Old 10-01-2021, 04:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Right hand tail light housing in left side?

Anyone ever used a right hand tail light housing in the left side, or vice versa? Wondering if it can be made to work. They seem identical except for a bit of a curve in the housing that is side specific. Harness might have to be swapped around or something to reach the body hole. Plugs are identical.

I'm stuck with two nice right sides and no left. One of them is NOS with a bit of shelf wear. Willing to swap for VERY nice left side.

Old 10-01-2021, 03:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

And .... what is the OEM hardware setup for holding in the tail light housings? I don't see it listed anywhere. I'm sure 68 was probably a unique year for this hardware. Off hand it looked like it used a threaded clip that slipped over the housing and a screw went through the tab in the bumper and into the housing/clip.

My initial impression is that two right side housings can be used. Just a little bit of strangeness on the wrong side. Wires will reach it looks like, just not a great seal to the bumper on the wrong side.

Where does the ground strip for the lights go? To one of the little screws on the bumper mounts? I see two screws on each bumper mount ... what's the other one for?

Last edited by dataway; 10-01-2021 at 04:01 PM.
Old 10-01-2021, 08:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You asked and you shall receive.

Early on my dad clipped someone while passing. Minimal body damage but caught the right side bumper edge and pulled it back. The body shop probably didn't know the housings and lenses were different.
But to get to the point, I had two lefts when I went to put the bumper together. The one on the right side was cracked probably due to it not fitting right so I'd be wary of trying to use two of the same for both sides. I did find another right side that needed repair but was able to fiberglass the damage fairly easy and use the sockets from the second left side housing. So if you need a left I have it, but no sockets.

Installation was also easy once you have the correct hardware. The bumper tabs are threaded so a nut isn't needed. Getting the rubber seals to fit into the body for the trunk wiring wasn't easy but with lots of lubricant they finally snapped in.

So look at the photos, the ground straps should be explanatory.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A1A301F9-177E-4BB7-8FFC-1C4DE71B3642_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	574162   Click image for larger version

Name:	4F631289-41B6-42E9-85A4-AA036FB0D313_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	574163   Click image for larger version

Name:	0111CDB4-1939-4980-8CE2-9D3285FB3E78_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	60.7 KB
ID:	574164   Click image for larger version

Name:	1014D1D1-D1FC-45F0-94AA-385B945FCB9A_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	52
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	574168   Click image for larger version

Name:	6A66E15E-DF31-4FC6-A3F9-91A677816891_1_201_a.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	574169  

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2021, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Something else I noted. The wiring harnesses for the housings are the same for left and right. Same wire colors even thought the turn signal wires should be different. I checked other tail light housings on line with the same results. Anyone else notice this on your 68's?

1968 GTO (Thanks Mom)
2006 Silverado
2007 Cadillac SRX
2015 Chevy Express

The Following User Says Thank You to OG68 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2021, 09:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is our thread that touched on some of this a couple years back.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...ight=taillight

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
78 S/E Trans am L78, WS6 Auto
78 S/E Trans am W72, WS6 Auto
79 10th aniv W72 Trans am
80 Indy pace car Trans am
89 Trans am GTA
The Following User Says Thank You to 68ragtop For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2021, 11:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

OG68 ... after reviewing that old thread .... I think I'm going to try using the to rights for now unless someone has a real nice left side for trade. I think I'd make a mess of things trying to install sockets .... if I'm not happy with the fit I'll have plenty of time to find one down the road. Thanks much for the pics.

Yep, same colors left and right, which really surprised me too.

Bumper has been rechromed ... I think it filled up the threads in the holes. I was trying to thread a 1/4-20 bolt in them and wasn't having any luck. Wonder if they use some unusual pitch like on many of the other body bolts. I don't have the original bolts, probably wouldn't hurt running a tap through them and just using 1/4-20.

