Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 09-18-2024, 06:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default AGM Winch Battery usage on loading enclosed trailer

Hello everybody,

How many times are people able to load a 28 foot enclosed trailer with single car before having to charge the AGM Winch battery?

3400 pound car pretty straightforward.

Thanks, Craig

Old 09-18-2024, 08:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There's no set amount, all depends on amp draw of the winch, and amperage/condition of the battery. Slope of the ramps and drag of the vehicle being winched. Disc brakes usually pull harder than drum brakes do.

I watch Matts Off Road Recovery channel quite a bit, they have Badlands 12,000 Lb winches on about everything they drive. When they winch most any recovery, they run the engine while winching. If it were me, I would run a hot and ground from the tow vehicle to keep the battery charged constantly.

If you're wondering how many times you can winch a car on a trailer without a charging system hooked up, I would guess 2-3 times before the battery is discharged enough to start overheating cables, battery plates, and electric motors.

When bleeding the air out of any diesel fuel system, I usually crank the starter 15-20 seconds at a time to avoid overheating anything, let it sit for about 60 seconds before resuming. I would equate running a starter on a diesel to running a winch motor consistently. YMMV........

There are way too many variables to give an absolute answer.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated