WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2008-09 G8 owners > G8 General Tech/Discussion

G8 General Tech/Discussion G8 general tech and discussion area.

Old 10-06-2013, 06:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Ran my GXP at Pontiac Uprising this weekend

Decided to take the G8 down to Wichita over the weekend, got a lot of runs in, first time running this car.

Lost about every race/round but had a good time, kept on lowering my number, kept on breaking out, I have a LOT to learn about bracket racing.

Car ran anywhere from a high of 13.41 to a low of 13.22
Old 10-09-2013, 07:51 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Is your GXP all stock or have a 'tune' in it?

That is some good ET's I think.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 10-09-2013, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

They are fast cars, I've run against them at Maple Grove & Norwalk.
And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
Old 10-09-2013, 09:06 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

It's dead stock John, only has 11,000 miles on it, and I weigh a bit over 300# (yeah I know, I'm a fat ass). The car weighs just over 4000 W/O me, so I would guess that between me, fuel, car I was over 4400#

I think even with me the car could get VERY close to a 12.99 Also, all of my runs that day were with traction control on, so I think there may be a bit left there.

I have drag raced before, but it was 30 years ago and it was bikes, and it was all heads up racing, several of those rounds I could have won if I would have remembered to look over in the other lane.

Some of them I was way ahead and easily could have slowed and still crossed the line first.

I think the car is very consistent, I am the weak link, as most of my day was spent just trying to stage where I could get the best RT.

I started off with a .4553 and progressed down to an .0072 then I red lite, and came back with a final run of .0039

So basically it took me all day JUST to get comfortable staging and figuring out where to leave on the lite in relation to how deep or shallow I staged.

One other note, it is a lot different trying to "bump" a car into the lite than walking a bike in. lol

But I'm learning!

Stan

Last edited by Transporter; 10-09-2013 at 09:14 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Transporter For This Useful Post:
Old 10-09-2013, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Those are very believable times, I had our 09 GT out to our local track 1 time for test and tune, stock G8GT (but a light weight car with Cloth Interior and no Sunroof 4085lbs with my 215lbs in the seat) Made 3 runs on the stock tires, 1st run was 14.14 with a lot of wheel spin, 2nd run was 13.76 with some wheel spin, and the last run was 13.56.
Your car should be at least 2 to 3 tenths faster than mine and I think I could have gotten to 13.4 with some more practice.

Glad you got to have fun with it.
78 Catlina Safari, Pontiac 400 powered
77 Astre Formula, 215 Buick V-8 T-5
73 Lemans Safari, 400 4bbl 4-speed
71 Catalina Enforcer, 455 4bbl
06 Mallet Solstice #024 LS2, Now with a Tremec 6060 6-speed!
2012 F-150 Echo Boost (My local Ford Dealer SUX!!!)
2020 Dodge Charger Scat pack (recovered)
Old 10-09-2013, 07:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by camerjeff View Post
Those are very believable times, I had our 09 GT out to our local track 1 time for test and tune, stock G8GT (but a light weight car with Cloth Interior and no Sunroof 4085lbs with my 215lbs in the seat) Made 3 runs on the stock tires, 1st run was 14.14 with a lot of wheel spin, 2nd run was 13.76 with some wheel spin, and the last run was 13.56.
Your car should be at least 2 to 3 tenths faster than mine and I think I could have gotten to 13.4 with some more practice.

Glad you got to have fun with it.

I know that this is going to sound like blasphemy on the main board, but I can see why someone would want to put this drivetrain in say an early tempest.

At 3000# I would imagine that you would be in low 12's easily, all the while getting 25MPG and good road manners.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Late Model Moderator

nice runs, what were your 60ft times???
Old 10-14-2013, 12:36 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by thechef View Post
nice runs, what were your 60ft times???
I think my best was a 1.97 my worst was a 2.01
Old 10-16-2013, 09:03 AM

You were cutting those 60' times on stock tires? My best has only been 2.1 in my GT.

Satin black 1999 Trans Am: LT's, ORY, SLP LM1, Lid, Ruff 278's, more audio.. Sold
Old 10-16-2013, 10:05 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Bandit View Post
You were cutting those 60' times on stock tires? My best has only been 2.1 in my GT.
Yeah, dead stock, all season radials, I did lower my tire pressure to 29# the sidewalls are so short that I don't think going any lower would help much, besides, under 28# and my tire pressure sensor starts going off, lol

Also, I was only running 89 octane fuel as that is all we have up here, so I'm sure that between knock and tq management there is still a bit left on the table.

But you would have to walk it out of the lites as it lites the tires up w/o traction control VERY easy.
Old 10-17-2013, 09:07 AM

I have SS wheels so that probably didnt help me. I was cutting the same with 38psi as I was 28psi.

I thought GXP's were recommended for premium?

Any idea on the DA for that day?

Also, do you have a HRSK? I picked up .15 seconds in the 1/8 with it since the IAT's were reading around 80* and not 180*

Satin black 1999 Trans Am: LT's, ORY, SLP LM1, Lid, Ruff 278's, more audio.. Sold
Old 10-17-2013, 10:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
I have SS wheels so that probably didnt help me. I was cutting the same with 38psi as I was 28psi.

I thought GXP's were recommended for premium?

Any idea on the DA for that day?

Also, do you have a HRSK? I picked up .15 seconds in the 1/8 with it since the IAT's were reading around 80* and not 180*

Not sure on the DA, they announced it but I don't remember for some reason 1400 sticks in my head?

HRSK? educate me please. They are recommended for premium, if you run less than premium it just knocks the power down, probably thru timing, car only has 10,000 on it, usually sits in the garage.

Thanks Stan
Old 10-18-2013, 11:17 AM

HRSK, Heat Soak Reduction Kit.

Basically, the IAT (Intake Air Temp Sensor) is placed in the MAF which rests right over the radiator hose. This allows the sensor to pick up higher than ambient air temps which retards timing causing a loss of power. This kit bypasses the MAF's IAT sensor and relocates it to your choosing. I have mine run to my Rotofab box to get a more precise reading. If you are good with making a harness, it can be made for about $30 including the sensor. Its just making a new connector. You can buy a premade one for about $75 without a sensor (or with I'm unsure)

Old 10-18-2013, 12:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
HRSK, Heat Soak Reduction Kit.

Basically, the IAT (Intake Air Temp Sensor) is placed in the MAF which rests right over the radiator hose. This allows the sensor to pick up higher than ambient air temps which retards timing causing a loss of power. This kit bypasses the MAF's IAT sensor and relocates it to your choosing. I have mine run to my Rotofab box to get a more precise reading. If you are good with making a harness, it can be made for about $30 including the sensor. Its just making a new connector. You can buy a premade one for about $75 without a sensor (or with I'm unsure)

OK, gotcha, for now I think it will just remain stock, I have my hands full with modified cars already, lol

If I do anything it would probably just be a mild tune, I would like the tranny to shift a bit better, but otherwise, I pretty happy with the car as is.

Thanks Stan
Old 10-18-2013, 03:19 PM

Oh this is a simple mod that can be removed just as if you were unplugging your MAF. You don't need a tune either. I just did it to see what it would do at the track and was pleasantly surprised at the results.