Jeez, I was being kind of optimistic with my timing in that old thread

Old 10-02-2021, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post

Jeez, I was being kind of optimistic with my timing in that old thread
its amazing how long all these details can take, isn't it? I had painted my car in pieces, but at the same time it was painted, I was thinking 6 more months & I would be finally done. I'll have to look at some pics, but I think it was closer to 2 years. The backside of the project was for sure more enjoyable. Data, you have been taking notes & sharing details of your knowledge for so many years & helping others including myself. It's really cool to see you kicking some butt on your car.

I also enjoy re-reading some of the old threads & watching you pin down all these details. It helps me appreciate the amount of work these cars can be. My car has been done for almost 2 years & when its all in one piece again you tend to forget all the time spent getting there.

My bumper was the same way, extra copper & chrome build up. I had a pile of problems with that on the grill trim. None of the pins fit back into the plastic! got it resolved, but the chrome plating company had no idea that those mounting bosses could not increase in diameter. He did a great job keeping the threads clean though.

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
The Following User Says Thank You to 68ragtop For This Useful Post:
Old 10-03-2021, 03:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Well I've had to make some modifications my desires for perfect originality. Initially I was doing everything I could to protect the value of the car as original as possible. As of late my situation has changed and instead of selling the car I've owned for 44 years to contribute to the retirement fund, I will be able to keep it and drive it, so now drivability and reliability are the primary concern. This has sped up the process considerably when you don't have to search and wait for the perfect original parts.

I certainly HOPE I forget all the time I spent Looking forward to driving it and taking my time correcting anything I'm doing wrong now. As it is I need to have it in one piece drivable condition for a move down south within the next year. Back home to TN where it may grace some of the same roads it did in the 60's.

Old 10-03-2021, 05:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here is what I ended up with .... just an ever so slightly wonky upper left corner on the left hand tail light. I think I can correct some of it tomorrow, installed them from the inside of course when I couldn't see how well they were aligned. From what I can see there wasn't a lot of precision involved here from the factory.

Also a pic of the right hand NOS housing and wiring on the right side, made some grounding straps out of pure zinc, dipped the appropriate area in "Plasti-dip" to replicate the originals. Two outside screws are wrong, only suitable pieces I had in my drawer of old GM hardware had the built in washers.

I picked up the NOS housing about 25 years ago at Carlyle, interesting the different color material, it appears to be stronger and less prone to oxidation than the white OEM material.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail-Light-Left.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	574255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail-Light-Right.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	574256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Tail-light-wiring-Right.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	42.1 KB
ID:	574257  

Old 10-03-2021, 07:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks really nice! I doubt anybody will catch that unless you tell them about it first.....
Where did you have your bumper chromed? pretty happy with it?

My sister & her family live south of Nashville. Cars & Coffee shows almost every weekend.
My nephew & Brother in-law make it to many of them. Car gatherings are pretty much done for the season up here in
the North Woods.... 5 months of little to nothing coming up. If you can deal with 8 weeks of hot weather the payback
getting south is great!

68 GTO 4-spd Convertible
89 Trans am GTA
Old 10-04-2021, 02:25 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Bumper chrome looks WAY better in that picture that it does in person. I bought this rechromed OEM bumper from a forum member. Suitable for a driver, chrome is thin along the top edge. Where it was thick enough it's very nice, not sure where he had it done, but I'll have it done again at some point.

Although, considering what a pain it's being trying to get it lined up properly I'm not sure I want to take if off again.

Anyone ever tried a little heat to get the tail light wiring plug in the hole. One went it easy enough, the other is not cooperating. Thought maybe warming it up some would make the plastic a bit softer.

Last edited by dataway; 10-04-2021 at 02:36 AM.
Old 10-04-2021, 05:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Got the tail light plug in ... little heat was the key ... set my heat gun to blow somewhat hotter than the high setting on a blow drier and pulled on the wires in kind of a circular motion while adding heat, after a few minutes one of the edges popped through the hole and then the rest came through shortly after.

ragtop .... I grew up in TN, parents are still there, so hopefully I'll reacclimate to the warm weather ... I can tell you I'm getting tired of the cold weather up north. Used to be proud of my "manliness" working outside in the cold up here .... now it just kind of hurts