Old 03-15-2024, 03:06 PM

Default Points distributor question (400)

Hello,

My dad passed down his F250 truck from 1970 that just happens to have a pontiac 400 in it. He did not put it in there and believes it's out of a 68 firebird.

I'm having trouble getting the thing to start. Checked that it's getting plenty of gas from the 4 bbl carb, and I've tested the old coil (seemed to be good), but replaced it for good measure and still can't get the engine to come to life.

What I want to do next is try and identify what year/model distributor I have on there so that I can troubleshoot it a little better.

Can anyone help identify?

Here's pictures of the distributor:
Click image for larger version

Name:	side1.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	630414

Name:	side2.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	630415

Name:	top.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	630416

Old 03-15-2024, 04:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There is a number on the side of the distributor just below where the cap sits. Give us the number. The are only 2 types of ignition points from 1957-1974. The first is separate point and condenser and the other is a point and condenser in one piece. They are interchangeable.

The Following User Says Thank You to Goatracer1 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansimpson View Post
Hello,

My dad passed down his F250 truck from 1970 that just happens to have a pontiac 400 in it. He did not put it in there and believes it's out of a 68 firebird.

I'm having trouble getting the thing to start. Checked that it's getting plenty of gas from the 4 bbl carb, and I've tested the old coil (seemed to be good), but replaced it for good measure and still can't get the engine to come to life.

What I want to do next is try and identify what year/model distributor I have on there so that I can troubleshoot it a little better.

Can anyone help identify?

Here's pictures of the distributor:
Attachment 630414

Attachment 630415

Attachment 630416

You can probably just make the assumption that it's the original 1968 distributor. You have a uniset points in there currently (no pun intended) and they simply might just be shot from sitting...You can put in a separate points and condenser, but then you'll have to hunt up one of those short screws. for the condenser bracket.

The Following User Says Thank You to 65 Lamnas For This Useful Post:
Old 03-15-2024, 05:35 PM
Senior Chief

Did you try the old spark plug wire screw driver test? If not, simply remove one of the plug wires from the spark plug, stick a screw driver in the plug boot, and hold the metal portion of the screw driver close to, but not touching the block. Have someone crank the engine and see if you get spark from the screw driver to the block. If so, the ignition is working at least on that wire. I would do that test on several other spark plug wires to determine that the wires are not the problem.

Also, when was the last time this was started?

The Following User Says Thank You to 64-3Deuces For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2024, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64-3Deuces View Post
Did you try the old spark plug wire screw driver test? If not, simply remove one of the plug wires from the spark plug, stick a screw driver in the plug boot, and hold the metal portion of the screw driver close to, but not touching the block. Have someone crank the engine and see if you get spark from the screw driver to the block. If so, the ignition is working at least on that wire. I would do that test on several other spark plug wires to determine that the wires are not the problem.

Also, when was the last time this was started?
Yea I did try that and did not see a spark. Did a similar test with the coil and I was able to see the spark.

It’s been close to a year since it was started.

Old 03-16-2024, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65 Lamnas View Post
You can probably just make the assumption that it's the original 1968 distributor. You have a uniset points in there currently (no pun intended) and they simply might just be shot from sitting...You can put in a separate points and condenser, but then you'll have to hunt up one of those short screws. for the condenser bracket.
Is it doable to replace the parts with the distributor in the block? The flywheel(?) thing on top seems pressed on and in the way, so I’m guessing most folks take out the distributor and do it on the work bench?

Old 03-16-2024, 02:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've done the points replacement on the car back in the day, but the flyweights make it more difficult. The nice thing abut the GM design is that the point gap (dwell) can be adjusted easily with an external allen wrench.

George

Old 03-16-2024, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Also make sure you have your plug wires going the right way. Pontiac distributors run counter clockwise

Old 03-17-2024, 12:36 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

No need to pull the distributor. Observe that points open and close when cranking. Clean the points with a points file. Observe that points spark when opening while cranking with ignition on; if not, either the condenser or coil primary circuit is at fault.

The Following User Says Thank You to Jack Gifford For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 06:57 PM

Ok thanks for the help guys. Noticed that I could not see the spark, so I pulled the distributor and we tested the condenser(capacitor?) and confirmed it was discharging immediately. I ordered an AC Delco points assembly and will install it this next weekend to see if that does the trick!

Old 03-18-2024, 07:01 PM

Oh also I cleaned off the filth and can see the p/n is 1111946 8L6 for those curious.

Old 03-18-2024, 07:03 PM

What's a recommended place online to buy points for this old distributor, while I'm at it?

Thanks!

Old 03-19-2024, 12:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

points should be available at ANY automotive parts vendor;
I am not sure about Ford or Dodge points, but all pre-175 GM V8's used the same style points.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 03-20-2024, 02:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seansimpson View Post
What's a recommended place online to buy points for this old distributor, while I'm at it?

Thanks!
I’ve heard for local parts stores, NAPA Echlin is hard to beat. I think Echlin CS86 would work for ya. They have other sets that are “high performance” or “heavy duty” if you plan on revving high.

Accel points are also reportedly good. P/n 110128 available from summit.