Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-24-2022, 03:20 AM

Default WTB 1969 Grand Prix

MY FIRST CAR was a 1969 Model J with the 428 (not HO), dark green exterior, green cloth interior, a black vinyl top and 3.23 limited slip. It was #1521 off the assembly line that year. It was a hand-me-down from my Dad when he got a new 1973 Grand Prix in February 1973. I was 16 at the time. QUITE A FIRST CAR! My best friend and I had outrageous fun with it once we figured out it would outrun Chevelle SS396s. Just leave it in Drive, a little easy off the line, and--BOOM. Good times.

Along the way, I met a former Pontiac engineer who told me the first 1,600 1969 GPs off the assembly line were all painted that dark green! Mine was near the last. He said everybody was happy to see the last green one go past so they could go on to other colors. It was a marketing thing, I was told, and the dark green GPs were featured in magazines that Fall.

I enjoyed it until I traded it for a new '77 Honda Accord. Along the way, it had been hit twice while parked and had hailstone dents all over the hood and a swapped-in 2.73 rear when the old one went out, which pretty much gutted its performance...so I just lost my enthusiasm.

Regrets now; couldawouldashoulda.

My point: I plan to have another dark green 1969 Grand Prix. I will swap out the drivetrain for an aluminum block/head Pontiac-architecture 428, 6-speed, 18" Rally IIs and bulletproof rear end, but the car will still appear stock otherwise. I would like a dark green exterior and green interior but this time I'd like a real pedigreed SJ. I prefer the leather interior (but it would need new leather after 53 years). I MAY or MAY NOT go for a vinyl top; I'm not yet decided--but it would need replacement vinyl top, too, in any case. But with all the mods, I DO NOT want to take apart a numbers-matching car, so a roller or car with swapped-out engine would be ideal.

I'd prefer an original green interior in good unmolested condition, but the exterior color can easily be changed. I'd just rather start with good "bones," but any old non-original drivetrain (or none at all) will do. Price commensurate with condition. Thanks, and I'm hoping I find a good example.