WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 12-06-2008, 10:57 PM

Default Parts and Service Availability on new GTOs

Anybody out there know about parts and service availability on the 06 GTO after warranty runs out?

I use to work for an automotive Warehouse Distributor, and could get about anything I wanted, but I've heard some of the later Cadillacs must use dealer parts (and their accompanying HUGE cost)

I have a 67 and found a 12,000 mile 06 for 22K that the dealer is offering to certify (for whatever that may mean right now), but it would have to be a "driver".

I don't want to have a drive line that costs the national budget deficit to keep running.

Chief
Old 12-07-2008, 09:40 PM
Senior Chief

The parts for these cars are costly. Many parts can be found at distribution centers, and others depending on exactly what parts you are needing, may have to come from down under. I was in formed by my dealer a while back that if your car needed parts (while under warranty) and those parts were not readily available, GM authorized after market parts be installed. Being your question centers around after warranty, it would depend on what parts you need and if they are in stock whether you'd have to wait for parts from Oz.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JUDGE View Post
The parts for these cars are costly. Many parts can be found at distribution centers, and others depending on exactly what parts you are needing, may have to come from down under. I was in formed by my dealer a while back that if your car needed parts (while under warranty) and those parts were not readily available, GM authorized after market parts be installed. Being your question centers around after warranty, it would depend on what parts you need and if they are in stock whether you'd have to wait for parts from Oz.
Not entirely true. Most of the car is standard GM. Less the suspension and steering that would be the only areas where you may have to wait a few days for parts. The aftermarket has a very good selection of replacement and performance parts availlible.
If you buy a new GTO you will find it's one of if not the best GM car out there. You will not have to worrry about it breaking. I take mine to the track every change I get and run the snot out of it and haven't hurt a thing. You may want to check out LS2GTO.COM lots of new GTO info at that site. Rob.
06 GTO M6 18's red/red - 1 OF 188.
09.5 G8 GT Stryker blue met. premium with sport pkg.
Old 12-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by goatnut View Post
Not entirely true. Most of the car is standard GM. Less the suspension and steering that would be the only areas where you may have to wait a few days for parts. The aftermarket has a very good selection of replacement and performance parts availlible.
If you buy a new GTO you will find it's one of if not the best GM car out there. You will not have to worrry about it breaking. I take mine to the track every change I get and run the snot out of it and haven't hurt a thing. You may want to check out LS2GTO.COM lots of new GTO info at that site. Rob.
That's contrary to what many have reported over the years. Suspension parts at times are difficult to obtain. One example that happened this past spring. My dealer had an 05 GTO in the shop for failed struts or something to that affect. The struts were to be replaced under warranty. The parts could not be obtained, an at least 30 day wait was in order. GM authorized Peddars be installed, GM authorized aftermarket parts be installed on these cars where parts are difficult to obtain. Personally for me, I have NOT had to wait for parts. Others have. You are correct many parts are obtainable, depends on what parts are needed. I am having rear springs installed because of rear end sag, my service writer was surprised he was able to get the springs, and it only took a few days. Some have reported having to wait for them. If the parts are not in the distribution centers it can hold up the repairs. Especially parts that have to come from Oz.

The new GTO's DO have some issues people should be made aware of ESPECIALLY buying used. I recommend everyone get a GMVIS before purchasing one, particularly on cars that were modded out or tuned. Some people who have purchased used GTO's found their car was tuned and it was locked cannot be unlocked because its pass worded.

Here are a few repeated issues many have reported;

Door Actuators
BCM's
Rear Spring weakening that causes excessive inside wear on tires
Suspension issues
Rear End whine (Dana part where the entire rear is changed out)
Rear end growling, or grinding
Stitching on rear seats breaking apart
Excessive oil consumption
Old 01-19-2009, 01:58 PM

working in gm parts, i have seen both of these to be correct. right now some parts are hard to get while others 1-2 days away. it will really depend on what breaks. my 04 has 64,000 on it will very little extra maintence done. (steering rack leaked)
other than that, very relieable
Gas
Tires
Oil
Old 02-06-2009, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by IOWA552SLOW View Post
working in gm parts, i have seen both of these to be correct. right now some parts are hard to get while others 1-2 days away. it will really depend on what breaks. my 04 has 64,000 on it will very little extra maintence done. (steering rack leaked)
other than that, very relieable
Gas
Tires
Oil
Good to know, I just bought an 09 G8 GT. I read one or two horror stories about waiting for parts but they seem to be few and far in between.
Old 03-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone know if other GM dealerships (non-Pontiac) do covered warranty work on Holden GM's? My local Pontiac dealer looks like they are struggling to stay open.
Old 03-23-2009, 01:40 PM
Senior Chief

Yes any GM dealer can do the warranty work this is suppost to be emergency repairs but they can do it. It just depends on the dealer. Our local Pontiac dealer would only do warranty work on the cars that they sold. They are now out of business so my GTO will go to the chevy dealer if needed. Car is three years old now and have not needed any warranty repairs.
06 GTO M6 18's red/red - 1 OF 188.
09.5 G8 GT Stryker blue met. premium with sport pkg.