Old 02-16-2022, 12:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Very cool

Old 02-16-2022, 12:25 PM
Senior Chief

Out-friggin-standing! What a stunner of a car. I love all the vintage pics, too. You’ve got a real family heirloom there. Beautiful work …

Old 02-16-2022, 01:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What a great car, and shop. Wow! Thanks for sharing.

Old 02-16-2022, 01:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That is a great car and a fun thread to read through. Nice to have all that history -and get it cleaned back up nice.

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 02-16-2022, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Who did the body and paint? And what media was used plastic media?

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 02-16-2022, 02:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Great story, great car, and great pics! REALLY cool to have your Dad's old car and it's amazing what you did with it.

Old 02-16-2022, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport71 View Post
Out-friggin-standing! What a stunner of a car. I love all the vintage pics, too. You’ve got a real family heirloom there. Beautiful work …
Thanks. The car is pretty (in)famously known in the extended family. My grandparents generally held most large holiday celebrations, so when he first got the car him and friends would be out working on it all the time. So even now when we see extended family, almost always the first question is "so how's the Firebird project".
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
Who did the body and paint? And what media was used plastic media?
The body and paint was done by a shop that is now closed, Manns Corvette out of Mishawaka, IN. For the media, I'm not sure, my dad registered for an account here so he can answer once it gets approved.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCMDGTO View Post
Great story, great car, and great pics! REALLY cool to have your Dad's old car and it's amazing what you did with it.
Oh I don't ha e the car, he's still going strong and this is all at his house/shop. He's done a lot of the work himself over the last several years. My brother and I live about 10 hours away, but we have tried to make a couple longs trips recently to help give him a push.

We went 4th of July last year to install the engine, then Christmas we spent a week and were able to start the engine with just temporary wiring and plumbing, then I just got back from 2 weeks there helping him go back and actually finalize wiring and plumbing. We were hoping to take it for an initial rest drive last week but hit a road block on the brakes. We did get to put it in gear for a quick turn of the wheels.

Our goal is for him to have it on the road over the summer to work out any potential kinks. Then we want to do a show together, potentially Cruisin The Coast with his 1972 Firebird, my 1989 Turbo Trans Am, and my brother 1998 Trans Am. All of them are our first cars and all have gone through some level of rebuild in the last couple years.

Old 02-16-2022, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Is it mini tubbed? Can you share wheel and tire sizes?

Old 02-16-2022, 05:45 PM
Senior Chief

Love it. Please post or PM me details of the EFI system.

Old 02-16-2022, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fastpace View Post
Body and Paint
The body was media blasted, and to the shock of the body shop contained almost zero rust. You’ll see there are some sanding marks on the drivers door, these were from repair in 1973 after a girl at school backed into the door.

The only real changes to the body was to smooth the firewall from the factory AC box with the intention to go to Vintage Air for a sleeker look and opening up the hole for a future T56 installation.

Having been around this car 30+ years at the time, and disassembling/reassembling it to various different levels, and being very detail oriented my dad drove the shop crazy adjusting colors and gloss levels on the paint in various areas. His intention was to get it as close to his version of original as possible.
The primary paint job has 4 base and 5 or 6 coats of clear, but it took them 26 different spray outs to finally get the shade just right.
I understand the color match-up issues. My shop went through four different blends to get as close as possible to the original Coronado Gold. Formulations don't always work well transitioning from lacquer to base / clear coat. But hey, I'm digging those MT valve covers. They're getting hard to find for a Pontiac.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191112_135604.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	82.2 KB
ID:	584238   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210518_110329.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	584239  

Old 02-16-2022, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
Is it mini tubbed? Can you share wheel and tire sizes?
Not mini tubbed. Wheels and tires look like they'll clear, but will definitely need to adjust the coilovers and have the bumpstops in place. We moved the car before without bumpstops and the tires rubbed up into the fender.

