s whose families drove cars with Plastic Seat Covers, hate the things for the most part.
They were hot in the sun, burned your "south 40" every time you got in the car (or truck).

Also back then IF the Farmer traded the car in and it had a top notch interior, (after a carpet vacuuming and the plastic covers removed), the Dealer could sell the car/truck "slightly used" for Top Dollar. Turning back the odo was more common than you would think in those days.

So Mr alleyCat, why do you want the things if I might ask???

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-12-2021, 06:39 PM

The last place I saw them was in the J.C. Whitney catalog, but I just checked their website (they are moving to Car-Part.com) and they don't seem to have them anymore. I wonder if they still have some sitting on a dusty shelf in a back room.

There was a guy on the HAMB board a few years ago who came across a warehouse full of 1950s and 1960s seat covers, but as I recall they were mainly the kind made of plaid pattern plastic. I suppose you'll have to watch for them from old car part sellers or on eBay.

Old 06-12-2021, 11:21 PM

I should have got them a few years back but they were pricey from Lebaron Bonney. I regret it now. Tom I want to preserve a pristine original interior without covering it up with towels or sheets. I want to see the interior but not ruin it. I had a set made for a 63 HO Catalina years ago and they are awsum. Sticky yes when its hot but I dont drive it all that much.

Old 06-13-2021, 03:08 PM
Boost Engineer

Thanks for the explanation.
Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 06-13-2021, 08:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Why would you want clear seat covers?

Old 06-13-2021, 10:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If only my Italian grandmother was still around. She'd sew those things up in no time. She made them for the car, for the couch, everything.

Old 06-14-2021, 12:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I’d bet an upholstery shop (auto or furniture) could make ‘em for you. Probably won’t be cheap.

Old 06-14-2021, 01:17 AM

I wish my Italian grandma was around too. You guys just made a lighbulb go off ! I am going to try a furniture guy and see if they can do it !

Old 06-14-2021, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66sprint6 View Post
If only my Italian grandmother was still around. She'd sew those things up in no time. She made them for the car, for the couch, everything.
Lol. You got me with this ! French provincial furniture plastic covered that NO ONE was allowed to sit on !

Old 06-14-2021, 06:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 06-14-2021, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There’s prob a guy in Hamtramck that does them.l

Old 06-14-2021, 08:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here you go

https://amadeusplasticslipcovers.com/

The Following User Says Thank You to burd For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2021, 08:52 AM

The last pair I had made I had a furniture upholstery guy do it. They can still get the material (clear or clear puffed). I had to take the seats out and deliver them to him but he made them up real nice. Only way I know to do it now. I have searched and searched and no one has the sewn up kits for sale.

2005 GTO Quick Silver/Red
Fayetteville, NC
Do It Right or Don't Do It All
Old 06-14-2021, 09:30 AM

I already contacted Vito’s Rehupolstery in Chicago but they do not work with plastic anymore. I will find one though. There are a lot of them around. No problem bringing the seats to them.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:46 AM

Back in the early 70's, I used to sew them up all the time for the 'Ol folks on their Cadillac's, Bonneville's and Oldsmobile's. Even had the fancy gold welting to dress them up a little. Man, those old cars they drove stayed pristine for years. I'd love to have one of them now. I guess we stopped making those covers up around the mid 80's. Haven't seen that embossed plastic since then. A guy can still but the thin clear plastic as we use it for boat glass all the time.

Old 06-14-2021, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stich View Post
Back in the early 70's, I used to sew them up all the time for the 'Ol folks on their Cadillac's, Bonneville's and Oldsmobile's. Even had the fancy gold welting to dress them up a little. Man, those old cars they drove stayed pristine for years. I'd love to have one of them now. I guess we stopped making those covers up around the mid 80's. Haven't seen that embossed plastic since then. A guy can still but the thin clear plastic as we use it for boat glass all the time.
Yeah I include myself in that age catagory now. At least this got me thinking about furniture guys now !

Old 06-15-2021, 10:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I remember all of the different textures and patterns that were available. The rolls were on a rack at the fabric store and you would just pull off what you needed by the yard. I always loved the smell over at that end of the store.