Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 07-13-2008, 11:19 PM

Default Header recommendation for 1963 Catalina?

My 1963 Catalina has a mild 455 with Type 66 (YC code) heads and a column shifted 700R4 automatic. Via a Summit receipt, that the previous owner provided, I beleive that the current headers on this engine are Hedman # 28140 (three pipes?). It is way past time to get these headers replaced but I suspect that they were'nt the best choice for this application (i.e. the previous owner or installer beat the crap out of the header pipe that goes by the steering box - it's all dented in). I want to avoid that installation problem with whatever headers I buy to replace these.

Can anybody make a good header recommendation for my big old 63 Cat with a 455 auto (all stock steering and front suspension)? I do want to get cermaic coated headers this time. And please also include any header bolt and gasket recommendations also.

Thanks for the always valued input!