Old 04-21-2010, 12:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont know if you need a Version 2. Id go the route of the lens. It seems like you have enough LEDs to make it work right. Im sure someone can fabricate a lens for you. After all you have the old one to use as the size template.

Old 04-21-2010, 02:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Tempest View Post
Nice test, It seems that the LED's lost a lot from bare light to the lens cover. The bulbs looked brighter.

Huh.so Version 2.0 will have more lights?? How many are in thee now?
yes they did, thats why im thinking a clear lens with red leds....as for the total LEDs...lets see..14 in a row, 3 rows per section, 3 sections per tail light...so whats that? 126 per side total. there will have to be more red because the red LEDs generally are not as bright.

Paul, I will only go with LEDs if I can get them brighter that stock, and v1.0 isnt. so i am thinking v2.0 with more red LEDs and a clear lens.

66 GTO clone, 467 cubic inches of Turbocharged Multiport Fuel Injected fury twisting a TH400 into 3.90's wrapped in a 12 bolt posi.

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
My Vortech Supercharger Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

May the Karma Gods meet you half way....
Old 04-21-2010, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

you know whats wierd, in the pic of both tail light lenses on. do you see in the middle of the inner of the 3 sections how there seems to be a column of brightness? that is actually a column of red LEDs i put in there. I wonder why that would make it seem brighter? hhmm, maybe the white LEDs have a too narrow beam of light and the red ones have a broader beam of light...hhmmm

66 GTO clone, 467 cubic inches of Turbocharged Multiport Fuel Injected fury twisting a TH400 into 3.90's wrapped in a 12 bolt posi.

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

Old 04-21-2010, 03:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Vic, what's weird is the stock lights look brighter than the LEDs in the left photo.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 04-21-2010, 04:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Vic, what's weird is the stock lights look brighter than the LEDs in the left photo.
Agreed. But that may be the angles in the lenses in a picture.

Old 04-21-2010, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Could be brighter because the red lense does not filter out any of the light because it is already red, where the white light is filtered more because of the red lense??

Last edited by 63gpman; 04-21-2010 at 04:28 PM.
Old 04-21-2010, 08:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Im not sure....but im planning on ordering a bunch of the red LEDs which are considerably brighter than the 3 I have there. I also found some stuff at the hardware store that might work out for a clear lens cover...

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

Old 04-23-2010, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

well, v2.0 is under way. I will use red LEDs and more of them. the cool thing is that the red LEDs use alot less voltage so there will be less resistors and it will be easier to wire up.

the white LEDs needed 2 resistors (one for brake/turn and one for tail lights) and that was for just 3 LEDs ran in series. with the red LEDs i will need the same amount of resistors but can double the amount of LEDs to 6 wired in series. Im just hoping they will be bright enough to make it all worth while.

again, once i get it finished and it is a success i will post a detailed wiring diagram.

Cheers

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

Old 04-23-2010, 07:16 PM

i am watching this thread with interest thanks for posting the info.

Old 04-23-2010, 07:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

dang, the red LEDs got here over night. so v2.0 is moving right along.

While at Home Depot looking for plexiglass i found some Lexan (bullet proof glass) So i decided to use that for v2.0 and what a breeze to drill! I test drilled a scrap piece of lexan and drilled it as hard and as fast as i could and couldnt crack it.

SO, IF YOU DO THIS PROJECT USE LEXAN....NOT PLEXIGLASS !!

anyways. here are some pics of the LEDs. they are press fit. Now I need to get the right resistors and solder the rest of it up...

it looks intimidating but i cut, drilled, installed the LEDs, soldered all the LEDs in series and soldered in the ground wire (not in pic) all in an afternoon.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	0423101438a.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	204211   Click image for larger version

Name:	0423101512a.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	204212   Click image for larger version

Name:	0423101437a.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	204213   Click image for larger version

Name:	0423101607a.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	204214  

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

Old 04-23-2010, 08:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Vic, yer gonna blind someone with that contraption. Make us proud! LOL

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 04-24-2010, 11:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

eeeehhhh, v2.0 isnt looking so good either. I dont have the right resistor for the test so im notting getting the correct voltage across the LEDs but im thinking that even with the correct voltage its looking like its not going to be as bright as stock. The red LEDs just are not as bright as the ebay seller claimed...go figure.

so, kind of back of back to square 1. the good thing is that the red LEDs are just press fit SOOOOO, if i decide to pursue, im thinking back to white, brighter ones and cross my fingers that since i have more LEDs that maybe it will work. I also have my eyes on some flat top white LEDs which claim to be brighter and have a wider angle of light. we will see, right now, im going to slap her back together with the stock setup. Im tired of missing cruise ins because i have the tail lights pulled. I ll keep you guys posted.

Cheers

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

Old 05-05-2010, 10:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

YES....i got the new ultra bright flat tops in today. rigged them up on my little circuit bread board and man these suckers a bright....i can barely see what im typing my eyes are still feeling them. so im going to green light these, I have a good feeling about them. i ll post the results once i get them soldered up and installed..

Cheers

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

Old 05-17-2010, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

i just seen some dakota digital led lights for 66 gto on ebay, i noticed they made 3 small light panels instead of one long one to get them to fit the lenses better, you might have got it all figured out tho by now.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Vic, not sure if you've said you're using one or not but you might want to put in an electronic flasher with a ground wire, 3 prong unit instead of 2. I've read that it's a must have with LEDs.

I do know the electronic flasher works much better for my sequential turnsignals, but I'm only using a 2 prong... no LEDs.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 05-23-2010, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
Vic, not sure if you've said you're using one or not but you might want to put in an electronic flasher with a ground wire, 3 prong unit instead of 2. I've read that it's a must have with LEDs.

I do know the electronic flasher works much better for my sequential turnsignals, but I'm only using a 2 prong... no LEDs.
I wont be needing them. v3.0 was more of the same. while they were bright, they simply were not as bright as the stock bulbs. and while i would love the benefits of cooler less power consuming LEDs the bottom line for me is that they have to be safer. and in my opinion they are not. dont worrry, all my time, money and effort didnt go waste. with the help of a 120AC to 12V dc convertor i now have 2 nice, cool, low power consuming shop lights. one is above my work bench and one is above my tool chest.

sorry guys, i feel like i have somewhat failed you.

My T56 Install
My Turbo Build
Hyd Throw out bearing
Misc Build Pics

Old 05-23-2010, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to performerrpm

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6D6GOAT View Post
I wont be needing them. v3.0 was more of the same. while they were bright, they simply were not as bright as the stock bulbs. and while i would love the benefits of cooler less power consuming LEDs the bottom line for me is that they have to be safer. and in my opinion they are not. dont worrry, all my time, money and effort didnt go waste. with the help of a 120AC to 12V dc convertor i now have 2 nice, cool, low power consuming shop lights. one is above my work bench and one is above my tool chest.

sorry guys, i feel like i have somewhat failed you.
nah, probaly saved us all somey or time, in any case us 66 owners are lucky, really dont need led tail lights to look good, there pretty kick azz lookin stock

Old 05-23-2010, 10:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It was a good go, Vic. Nice job and thanks for sharing.

Old 05-24-2010, 09:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah Vic, you did good even if it was a bust. You'll find a way to Gitter Done one of these days.

Now get back to that custom hood scoop you were working on and show us some pictures of the finished product.

Gary
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Old 06-09-2010, 09:33 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

any up dates?