Old 10-05-2013, 10:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default any I nterest in a Freedom Batt Mock Up

Im in the Process in making the two plastic caps for a Freedom battery complete with the green eye, recently some Deals are going around and they are incorrect, and you don't get the two top caps, you have to paint the case white and tho top of the battery Blue, I have a friend that runs a CNC dept and he is willing to make them. I found some green plexi for the eyes, and I have an Orig Freedom II battery wit all the decals for that battery, were not sure what year the Freedom II started, any info would be great, PY can sell these, if they want, pm me, not sure what GM would want for this, any interest here in mocking up you sec gen cars that have had the freedom batt in it. if there is too muck red tape, Ill just make 4-5 sets for myself and my buddys that have TA's on my site.

Old 10-05-2013, 12:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sounds interesting to ME.....I'm thinking they first came out in 77?....but will check some info & confirm......78 FOR SURE...My 78 & 80 BOTH came with them new...

Eye Candy......garage band?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QUPcHxHRx3s

Go full screen & turn it UP!
Old 10-05-2013, 02:18 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I'd be interested. Are you talking about the case/top and caps?

Old 10-06-2013, 09:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes the top caps to look like the real thing. I have a freedom II, and I have a friend that's thinking about selling me one of the empty display freedoms I can use to scan the correct decal. The ones going around was made off of one of the freedom batt radios, it didn't say test indicator by the eye. I have to find the correct color blue too. The batt was white. I'll keep you guys up to date here. There will be a on going thread on my site also.

Old 10-06-2013, 09:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What you would do is buy a flat top battery, paint the case white and the top blue. Then buy my caps and decals, double side tape them on.

Old 10-12-2013, 12:23 PM

Default decals...

....for any of our Canadian optioned Z49 cars, I have the original battery from my '79 Corvette with the French decals on it.

Old 10-16-2013, 07:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On my car I had decals made encased in clear plastic that look like the
top of a freedom battery. I silicone them onto the battery, then when the battery wears out,
I peel them off, peel off the silicone and silicone them onto the new battery. I just use
a black flat top battery and the end result looks really great.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0669a.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	340007  

Old 10-24-2013, 10:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a set of decals that's going around on eBay now, but they are wrong, but I can use them to make correct decals, the caps should be in the CNC soon, my site site is getting a tour of the GM heritage center and they have some freedom batteries there, I'm hoping I can get some pics of them for the project.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post
top of a freedom battery. I silicone them onto the battery, then when the battery wears out,
I peel them off, peel off the silicone and silicone them onto the new battery. I just use
Very cool, can you post a pic of the battery.

Old 10-24-2013, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtohurstjudge View Post

Where did you get the orig decals for this, I'm starting to see diff types of the freedom decals, I never seen this exact set.

Old 10-25-2013, 10:01 AM

Yup! Very interested. I worked pretty hard to make 79 door decals that were correct and shared them here, and these battery decals would be another awesome addition!

Old 10-30-2013, 09:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got in to the GMHeritage center, and they have some freedom batteries there, my site is getting a private tour in Nov or dec, so maybe he can dig out a few batteries for us to see. If anyone is in the Detroit area pm me if your interested in a tour.

Old 10-31-2013, 10:29 PM
Senior Chief

Also like this idea,keeping a eye on this thread.

Old 11-15-2013, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The decals are done, if you would like just a set of the Decals pm me. They go for $20 for the 3 pcs. The caps are going to be a bit longer, I still haven't had my battery measured by my buddy that runs the CNC shop. Prob about Jan on the caps. The first run will have green plexi for the eye, after I run out, I only have a foot long PC will be clear with a green PC of vinyl under. I need to get on the paint colors now.

Old 11-15-2013, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd be interested in decals and the battery if they look like what was used in 73. If you have some pics I could use for comparison that would help.

Old 11-17-2013, 09:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I thought the freedom batt was in the 76 on up?
Not sure about the 73. I'm trying to get a timeline on them but there isn't much to go on.

Old 11-17-2013, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
I thought the freedom batt was in the 76 on up?
Not sure about the 73. I'm trying to get a timeline on them but there isn't much to go on.
Yeah. It's not easy getting info on these dogs. I have this little diagram of one. It may be the Freedom II that started in '76, but I'm not sure. The maintenance free were availbe in '73 and I think that's the first year for them.

If you want to PM me your email I'll send you some files I've collected on the batteries. I think what I have applies to more the later years batteries you're working on.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	73 Battery.jpg
Views:	463
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	343408  

Old 11-18-2013, 02:43 PM

Hello all. I am the guy making the decals. As Burd said, the originals I had made were not totally correct. I got them from a friend on another forum and thought they would be cool for a mock up for display. I have since had scans made of an actual Freedom II battery and had these made from the scans. If anyone has a good photo of an actual Freedom battery, Post it up. I would like to make the Freedom decals 100% correct like the Freedom II's.

These are what I have at the moment. They are 20 bucks for a set of three if anyone is interested. PM me for payment info. Thanks.

Old 11-18-2013, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Awesome, ill pm you. I don't post much here but Norwood knows me just in case your wondering where this Burd guy came from, lol. The newest batch of decals have the wrong radius on them, they are getting re done again, I'll post pis of them later today when I get home. I'm buying the decals off one of my members since they are excellent quality, the freedom II that I have has a large decal on the front of the case, and those will be avail too. I may have to get the correct color of blue mixed up for the caps, but then we have the problem of who ever buys the caps will have to match that to do their batt top. Hmmmm

Old 11-20-2013, 12:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Heres the two diff decals, im not sure on the top post yet,