Old 09-17-2021, 12:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default When to tighten Bushings

I know it's standard practice to tighten bushings after car is assembled and sitting on the tires .... isn't that a bit difficult with the car sitting on the ground? Do you have to get it on a wheel lift?

I've got the engine in, core support/rad, battery, body down (no interior or doors) .... too early to tighten them?

Old 09-17-2021, 01:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Still too early. You need everything on and in the car. Doors, glass, full interior, wiring, fuel tank w/gas, other fluids, etc. In other words, everything. Your car is hundreds of pounds underweight in its current state. If it's too low for you to get underneath the car when it's fully laden, you can always raise it up and set the tires down on bricks or platforms made from 2x4s, so long as everything is secure.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 09-17-2021 at 01:40 PM.
Old 09-17-2021, 03:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I had my front end alignment man torque the front and back when I went in for an alignment. Easy for him, since it's on it's wheels and up in the air.

Old 09-17-2021, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
I know it's standard practice to tighten bushings after car is assembled and sitting on the tires .... isn't that a bit difficult with the car sitting on the ground? Do you have to get it on a wheel lift?

I've got the engine in, core support/rad, battery, body down (no interior or doors) .... too early to tighten them?
put it up on car ramps.. or jack stands under the control arms. full weight on the suspension & plenty of room to get under it with a torque wrench.

Old 09-17-2021, 05:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Are you using rubber bushings? If you're using delrin or other solid bushings, or even poly bushings that likely have an internal sleeve, those can be torqued to spec at any time, unless otherwise noted in the instructions.

Anything that physically grabs the crossshaft needs to be torqued with the car's full weight on them. As mentioned above, that means all the body work, bumpers, interior etc. Having the alignment guy do it while it's up on the rack is actually a good idea, if you can't get to them yourself. Just drive carefully and methodically to the shop.

Old 09-17-2021, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep, all rubber.

I have a QuickJack coming, was thinking I could take it up and then set the tires down on ramps or something.

Old 09-17-2021, 05:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Yep, all rubber.

I have a QuickJack coming, was thinking I could take it up and then set the tires down on ramps or something.
yes ramps... or jackstands under the control arms. or a combo of both. i use ramps up front & jack stands on the rear axles.

The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2021, 05:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

One thing important to note as well is that the bushings should be torqued when the car is at static ride height, with all it's laden weight. If all the suspension parts are brand new, including the springs, you might want to put the car on the ground, roll it back and forth a bit and let it sit for a couple days so everything settles in. Then torque the bushings.