THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 04-17-2022, 07:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Big screen TV?

My 55" crapped out after several months of the picture getting darker. I know it isn't worth fixing, any new ones to avoid? Wife wants to get one from Costco.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 04-17-2022, 07:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had a couple of Vizio TV's and had good luck with them. They have a great picture for the price.

1973 Formula SD455 - #'s auto orig paint
1972 Trans Am - 4 speed orig paint
1974 Formula 400 - Ram Air automatic
1966 2+2 convertible - 421 4bbl automatic
1967 Grand Prix - 4 speed orig paint
1967 GTO - 4 speed orig paint 35k orig miles
The Following User Says Thank You to 71GP76TA For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2022, 07:42 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a Visio, Sony, and TCL. All have been fine. I think the TCL has the best picture

The Following User Says Thank You to max 93 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2022, 08:08 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have been happy with my Samsung and Vizio

Old 04-17-2022, 08:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If you ever drop cable TV and consider going with youtube TV, I don't think Sony allows you to add the app so you would have to add a device like a Fire Stick or Roku. Not sure about Visio but Samsung builds it in. You can never go wrong with a Samsung.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 04-17-2022, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My personal opinion is that I'll never own anything made by LG again. I bought an LG TV that lasted about one week past warranty. It had a beautiful picture, but I believe it is because they overdrove the LEDs. Within a couple of weeks of buying the TV, the screen would go black for no reason, but the audio would continue. I contacted LG, and they told me to unplug it from the wall outlet and wait one minute before plugging back in. Simply turning it off for one minute did nothing, but that worked, It wasn't horrible, but about once a week it would lose the picture. Then shortly after the warranty expired, so did the TV.

My son also bought a fairly expensive side by side LG refrigerator several years back. It also failed within several months of the factory warranty expiring. He looked into having the compressor replaced, and the repairman basically told him he would be waiting several months for a replacement compressor, and it might not last very long once he replaces it. The repairman's suggestion was to just buy a different brand of refrigerator. Incidentally, LG settled a class action lawsuit involving side by side and french door refrigerators manufactured in 2014 - 2018.

I replaced my LG TV with a 60" Sony, which I think is around 3 years old and has been trouble free. I also have a 46 or 48" Toshiba dumb TV in my bedroom that is around 15 years old, and it has been trouble free as well.

The Following User Says Thank You to poncho-mike For This Useful Post:
Old 04-17-2022, 09:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I've had good luck with both of my Samsungs.

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 04-17-2022, 11:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My next one will be the SAMSUNG 65" Class QN85D-Series 4K Ultra HD Smart Neo QLED TV - QN65QN85DAFXZA I copied this from Sam's Club. It is pricey right now but sometimes they put them on sale for arouns $1,000.00. I would go bigger but a 65" is the biggest I can put in the space I have for it.

https://www.samsclub.com/p/samsung-6...=plp_product_1

Old 04-18-2022, 07:29 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have 4 flat screens, ranging in size from 40" to 65". ALL are Sony Bravias ranging in age from 2 yrs to 15 yrs old. No issues with any of them. Great sound and picture.

1977 Trans Am, 400/M21 Black/Gold Bandit. 44K actual miles

2017 Sierra SLT 1500 Z71 4X4

2019 Canyon SLT Crew 4X4

Old 04-18-2022, 08:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We stopped using our Sony Big sreen because the hdmi outlets failed 1-by-1, until all 4 dead.
We sold it along with the stand, and have no desire to get any large screen TV.

We plan too watch the few DVD movies on a 27" flatscreen on the coffee table with the built-in DVD player.
Ipads for internet activity.

Old 04-18-2022, 08:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I may be wrong by am of the thought process that they are all the same. I suppose not. I have a 65 Samsung with the curve and love it. I too would like to get a bigger one but I have built in cabinets and thats the largest that will fit. We have tvs in what seems like every room. Most are samsungs and really no problems. I have a sony in my bedroom that is now about 10 years old. I bought it off the floor as a demonstrator from Sears. Who knows how long that thing had run before I bought it? It is still working strong and has a great pic. I have one in another bedroom that I got at best buy, I thought it was there generic brand or something. It was cheap but doesnt have nearly the definition or sharpness of the samsungs.

