Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-16-2020, 11:57 PM

Default Intake gasket sealant

I'm using Fel Pro MS9980 intake gaskets ('71 455) with a Edelrbock Performer intake. I've read so many conflicting opinions on the forum about what sealant to use with the gaskets, or none at all. These gaskets do come with the small blue seal around the holes.

Most threads advise against using an RTV sealant around fuel/coolant. I've always used Permatex Ultra Black to thinly coat gaskets. If this is not advised I will change to something else.

Old 11-17-2020, 12:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have switched to Hylomar,easy to clean.Not EZ to find these days.Think it's called ultra blue.I bought it on eBay.Tom

Old 11-17-2020, 12:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Location: 31May2013 Temporary home to the world's widest (that we know of) tornado. Lord, NO more Please...

Tom, ultra blue is RTV silicone, as far as I know.

.Hylomar has only been packaged as its name only, for a long time.

Vetteman that gasket set is coated with Teflon, no sealer is needed. IF and only if there is corrosion on the head or intake, it may be a good thing to use a small amount of sealer there.
The blue Teflon coating is designed to fill in any surface imperfections when torched down. It obviously can’t do that when you are trying to seal one or both sides on an intake swap with corrosion. If you’ve ever disassembled an engine and noticed the metal surface need the gasket has a blue color to, that’s the leftover Teflon from a Felpro gasket.

I used to sell Felpro gaskets.

Shut it off
Shut it off
Buddy, I just shut your Prius down...
Old 11-17-2020, 12:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Your right.Its called universal blue.Tom

Old 11-17-2020, 12:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use Permatex # 2 around the water passages and a little Permatex Aviation around the intake runners, neither harden.

Old 11-17-2020, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont use any. No problems here

Old 11-17-2020, 11:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I use a little smear around the intake water crossover and a touch on the rubber donut
that mates to the timing cover pass through.. Nothing anywhere else..

Old 11-17-2020, 11:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

2X Greg.Tom

Old 11-17-2020, 11:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

3x Greg plus I use 2 dabs on the ends of the intake gasket just to hold it in place for my port match.

Crossover is separated.

Old 11-17-2020, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by firechicken View Post
3x Greg plus I use 2 dabs on the ends of the intake gasket just to hold it in place for my port match.
Similarly, I hear that some people also use a small bit of rubber cement to hold gaskets in place during assembly.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 11-17-2020, 05:02 PM

Thanks guys. Greg, when you say a little smear, are you referring to Permatex Ultra Black or to something else? Also, when you refer to some on the donuts gasket for the timing cover, do you mean actually on the donut itself, or just around the edges of where it sits?

Also, when torqueing down the manifold, do you tighten the timing cover part first all the way, or do you torque the manifold down a little bit, then then timing cover all the way, then finish the intake.... or in what order do you tighten those two things?

thanks,

Old 11-17-2020, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

As has been posted, I use a very light smear of RTV on the ends of the intake gasket to seal the water passages, top and bottom of the gasket. I've never had one leak. On the pre-'65 engines, both ends of the manifold sit over water passages.

'64 GTO Tripower Hardtop (Wife's Car)
'64 GTO Tripower Post Coupe (My Car)
'99 Bonneville SE Sedan
Old 11-17-2020, 05:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetteman61 View Post
Thanks guys. Greg, when you say a little smear, are you referring to Permatex Ultra Black or to something else? Also, when you refer to some on the donuts gasket for the timing cover, do you mean actually on the donut itself, or just around the edges of where it sits?

Also, when torqueing down the manifold, do you tighten the timing cover part first all the way, or do you torque the manifold down a little bit, then then timing cover all the way, then finish the intake.... or in what order do you tighten those two things?

thanks,
Also wondering what order to torque timing cover and intake to seal timing cover donut properly

Old 11-17-2020, 05:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Install and torque the six timing cover to block bolts first. Then install the intake manifold with all the bolts finger tight only! Then the long draw bolt from timing cover to intake and torque it. Finally, torque the intake manifold bolts.

Old 11-17-2020, 05:52 PM

Thank you !

Old 11-17-2020, 06:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgarblik View Post
Install and torque the six timing cover to block bolts first. Then install the intake manifold with all the bolts finger tight only! Then the long draw bolt from timing cover to intake and torque it. Finally, torque the intake manifold bolts.
Been doing it this way for over 40 years with a dab of sealant on the rubber O ring and nowhere else. Always use anti-seize on the long bolt and snug it first. Never any leaks. Even on engines that have been together for decades.

Old 11-17-2020, 09:52 PM

Thanks guys, all very good to know.

Just to be sure, antiseize is OK to use on all the intake bolts, right?

Old 11-17-2020, 10:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've never used any sealant on the intake portion of the gaskets, but have always used a thin coat of sealant (both sides) around the water crossover. I've always used ARP intake bolts with no anti seize with no issues. Putting a light coat ! is not an issue. not gonna hurt, especially on iron heads.

Charles

Old 11-17-2020, 10:22 PM

Thanks!

Old 11-18-2020, 08:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Yes, those guys answered the questions just as I would. I don't have a specific sealant that I swear by but normally it's Permatex Black, Grey or Blue. In other words, if I have some black on hand I'm not going to make special trip to get grey or vice versa. I do trust the Permatex brands.