Old 09-25-2021, 01:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 68 endura repop?

Anyone have experience using the RESTOPARTS 68/69 endura nose?

I need to buy one that won’t need much massaging and hopefully not crack after paint.

Old 09-25-2021, 04:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nobody?

Old 09-26-2021, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Has it been redesigned? I am not familiar with the one you are mentioning, but years back there was a lot of high expectations of one that came out. that turned out to be not so great after a few had given it a try. Its Been crickets since then.

Somebody will chime in, but this type of question may take some time before the right member see the post about it.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
Old 09-26-2021, 02:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have only been able to find one brand-Dynacorn. Even the Restoparts unit is actually Dynacorn. According to that seller, it is a good piece but I’d rather hear from someone that has bought and installed it.

Old 09-28-2021, 11:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a guy in town who eschewed a slightly tweaked original Endura for one of these. I saw it on his car and it looked "OK". From what I gathered in that meeting and from touching it, is that the support was not the same at the front of the nose. I can't speak authoritatively on this, but that is my recollection.

Land of Lakes Muscle Car Classic
Facebook Event
Facebook Wall (Kurt Smith,Minneapolis)
Old 09-28-2021, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by supersport#69 View Post
Anyone have experience using the RESTOPARTS 68/69 endura nose?

I need to buy one that won’t need much massaging and hopefully not crack after paint.
Why not use a good original?

Old 09-28-2021, 06:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Nice used

X2 on nice used.

then do a search here on PY for proper preparation & refinishing w SPI epoxy primer.

Old 09-28-2021, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'ol Pinion head View Post
X2 on nice used.

then do a search here on PY for proper preparation & refinishing w SPI epoxy primer.
I have an NOS endura bumper if needed.

Old 09-29-2021, 08:33 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Bent Enduras can be straightened at a bumper shop. I had it done on mine. You will probably have to go back a time or two to get it exactly right. It doesn't chew up the Endura. I have had mine sandblasted, it gets all the old paint and oxidized rubber off the bumper for good adhesion. Strippers might soak in and cause problems later. Hand sanding is time consuming. I have a Dynacorn bumper in my shed. It was $700+. It arrived cracked along the edge of one end. it is a little lighter than a real one. Its also very hard. The body shop didn't want to use it. I think its made of fiberglass. It does appear to have correct contours and dimensions for good fit. My wife suffered master cylinder failure and rear ended a Hyundai and bent mine severely but it was bent back and is on the car now.
To tell if a 68-69 bumper is tweaked, set it on a perfectly level surface pointing up. If it sits on all four mounting points then its probably OK. If it wobbles on 3 then you're going to have to straighten it.

Old 09-30-2021, 12:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My original is nice but the painter may have used incorrect materials for cracks because the cracks came back and showing through primer.

I’m going with the 3m 2 part epoxy 05900 and spi epoxy primer this time around.

Old 09-30-2021, 10:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I can't attest to the longevity of the 3M stuff, but it sure shapes, sticks, and sands well. You can create some pretty delicate features with it and it seems secure ... stuff like rebuilding a small edge, or filling a big crack. It was so nice to work with that I was looking for other things to fix with it.

Really is worth it to give a go fixing the original, I had never worked on an Endura before and mine is coming out great. Sandblasting is definitely the way to remove the old finishes.

Anyone ever use the 3M on a steering wheel? I've been using JB weld so far, but this 3M product would be much easier to work with.