Old 09-09-2021, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Question about 1962 gas tank

I have a thread going about a Firebird gas tank which reminded me about a question concerning my 62 Catalina. My car was restored when I bought it, some of it beautiful, some not so great. When you open the fuel filler door and look in around the cap and neck, you can see the ground. There is a support strap that looks factory bolted-in to support the neck but that's about it. As nicely as these cars were finished, such as the close-outs around the door hinges, it seems like there may be some sheet metal missing from the inner quarter panel that would close out the filler neck from seeing the ground. I have never owned a 62, so need some help from the experts here. Thanks.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

All the 1961 big cars I've owned were that way, so I assume 1962 cars were the same - no shroud or anything, when you open the filler door there's just the filler tube and a bunch of open space.

Old 09-09-2021, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

2X Stuart.Tom

Old 09-09-2021, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

3x and '63 and '64 cars also. There was a rubber shield clipped to the inside edge of the wheel well that kept water from splashing up onto the gas tank when the cars came from the factory. These often go missing during restoration.

Old 09-09-2021, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Smile

Thank you very much. There's a part I don't need to look for!