Old 04-18-2022, 08:57 AM
Senior Chief

I have a friend in the appliance repair business, and as far as he can tell - LG means "Largely Garbage" - esp TVs and refrigerators.

64 F-85
72 4-4-2 Mondello's VO Twister II
84 Hurst/Olds #2449
87 Cutlass Salon
54 Olds 88 sedan
The Following User Says Thank You to Mr Anonymous For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2022, 09:45 AM
Senior Chief

Location: Gilroy, California, USA-Garlic Capital of the world!
Thumbs up

55" Insignia with built-in Fire TV. Best Buy's house brand, paid $349 a few years ago.

No problems, great picture.

~Jack Handey, Deep Thoughts
Old 04-18-2022, 10:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Two Samsung's 5 years and 2 years old and happy so far.

Old 04-18-2022, 11:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Dillon View Post
55" Insignia with built-in Fire TV. Best Buy's house brand, paid $349 a few years ago.
No problems, great picture.
Does it include an app for youtube TV or can it be added by downloading it?

Many brands will include an app for regular youtube but not youtube TV.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 04-18-2022, 12:01 PM

I had a 65" curved Samsung TV and it lasted 5 years before some bottom pixels went out. I paid like 1300 for that TV back then. I have a 55" flat Samsung that is about 10 years old no problems, not a smart TV though. I replaced curved Samsung with the a Flat 65 Samsung and so far has been good. The flat 65 I bought on one of those black Friday deals for like 400. The only down side on the new 65 Samsung is smart TV feature is slow in bringing up certain apps like VUDU, sound from TV is not the greatest(most TV's speakers are not great) and it only has two HDMI ports. I bought a Roku speaker and that produces great sound and apps load up so much faster. I am planning on buying the Roku bass speaker but I am surprised how good the bass is from this sound bar. It also has a better voice speaker for those of us who are getting harder of hearing

Old 04-18-2022, 12:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I don't have experience with a lot of different brands but I had 55" Samsung for several years then a few years ago upgraded to a 65" Samsung just for the size. Still going strong.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 04-18-2022, 01:46 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have that same Roku sound bar. I love it. I can stream my Xfinity, Sirius, Disney, Netflix, Hulu, motortrend, pretty much everything and it’s fast.

I bought the insignia 55” for my garage and it works well.

I have two higher end Sony’s in the house and about once every 6 months I will have to unplug one of them for it to reset.

Old 04-18-2022, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Thanks!

I want to go to a 65". The old one was a 55" and am using a 43" as a temp. After having a 55" and then going to a 43" is like going from a 4 barrel to a 2 barrel carb.

It seems like samsung makes a great TV but not great refrigerators. lol
Maybe I just have bad luck with TV's but this is #4 in 10 years! The TCL 43" I'm using now has great sound and picture, just too small.

“Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan Press On! has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.”
― Calvin Coolidge
Old 04-18-2022, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Speaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ta6point6 View Post
I had a 65" curved Samsung TV and it lasted 5 years before some bottom pixels went out. I paid like 1300 for that TV back then. I have a 55" flat Samsung that is about 10 years old no problems, not a smart TV though. I replaced curved Samsung with the a Flat 65 Samsung and so far has been good. The flat 65 I bought on one of those black Friday deals for like 400. The only down side on the new 65 Samsung is smart TV feature is slow in bringing up certain apps like VUDU, sound from TV is not the greatest(most TV's speakers are not great) and it only has two HDMI ports. I bought a Roku speaker and that produces great sound and apps load up so much faster. I am planning on buying the Roku bass speaker but I am surprised how good the bass is from this sound bar. It also has a better voice speaker for those of us who are getting harder of hearing
So, I'm not the only one here that has the closed caption on all the time? It's not so much I'm hard of hearing it's just that the voice is low, then when the action begins it's SO loud! I'm constantly turning the volume up and down.

― Calvin Coolidge