Old 12-23-2020, 11:15 PM

Default 71 455 with HEI

I converted my '71 455 to HEI several years ago. I'm reordering plug wires and I can't remember which ones to get. It's a stock driver. Should I order plug wires from a car that came with stock HEI, or will the stock wires for a car with points work?

Thanks,

Old 12-23-2020, 11:32 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

You can use a HEI wire set from any 350-455, 75 or newer Pontiac passenger car.

Old 12-23-2020, 11:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The biggie is that HEI distributor caps have male terminals and the stock points type cap has female terminals -- so totally different wire sets.

Old 12-24-2020, 04:10 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Order a set for a 1975 Trans Am with 455 and HEI

They will be close enough to the correct length AND have the correct distributor-end terminals.

Like the picture below:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HEI wires.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	556782  

Old 12-24-2020, 06:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Don't get fooled into fancy wires sets the say there greatly better and superior do to there low resistance!

The fact is that the resistance of the plugs air gap is hundreds of times greater then the resistance of what even a 40 ft long plug wire would be, and this is without even factoring in the added resistance of the dence charge of fuel and air before the start of the power stroke that the spark has to burn its way through!

Look for wires that have the best insulation properties and ends on them that grip and fit tight over the plug and distributior towers if your inclined to pay for better then stock replacement wires.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 12-24-2020, 09:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by lust4speed View Post
The biggie is that HEI distributor caps have male terminals and the stock points type cap has female terminals -- so totally different wire sets.

I never thought of cap wires that way.

Old 12-24-2020, 02:44 PM

Thanks guys, appreciate the information.

Old 12-24-2020, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ACDELCO 608V is all you need.

Old 12-24-2020, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve25 View Post
Don't get fooled into fancy wires sets the say there greatly better and superior do to there low resistance!

The fact is that the resistance of the plugs air gap is hundreds of times greater then the resistance of what even a 40 ft long plug wire would be, and this is without even factoring in the added resistance of the dence charge of fuel and air before the start of the power stroke that the spark has to burn its way through!

Look for wires that have the best insulation properties and ends on them that grip and fit tight over the plug and distributior towers if your inclined to pay for better then stock replacement wires.
Is the plug gap resistance really that high once the gap is ionized?

Seems to me that if the gap resistance were really that high, there'd be no need for resistor plug wires or resistor spark plugs, or helical-wound plug wires to cut spark current in order to reduce TV-Radio interference.

Yes, good-fitting, well-attached terminals and boots, along with durable, high-heat-resistant insulation are all important features.