Old 10-15-2021, 02:55 PM

I'm a little late getting onto this thread but my '69 GTO also has vinyl top code F - which is Dark Fawn. The car is Mayfair Maize with Dark Fawn vinyl top (40 F) with a gold interior (code 252). The Dark Fawn top seems to be somewhat unusual or maybe it's because most have been replaced with black or deleted entirely so we just don't know when we see a car that formerly had a Dark Fawn top.

Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
I bought mine at SMS in Oregon. They have NOS material but they are slow to work with!
Quote:
Originally Posted by north View Post
One other thing to bear in mind with SMS if you are fussy is the position of the seams between the backlight (rear window) and trunk lid. 3 of 4 times they’ve sent me a top with the seams in the wrong place.
North,
You took the words right out of my mouth regarding SMS. I ordered my Dark Fawn top from SMS in early 2021 after asking for a sample of their NOS material. It was a perfect match to the sample in the '69 Trim and Color dealer manual. It took about 4 months to get the top and it looks great except SMS put the seams in the wrong place below the back window (44" apart instead of the correct 52" spacing). This really made me unhappy since I gave them the correct seam width when I ordered the top. I also called back a month after placing the order and asked "is the seam width noted on my order?" the nice lady answers "no, it's not on your order but I'll add it now." I then followed up by sending an email with the information as well as a photo of the car with the dimension shown in a photo. SMS still made it wrong and has not been willing to fix the top or even admit they made it wrong (44" seam width instead of the correct 52" spacing). I think there is enough excess material on the side that I can cut it off and take the top to a local upholstery shop and have them replace the section below the rear window with the heat-pressed seam in the correct locations. This is a bummer since the top cost ~$500.

SMS did make me a great gold headliner with correct NOS material (the sample from Legendary was not even close to correct) that fit perfectly. I'm still waiting for my gold seat covers and door panels from SMS. I had to send my originals to them to use as patterns. They had NOS gold vinyl which was an exact match to the originals. The gold vinyl sample from Legendary was reproduction material and was pretty close to the original but not exactly correct like SMS.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0122.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	67.1 KB
ID:	575250   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0126.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	85.1 KB
ID:	575251   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0127.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	575252   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0142.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	575254  

Last edited by BUQUICK; 10-15-2021 at 03:27 PM.
Old 10-15-2021, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very classy color combo.

Do you mind saying what the headliner cost and how long it took?

Old 10-15-2021, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Very classy color combo.

Do you mind saying what the headliner cost and how long it took?
The headliner was ordered 3/5/21 and was delivered to me on 4/27/21. The cost was $289 plus shipping. It included extra material for the sunvisors and the rear sail panels. SMS sent a free sample and it was a 9.5/10 match to the original material (they said it was NOS material). The sample Legendary sent was not even close to the correct color.

Here are photos right after installation.

The code 252 gold interior is a lot of extra work since we have to paint or dye every interior part except the door panels, seat covers, headliner, and seat belts. Among the remaining components there are several different shades of “gold” as well.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	02972A74-F988-48E0-9405-93DE0F1D0D8B.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	575276   Click image for larger version

Name:	11E410DA-F916-48B4-81A3-6BA3222EA6D2.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	575277  

Old 10-15-2021, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very nice, not a bid delivery time either.

I just bought my batch of clips like yours So you got it all sorted with the clips and then glued?

Might have to try sell my recently purchased mis-matched headliner and go with SMS if that price and ETA still holds.