Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-14-2022, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default aftermarket block availability

pleasantly surprised to find All Pontiac having a run of blocks close to shipping. there is at least 9 more iron blocks and some aluminum blocks available as of this afternoon. If anyone is interested.
I fully expected these to be a covid, supply chain, no machine shop help, victim
I hope all vendors are able to fill our desires

1972 Maverick under slow construction
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mysticmissle For This Useful Post:
Old 05-14-2022, 08:32 PM
Boost Engineer

Good news for a bunch of All Pontiac Block Buyers.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-14-2022, 09:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

allpontiac has some of the best customer service i have ever seen. great guys, we are lucky to have them in our hobby.

Old 05-14-2022, 11:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
allpontiac has some of the best customer service i have ever seen. great guys, we are lucky to have them in our hobby.
Totally agree

The Following User Says Thank You to slowbird For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2022, 06:21 PM
Senior Chief

I agree too...Frank was awesome to deal with.

Old 05-15-2022, 08:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by i82much View Post
Agree 100%. I called Frank a few weeks back to ask if he still had the “sonic sheet” for the 3 1/4” main IA2 in my Trans Am. Unfortunately they lost a good deal of the sonic sheets for older blocks during a move years back.. but I didn’t stop him from dropping everything he was doing and searching through all the sheets he still had.

AllPontiac IA2
APSJB09040028

I’ll add that Bob was great when I ordered my first IA2 block and scat forged crank back in 2007. He promptly answered every time I called.

Spotts Built 484" IA2, Highports, EFI Northwind
Terminator X sequential EFI fabrication and suspension by
https://www.funkhouserracecars.com/

Last edited by R 70 Judge; 05-15-2022 at 08:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to R 70 Judge For This Useful Post:
Old 05-15-2022, 09:55 PM
Senior Chief

How much is a iron block ?

Old 05-16-2022, 12:01 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by er455 View Post
How much is a iron block ?
http://www.allpontiac.com/standard.html

Old 05-16-2022, 12:32 PM
Senior Chief

I agree on Frank's customer service being the best in the business. Goes out of his way to do what is right and is always a pleasure to work with.

71 Firebird, best 1/8th mile time of 5.02 at 142 at altitude in Vegas
Old 05-17-2022, 06:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by racegto65 View Post
the website prices have not been updated in awhile i think a 'standard iron block' in a few bore sizes is $3800ish plus freight

1972 Maverick under slow construction
Old 05-17-2022, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

i wish there were larger bore options, along the lines of the aftermarket BBC's 4.5-4.625
is that even an option/possible in a traditional pontiac block style? (not a reference to a stock block, but overall stock block size if you get what i mean)

Old 05-17-2022, 08:45 AM

Bore spacing between centers of each cylinder is only 4.625" so those bores are not possible with the Pontiac V8.

Old 05-17-2022, 09:05 AM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don 79 TA View Post
i wish there were larger bore options, along the lines of the aftermarket BBC's 4.5-4.625
is that even an option/possible in a traditional pontiac block style? (not a reference to a stock block, but overall stock block size if you get what i mean)
If I have my info correct, most of the OEMS went to larger BORE SPACINGS with their engines over the years. Pontiac came up with the 4.62 bore spacing in the 1950s with the current design blocks, at the time this was a large change from what others were doing. The bore spacing did not change over the years of production.

Some in the Pontiac World feel the Pontiac 4.62 bore spacing make it the only unique thing about the Pontiac Engines. Everything else changed over the years. Heads, Cam designs, Rocker Arm ratios, Distributor signaling, HEI vs points, Intakes, carb sizes, ................................................

Also for years, some advocated going to a bit larger bore spacing block design. The "PURISTS" said then it will not be a Pontiac Engine any more.

Arnie B. ran a "Pontiac sold" Chevy engine with a cast in Arrowhead (Pontiac)
on the block for many years in his race car.

So the Purists say "Don't change the Bore Spacing" (Some have done it creatively and got a slightly larger bore engine.) Mostly in a "STOCK" NHRA class.

99% of the very fast racers, OUTLAW PRO MOD for example have been running Cubic Money aftermarket blocks for years. Now Billet Blocks are available. Not a single GM designed part on the engines.

But they can run 275+ mph in the quarter too with a door car.

So people have slightly stretched aftermarket Pontiac blocks to run in given classes for at least 20+ years. But you are not going to get a 750 cid engine out of a Pontiac design. So you want the larger bore spacing engine so it can pass for a traditional block?

Just my opinion.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-17-2022, 01:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

thanks Tom
i was just wondering if a bigger bore aftermarket would be possible, which it seems it can't, well... lets just say within a reasonable amount of $

Old 05-17-2022, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There was some talk a few years back about making a run a IA blocks with the outside bores moved out more but all sorts of issues come up. You can only move things so much before things do not line up with crank,rods, pistons, lifter bores and the chambers.
It would be a whole new engine designed made to "look" like a Pontiac.
Also talk of making a Pontiac engine based on a BBC crank. Then what do you have ?
None of this is ever going to happen. Not enough of us left and our group is shrinking everyday.
That said, Frank is great to deal with. Man of his word. Answers his phone, helps you out with honesty.
A fine asset to the Pontiac community.

Old 05-17-2022, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

IMO, the most cost effective way to get the larger bore spacing would be to have a billet block made. Then you could incorporate all the individual desired changes you want with very minimal additional cost. No real additional pattern or core changes and so forth. Just design charges and a tool path code. Then the hand full of people who care can stand around and drink beer and bless it as a "Pontiac", or condemn it as the work of the devil. Eric and I drew our line in the sand on the stock bore spacing, a cast block that would except ALL stock block components and we went racing with it. Many would say we have always been cheaters with Nitrous Oxide, Nirto Methane and a Roots Blower. I can live with that.

Old 05-18-2022, 09:52 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

We had a IA 2 Iron block made with a .040 additional bore spacing for a project for Frank G.It found its way to a AP customer and was finished as a very big power NA engine.

http://www.checkeredflagmachine.net/
The Following User Says Thank You to cfmcnc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 11:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cfmcnc View Post
We had a IA 2 Iron block made with a .040 additional bore spacing for a project for Frank G.It found its way to a AP customer and was finished as a very big power NA engine.
Interesting! Was it a one off casting? Or was the additional bore spacing from machining only?

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs
Old 05-18-2022, 03:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just moved in the machining program.It can be done again..

http://www.checkeredflagmachine.net/
The Following User Says Thank You to cfmcnc For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2022, 08:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Did the change result in a larger bore than 4.375? Or was it done to unshroud the valves?

62' Lemans, Nostalgia Super Stock, 541 CI, IA2 block, billet 4.5" crank, Ross, Wide port Edelbrocks, Gustram intake, 2 4150 style BLP carbs, 2.10 Turbo 400, 9" w/4:30 gears, 8.76 @153, 3100lbs