WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 10-13-2008, 04:31 PM

Default Brand new here....

I've seen them around and I know the rep of the GTO, I'm looking at buying one. I know, you get these all the time right. Found an 04 w/27K mi. on it for 19K tax/tag/title out the door. I'll be 3.5K upside down on trade in so add that. I already have a high performance car so I understand the looks and people revving just to see what you can do. So here goes... 1. is it woth it? and B. If you could buy your first one all over again would you?
Old 10-13-2008, 08:57 PM

Hi Mike,
19k sounds high for an 04. But to answer your question I'd buy another one if I had to do it again. These little cars are just so much fun to drive!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

19k OTD sounds about right if it's the car you want. You'll see/hear about better deals but you never hear/see ALL the details. If the car checks out fine, along with the low mileage, actual selling price is probably around 17,500, which is about right.

I have an '04 that's been with me for over four years now, and an '06 that I've had about fifteen months. So obviously, I would do it over again. And for the record, I think the LS1 sounds better than the LS2 in stock form. And I prefer the traditional throttle over the electronic wireless throttle.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:51 PM

Thanks fer the tidbits of info. I'll call the bank in the morning. I might just end up on these forums before too long.
Old 10-13-2008, 10:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

In a heartbeat, 19 seems high unless its showroom.
Old 10-15-2008, 03:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The only regret I've ever had is when I tried the first time to get the front end fixed under warranty and the jerked me around as if I was a lady off the street. I switched to another dealer and got the problem resolved and I am truely satisfied with the car now. Plus I got an extended warranty on the front end from Pontiac to compensate me for all the crap I put up with from the original dealer. I'd do it again in a minute, great car and has good quality. I have seen 04s around here at used car lots for around 13,000 but as was mentioned the mileage was higher than 27,000 ,more like 60,000 if that is any help to you.
1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 10-15-2008, 08:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Mike,

Before you pull the trigger on one, check out what the cars are really SELLING for. Ebay is a good indicator. Fact is, 19k will buy a nice 06 all day long around here. $19k for an 04 is nuts in this market. You will hear reasoning to the contrary from owners here who just can't admit the value of these cars are sinking by the minute, but it is a fact. It's a used car that gets "lousy" mileage (compared to a Prius)... It's a buyers market. Do your homework.

Is it a good car? Yes. Would I buy it again? ...Not after owning the Corvette I wouldn't.
Old 10-15-2008, 08:45 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by 455HOGT37 View Post
Mike,

Before you pull the trigger on one, check out what the cars are really SELLING for. Ebay is a good indicator. Fact is, 19k will buy a nice 06 all day long around here. $19k for an 04 is nuts in this market. You will hear reasoning to the contrary from owners here who just can't admit the value of these cars are sinking by the minute, but it is a fact. It's a used car that gets "lousy" mileage (compared to a Prius)... It's a buyers market. Do your homework.

Is it a good car? Yes. Would I buy it again? ...Not after owning the Corvette I wouldn't.
BULL SH*T!
06 GTO M6 18's red/red - 1 OF 188.
09.5 G8 GT Stryker blue met. premium with sport pkg.
Old 10-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Mike,

Congrats on the Corvette, very nice car. Now, it's this same rationale and misstatements that caused the car to sell poorly during its three year run. Granted, he could POSSIBLY find an '06 for 19k somewhere in the country, but I have yet to see one for that around here.

And personally, I could give a flip what the resale on them are as I don't plan on selling either of mine. In fact, if I run across any deals like those you seem to find, I might just buy a third one. One thing I have noticed here is that there are probably four to five times as many used Corvettes available as there are GTOs. Their values are sinking as well.
Old 10-16-2008, 12:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

corvette: (Kor - 'vet) ,noun - plastic imitation of an automobile.

Hardly a fair comparison to a GTO though, apples and oranges, power to weight ratio, cost to buy, number of passenger seating, suspension technology. That's kinda like comparing a Lamboghini Countach to a corvette. I guess I'd take the Lamborghini.

When I worked for a chevy dealership in the service department, they were known as "squeak, rattle and leak". I haven't driven any of the newer ones, hopefully they have improved their QC. It would have been hard to make them any worse than they were in the mid 70s.
1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 10-16-2008 at 01:10 AM.
Old 10-16-2008, 09:27 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My response was not to start a debate on the merits of either car; clearly, the Corvette is in another price (and performance) strata. What it is pointing out is that all "gas hogs" including Holden GTO's, Corvettes, Suburbans, etc, are very good bargains right now. My advice to our new member and prospective buyer is to RECOGNIZE THIS FACT... and use it to his advantage. I don't know about the market everywhere, but around So.Cal, the sales of GTO's are very soft. Lots of inventory. Further, it is my assumption based on Ebay SALES (not asking price... sales) that this is true everywhere as well. All of you holding on to yours are somewhat insulated from reality and that is understandable... Just try selling one today (as I did) and I promise you will get an education in supply and demand very quickly. However, if you do intend to keep it, then who cares that the value is going into the toilet? As long as you're happy, that's the important part.

Again, Mike... DO YOUR HOMEWORK!
Old 10-16-2008, 09:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pont3 View Post
...In fact, if I run across any deals like those you seem to find, I might just buy a third one...
Mine was on ebay with no reserve... where were you then?
Old 10-16-2008, 09:48 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Talking

Quote:
Mine was on ebay with no reserve... where were you then?
I was out buying my own Vette!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

LOL! OK... You got me on that one