Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2022, 01:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25stevem View Post
Any folks know if the plug mod in post 50 works in conjunction with the block being filled up to the water pump holes?
The "fill" would have zero effect on those holes. There's merely less coolant volume between the TOP of the "fill" and the deck surface where the plugs/drilled hole is.

[Edit to clarify the top of the fill, rather than the bottom of the fill]

Last edited by Schurkey; 05-11-2022 at 02:16 AM.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:40 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
On conventional Pontiac heads, MOST head gasket failures are on the 2 center cylinders mostly, because the 2 exhaust valves are together. Anything that can be done to help cool the engine, in that area, can't be a bad thing. Note, I have never drilled the cooling hole on later engines and it Would not have been necessary either on Tunnel port head - builds. JMHO, Tom
Mikes Reply:

The Tunnel Port with two Carbs., would be in my "scoop," getting all that cool air Induction. "I am still dreaming about that one". No heating up Between the long runners and the use of Phenolics under the carbs. Plus, I would imagine, there is no heat cross over under the carbs. to heat the fuel up in the first place, that is built into the Tunnel ports.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 05-11-2022 at 01:58 AM.
Old 05-11-2022, 01:46 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schurkey View Post
The "fill" would have zero effect on those holes. There's merely less coolant volume between the bottom of the "fill" and the deck surface where the plugs/drilled hole is.
Mikes Reply:

If the Holes in the block, behind the water pump, are not blocked by the filler, that is how and where the water pump pressurizes the block?

I had to repair my water pumps Aluminum body because I found pitting and blasted away material from pump cavitation in places. I mixed two-part epoxy and filled the voids and spread a thin coat past the edges. Water pump used 8 bolts in 1967 and there is one tube on the PS and the DS spills back into the block without the tube. I managed to use black RTV sealant on the edge of the tube where it had a place for a round seal, I think. I then decreased the tolerances to the divider plate and Walla a free rebuild, only bought the gasket set. That water pump fix is so good you can see the water jump over the top of my Radiator core when you remove the cap. Lots more pressure that increases the flow and volume across the Radiator. At the top of my Radiator, it measures 190 degrees at the Thermostat and the lower exit tube measures 160 degrees returning into the Block. I use the 180-degree Thermostat with the 3 bypass holes drilled in it. The Themo. actuated clutch had to be upgraded from stock to HD TRUCK type for a much better job. People I can't emphasize how much better my vehicle ran using the HD version, instead of a stock Clutch. Good, four core copper Radiator sealed to the core support helps too.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 05-11-2022 at 02:40 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to TRADERMIKE 2012 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 02:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRADERMIKE 2012 View Post
If the Holes in the block, behind the water pump, are not blocked by the filler, that is how and where the water pump pressurizes the block?
Yes. Water pump/timing cover outlet, to block inlet. Just look at the water pump/timing cover castings to see how the coolant flows into the block. From there, it pushes into the cylinder head, and out the intake manifold.

Note that things were VERY different on the early Pontiac engines--'55 to...'59 (?) that had the "Gusher" cooling system. The water pump outlets were directed to the cylinder heads first, then to the block. Similar to the "Reverse-Cooled" "LT1" SBC starting in 1992 (?) which came and went and hardly left a ripple.

Last edited by Schurkey; 05-11-2022 at 02:20 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Schurkey For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How about you guys stop this back and forth and give the rest of us a rest?

Old 05-11-2022, 07:14 PM

The Following User Says Thank You to b-man For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2022, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat 67 View Post
How about you guys stop this back and forth and give the rest of us a rest?
Adding a few to your ignore list can improve the signal to noise ratio significantly.

Old 05-12-2022, 12:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have 42 on that list already, I believe.

Old 05-12-2022, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRADERMIKE 2012 View Post
Mikes Reply:

The Tunnel Port with two Carbs., would be in my "scoop," getting all that cool air Induction. "I am still dreaming about that one". No heating up Between the long runners and the use of Phenolics under the carbs. Plus, I would imagine, there is no heat cross over under the carbs. to heat the fuel up in the first place, that is built into the Tunnel ports.
Like this? couldn’t resist showing it off, was driving it last night, man it’s a nice set up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	A66A3CA0-2A81-43B0-A1FB-FD8BDC53462B.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	590651  

selling turbos and turbo related parts since 2005!
Old 05-12-2022, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What inline dual quad linkage are you using?

1965 GTO 4 barrel 3 speed project
2004 GTO Pulse Red stock motor computer tune 13.43@103.4
1964 Impala SS 409/470ci 600 HP stroker project
1979 Camaro IAII Edelbrock head 500" 695 HP 10.33@132 3595lbs
Old 05-12-2022, 02:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
Like this? couldn’t resist showing it off, was driving it last night, man it’s a nice set up.
What alternator are you using?

