67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 05-15-2000, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 69 RAIII WQ block that needs a complete rebuild. It is in parts and is missing one of the mains, #3 I believe. Will a #3 main out of a regular 69 WT 400 do in its place? Thanks in advance- Steve

[This message has been edited by steveK (edited 05-16-2000).]

Old 05-15-2000, 01:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a 69 RAIII WQ block that needs a complete rebuild. It is in parts and is missing one of the mains, #3 I believe. Will a #3 main out of a regular 69 WT 400 do in its place? Thanks in advance- Steve

[This message has been edited by steveK (edited 05-16-2000).]

Old 05-16-2000, 12:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

If yours is truly a RAIII block, the answer is no. They are 4 bolt mains whereas the other 400's are two bolt mains. I don't have my book handy to confirm that engine code as a RAIII.

------------------
Jim

Old 05-16-2000, 07:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the info OMT. Yes, it is a true 69 WQ RAIII block but the RAIII's were 4 bolts mains but only 2 bolts were used as opposed to the RAIV's which were used all four bolts per main. Is this correct? Thanks again. -S

Old 05-16-2000, 11:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

SteveK, You are correct about WQ & for that matter other '69 RAIII blocks getting 2 bolt mains. You will need to take block to a competant machine shop which can fit a cap (need as many #3's as possible to choose from) & alignbore & hone the bearing saddles. It is possible, if you are real lucky, to find a cap which would allow you to only align hone. With your NYC address, maybe it's time to experience Nunzi. Speaking to him over the phone has been a RIOT! I am sure he has seen more than enough severely cracked blocks, to have a good selection of 3" used caps. As an alternative, with align boring/honing needed to remedy the problem, you could have installed aftermarket 4-bolt caps, bet he has them in stock...

Old 05-16-2000, 09:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I stand corrected. I am surprised that all of the RA engines were not 4 bolt mains. I have a '68 XS block that is a 4 bolt. Since you only have the 2 bolt version, I would just take a replacement 2 bolt cap and get it line bored. Unless you are going to run over 6000 RPM, you don't need the 4 bolt mains. I regularly went to 6000 and a little over on my 2 bolt 400 with no problems. It ran 12.20 at 114+. It would be wise to have the engine balanced while it is apart.

------------------
Jim

Old 05-18-2000, 07:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks for the responses guys. After checking all caps it turns out I am missing 2 main center caps 2 and 3. They are 4 bolt holes in the cap and block is drilled but not tapped. 1 main I have does not match the other and is 2 bolt so it must be from a stock 400. In regards to the engine build, I was think I am going to have Paul Spotts do the motor for me and will have it lined bored anyway. The motor is out of a 69 TA which I hope to have completed a full resto by next spring. Body is done engine is next. Thanks for the help again, -S.

Old 05-18-2000, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Steve, if you will pay for shiping, I will give you some main caps.

Old 05-19-2000, 07:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ken, sure I'll cover shipping on that offer. If they are for RAIII, I will take them. Thanks again, Steve