The wheels are 17x9 Honeycombs from YearOne https://www.yearone.com/Product/1967...rts/hw1795slvs

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65madgoat View Post
Love it. Please post or PM me details of the EFI system.
It's a very old version of the FAST EZEFI system. Was one of the first self learn systems on the market when he bought it (probably 10+ years ago). Uses Edelbrock 44 lbs/hr injectors. The system controls fuel only and ignition is controlled through the MSD 6AL-2 and distributor. So the EFI controller only has a few sensors: Coolant temp, air temp, throttle position, idle air controller, manifold pressure, and wideband O2. There's a couple additional wires for AC signal and then a fan trigger as well.

Looks like this is the current model which they mention option to run with HEI style ignition like the system we installed (original EZ EFI) https://www.fuelairspark.com/ez-efi-...ol-system.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by srmmmm View Post
I understand the color match-up issues. My shop went through four different blends to get as close as possible to the original Coronado Gold. Formulations don't always work well transitioning from lacquer to base / clear coat. But hey, I'm digging those MT valve covers. They're getting hard to find for a Pontiac.
If you're looking for an extra set, I'm quite sure he could be persuaded to sell them. Otherwise they're just going to sit on a shelf in his shop for the indefinite future.

Old 02-16-2022, 09:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Really love to see these family projects. Similarly I fly to Dayton, OH over the summer, holidays to help my dad with his projects. I have his 70 LeMans that he bought just before I was born and I drove to high school. Never getting rid of that car!

Old 02-17-2022, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice car. Thanks for sharing.

66 GTO 389 3x2, 4 speed, 4.33 gear, Montero Red 33K original Miles
67 GTO 2dr Post, 428, Tri Power, 3.55 Gears
80 Trans Am Black SE Y84 W72 WS6
Old 02-17-2022, 11:19 PM

I would like to thank Fastpace for documenting the history on my 1972 Firebird. I would also like to mention Sam and Kenny who helped me make major updates (new hydraulic camshaft, improved cylinder heads, lifters and headers) to the Firebird under my parents carport in 1973 and 1974. I wish Sam and Kenny could be here for this project.

The work done on the car over the past 15+ years has fulfilled a dream I've had since my teen years. When I started the project to restore and modify the car with my boys 1SLOLS1-Aaron and Fastpace-Jared, I was the teacher but, as the project winds down, my boys have become the teachers - especially with some of the newer technology.

I never would have believed that a car could provide so many good memories in my life. It started Dec 13, 1971 I received a phone call from my dad and mother to meet them in Ft. Smith. They took me to the Dodge/Chrysler dealership to look at a green Charger, an Oldsmobile dealership to look at a white 442, and the Pontiac dealership to look at the red Firebird. I had spent my childhood working on the family farm and, in appreciation for my help, dad told me to chose one of the cars we had looked at...what a surprise for a 16 year old boy! I still remember the look on their faces when the deal was closed. I knew then the car would always have a special place in my heart. As the years passed, the time Sammy and Kenny spent working on the car developed into life long friendship. I had numerous friends in college that also shared an interest in cars. I dated my future wife in college in this car. I knew my wife loved me when she adjusted the valves after just 2 weeks of marriage (which resulted in oil spray all over her hair). When my oldest was very young, he loved to sit in the drivers seat and make car sounds...baby spit went everywhere. Around 1984 the car was placed in storage in my dad's barn. The boys and i always talked about how someday we would restore the car together. It wasn't until around 2005/2006 that Aaron, Jared and I started disassembling the car. Within a year or two the project was put on hold when Aaron moved to Texas to attend an engine performance design and machining school and Jared left for college. While at S.A.M., Aaron's design for a 600+ hp engine began and parts were ordered for that build. After sending the car out for a frame-off paint restoration in 2013, the project was placed on hold again and didn't restart until 2018. In the last 3 years a lot of progress has been made with reassembly with help from the boys during numerous trips up.

I really believe that the old Firebird will always provide a common thread to keep us all together.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 72firebird For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2022, 12:11 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Any updates? New pics or videos? Love this build

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/