Old 09-28-2021, 02:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default General 68-69 A-body weather strip questions

Rather than starting a new topic for every weather strip question I have, I thought I'd start this topic and welcome everyone to post their questions.

I'm putting it here instead of the "Interior" section because of the substantial difference in the small details of how various years weather stripping installs.

Question one.

Are you guys gluing in your trunk weather stripping? Mine seems to fit pretty snug in the channel. The car is unlikely to ever see rain or water washing ... should I glue it in anyway?

Old 09-28-2021, 03:43 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I glued mine and actually, l do still get a bit of water in my trunk on the rare occasion when l spray it at the carwash. Never did climb in to see where it's coming from since it rarely gets wet and l'm not sure if l trust my wife to let me out!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 08:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid View Post
I glued mine and actually, l do still get a bit of water in my trunk on the rare occasion when l spray it at the carwash. Never did climb in to see where it's coming from since it rarely gets wet and l'm not sure if l trust my wife to let me out!
Your car gets wet???

I glued mine in. I didn't go crazy, just fitted it, then pulled it back out, ran a bead of weatherstrip adhesive in the channel. For what its worth, I had a sacrificial weatherstrip installed without adhesive during all my bodywork phases & it stayed put the whole time without issue.

I did have to initially use tape to hold the corners in the right place, but once the trunk was closed for a long duration it seemed to get a memory & the tape was removed.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA

Last edited by 68ragtop; 09-28-2021 at 09:05 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 68ragtop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep I was thinking I'd leave it unglued at least until I finished all the trunk work in case I need to remove it. Installed it now because I wanted to adjust the latch and gaps with the pressure from the weather strip in play.

Old 09-28-2021, 10:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Next question: I bought some replacement weather strip that goes in the front of the side window sash channel. Got it from Ames, pretty much totally different than OEM but looks like it might work well.

However, this window sash channel, part of the vent window post/support has a metal channel rivetted in on the lower half where it is inside the door. This replacement weather strip is not going to fit into that ... must it be removed?

The OEM setup appears to have been two pieces, one metal backed rubber that fit into the channel above the door, and this larger metal channel that held the "fuzzies" inside the door.

This replacement is long enough to go from top to bottom ... but not unless the OEM channel is removed. Should it be glued in? It fits pretty snug in the channel (in the area is can go without removing the OEM metal channel) and has the location for the anchor screw at the top.

Any advice?

Old 09-28-2021, 12:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I glued the channel in Data. And yes, you have to remove the old fuzzy to make it sit properly.

I set my trunk weatherstripping in about a year ago without gluing. Closed the lid and came back to it a few months later to adjust the gaps and lid.
Its an NOS piece that compresses very well.
I haven't decided to glue it in yet, but will probably do so when the car is finished.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-28-2021, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is the specific channel I was talking about.

In the left of the photo you see the steel channel that is riveted in from the factory, and a picture of the rivet(s) .... so that is what I need to remove? Cause if I put the replacement channel in the recess where the steel channel came out it's not going to stick out nearly as far as the OEM piece ... I have my doubts it will catch the edge of the glass enough. Although it would be the same as the OEM channel on the vent window post .... so I don't know.

Also a couple of photos of the tool I made for putting in the inner firewall pad clips(pins) .... just a fully threaded 1/4" bolt about 3" long. Grind down the end of the bolt to knock off any sharp edges, and take the threads down a bit for more clearance. Adjust the nuts to the depth you need, tighten them, throw on some washers and tap the pins in ... lot cheaper than the $12-18 tool I see for sale ... AND adjustable I just threw it in a ziplock with the spare pins so I won't have to search for it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	WindowSash-1.jpg
Views:	285
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	573998   Click image for larger version

Name:	WindowSash-2.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	76.7 KB
ID:	573999   Click image for larger version

Name:	FirewallTool-1.jpg
Views:	288
Size:	80.0 KB
ID:	574000   Click image for larger version

Name:	FirewallTool-2.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	574001  

Old 10-10-2021, 04:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

What are you guys using to seal between the roof rail SS weather strip channel and the roof? The $12 each repop part .... or some off the shelf 1" wide sealing tape of some kind?
A multitude of 1" wide, various thickness adhesive rubber sealing tapes are available.

Old 10-10-2021, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought the foam tape Ames has mainly becasue I was placing an order and don't have a lot of options locally. It is just a very thin black foam with PSA on one side. I'm not even sure if it is 1/16" thick, but don't have any left to measure.

I think the main thing is you want to use something that will easily compress and allow the channel to be pulled tight to the roof with no visible gap. If you use something too thick/not compressible, the channel may distort where the screws attach.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mrennie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-10-2021, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In addition to the weatherstrip, Fisher manual says to add a bead of sealant to the outboard flange of the weatherstripping.

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

Last edited by OG68; 10-10-2021 at 01:30 PM. Reason: old age
The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-11-2021, 03:46 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I was thinking of using a self fusing, adhesive butyl rubber tape. So the 1/8" thick stuff I was looking at is too thick. Seems like a good bead of asphalt roof sealant would work ... that appears to be what the factory used ... some kind of nasty, hard to remove tarry stuff

Old 10-11-2021, 01:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only thing I don't like about butyl tape is that if it's exposed to the exterior so that water runs over and off of it, it seems to leave dark streaks. Other than that though I think it's great for that kind of application. I've used it to seal things like that before even when I had to just cut a strip off and form it to the size needed for the application.
I used asphalt roof sealant to caulk the air box for my AC delete cover. It has held up but it does dry pretty hard and inflexible... At least the version I used did.

The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that tape can be handy when you get a car that the door weatherstrip lets in water at the lower front corner of the doors. This happens when body fitment requires the doors being mounted ever so slightly outside their normal factory position. This allows water into the interior right at the front of the door. The tape creates some extra thickness to insure a seal between the door and the jam.

1969 LeMans Safari 2 seat Wagon
1969 GTO (2 Cvt, 2 Hardtops & Judge Hardtop)
1969 Catalina (3 Cvt’s & a 2dr hardtop)
1969 Ventura 2 Seat Wagon
1969 Executive 4dr Sedan
1969 Bonnie Cvt
1969 Bonnie 3 Seat Wagon (2 of them)
1969 Bonnie Brougham (4dr Hardtop & Cvt)
1969 Grand Prix SJ (2 of them)
1969 2+2 2dr Hardtop (Canadian model)
The Following User Says Thank You to north For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Next questions ..... I'm trying to set the quarter window sash that just presses on to the front of the quarter glass. Using the product Ames sells for this ... so far no luck, seems way too thick. I wrapped it around the front the glass, formed it down real nice and if I try to put the metal sash on it just tears the "tape". Tried warming it up some, didn't seem to help much.

Any tips and tricks I should know?

Old 10-12-2021, 05:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I just replaced one of those recently and you're right, it is way too thick. I wound up using some high voltage rubber splicing tape that I've had around here for years. It's about .025" thick.
Soaped it up first and cut the excess after installation. If you can't find something similar let me know and I'll donate a yard of it to the cause.

Last edited by Greg Reid; 10-12-2021 at 05:34 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg Reid For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2021, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've got an incredible selection of tape in my shop ... I've got kind of a tape thing I thought there was something super special about this glass setting tape.

So basically, as long as I get it on there securely with something reasonably sticky on both sides I should be good? I'm seeing a LOT of similar complaints on other forums about the tape. I'll try some soap too.

I'm getting a bit disappointed with Ames ... so far about 25% of what I get from them ends up in the garbage except for the stuff they are drop shipping from someone else.