Members Helping Members help Buying a non Pontiac item, transportation help, Handy-man advice, directions, vacation ideas, places to dine, ebay and generally anything you think might help other members.

Old 07-15-2015, 09:17 AM

Default Boat/motor buying advice - 17.5 ft BassTracker w/40 HP Merc

Looking at buying:

Revolution Hull,, Rides Great, Runs Great.. 17 1/2 ft. with a 1998 Mercury/Force 40 hp. with Tilt/Trim, 2 matching Humminbird Fish Finders front/back, 2 new Interstate Batteries, On Board Charger, Huge Live Well with divider, Motor-Guide 43 # thrust Foot Control Trolling Motor, Tons of Storage, Rod Box,, Nice Trailer with Chrome Wheels and New Tires.

Advice needed, this is my first foray into buying a boat. Seller is asking 4k. Pics show a nice boat in seemingly good condition.

Thanks!

Old 07-15-2015, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Force 40 hp aren't the best in the world when it comes to reliability (Force motors in general) I know of several who've had those motors in the year range around the one your looking at and have had issues with them from coils, head gaskets, carbs, etc. I had a force 50hp on my old pontoon, that was a total POS.
All 2 stroke outboard engines can be a POS depending on how they are taken care by their owners.
I wouldn't let it be the first thing to keep me from buying a boat, but it would be a big variable in the selling the price and I would asked a bunch a questions about it.

Old 07-15-2015, 12:51 PM

Rob,
Thanks for the advice, I really appreciate it! We looked at new trackers last weekend. The Targa 18 foot deep V with 150 HP Merc is definitely a nice boat, but $30k is a little too steep for my budget.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I was at the dealer the other day and they had a fishing boat that was used in a photo shoot and never sold. He said 8k would buy it.
http://www.premierboating.com/new_ve...59&pov=4316684

Old 07-20-2015, 07:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've heard Force is what's left of the old Chrysler marine. personally, I would prefer a Mercury, or Evinrude/Johnson.

Old 07-21-2015, 08:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would want more horses.