Old 05-12-2022, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The alternator is just a newer GM one wire set up.
The linkage is what was on it in 1970 when it was raced by Stephens Pontiac. Although it had a pan and 2 inch spacers This was their pro stock engine. The car was their stock eliminator RAIV car.
We are pretty sure this engine was tested and tuned in this car between when the engine was delivered and when the new 70 pro car came along. Because one of its hoods was cut for the dual quads other was not. Anyway my RAIV engine was out for a freshening so I put the RAV set up in it. I didn’t want to use the alternator and radiator because , they are all cleaned up ready to go, rare and pricey,

There’s an article about the pro car I.n rodder and super stock. Jan 72. A quick Google search will
Pull
Up pictures of the other two cars and many pics these days .anything you see 70 to 73 is the same car just changed around a little for each season.
My 69 had a season change in graphics also .
This is how it sits today needed a restoration I raced it for about 15 years myself .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	423B4A1C-F596-4917-B5DC-AA07C18047E0.jpg
Views:	196
Size:	73.6 KB
ID:	590655   Click image for larger version

Name:	2D8151E9-2C53-4C7E-986F-D294704B2001.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	590657  

Last edited by turbo69bird; 05-12-2022 at 03:33 PM.
Old 05-12-2022, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stephens Pontiac, I remember them racing at Connecticut Dragway back 1970, I was racing 69 Ram Air 1V Judge back then. Sponsored by Gorton Tire and Speed I’m pretty sure it had Ram Air V in it then. They were in the 10’s first time I ever saw Ram air V. i was blown away. I was running mid 11’s. We were Partners on the Judge. The motor in the Judge was built by George DeLorean of leader Automotive. John DeLorean‘s brother. Man we tired getting Ram V top end. The motor in Judge was Ram V short block Ram V rods. But with Ram 1V heads and intake. I still have cam that was in the motor. George had stamp Hi Lou on it. Love fact you’re restoring that baby. Allot of history there.

George had run 11.20’s with that motor in a 69 Firebird still have the article. So to see Stephens Firebird rip off a 10 second pass just blow us away. My partner pass away 2 months ago. RIP Charlie. He’s Paisan heaven.

Old 05-12-2022, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

One of the guys in pit crew had painted Stephens Pontiac Firebird I got him to paint my 64 GTO Pearl blue.

Old 05-12-2022, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There were two guys who painted the Stephens cars that I know of one was woody from new Britain he was the outside shop that did all the lace etc on the 69 and the 70 -73 car was down at the Stephens shop and Tom Mc innis did a lot of the work on it, And that was the “lemon yellow pearl” car. A guy who owned the local sign shop jim “something “ hand painted all the lettering. Last name eludes me right now .Yeah the article says they ran 10.34 but I know they went a little faster at one point just don’t have the specific numbers. Stephens had ads for the public to buy 500 HP RAV engines installed or over the counter. That was a lot of HP to just walk into the dealer and buy in 1970.

I grew up a block away from
The orginal dealership.

Sorry to hear about your buddy Charlie . Sounds like a good guy.

Old 05-12-2022, 05:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yep that’s it 10.30. Something, Charlie and I were blown away. Seeing we ran mid 11’s. We were all over that car. I can’t for life of me remember his name did my 64 GTO it came out Beautiful. Actually Ken Webber did the paint and he did the Lace, so must of been Woody. But Woody talked me into going with the Pearl paint, he ended up getting the paint because we couldn’t fine it anywhere. Nicest guy you ever want to meet. He did the lace and wouldn’t take a dime. I’m like don’t want to do it for free.

Buy back then there wasn’t many Pontiac’s racing at Connecticut dragway , they were just as thrilled to meet up with fellow Pontiac guys and surprise to see us running mid 11’s. A block away you lucky dog you. The best one was Don Gay’s 66 or 67 GTO funny car. Who beat Tasca Ford, Tasca was king at Connecticut dragway. thanks for the memories

Old 05-12-2022, 05:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Yep that’s it 10.30. Something, Charlie and I were blown away. Seeing we ran mid 11’s. We were all over that car. I can’t for life of me remember his name did my 64 GTO it came out Beautiful. Actually Ken Webber did the paint and he did the Lace, so must of been Woody. But Woody talked me into going with the Pearl paint, he ended up getting the paint because we couldn’t fine it anywhere. Nicest guy you ever want to meet. He did the lace and wouldn’t take a dime. I’m like don’t want to do it for free.

Buy back then there wasn’t many Pontiac’s racing at Connecticut dragway , they were just as thrilled to meet up with fellow Pontiac guys and surprise to see us running mid 11’s. A block away you lucky dog you. The best one was Don Gay’s 66 or 67 GTO funny car. Who beat Tasca Ford, Tasca was king at Connecticut dragway. thanks for the memories
The RAIV car ran 11.93 in C/stock class in 69. Garbor Pontiac ram the same exact number w their RAIV 69 firebird. Leader did one of the short blocks for Stephens too. Bernie cinchetti did most of the machine work for Stephens. Race program. And he’d stamp something special into the parts must have been a thing around here. The 68 RAII short block was done by jack merkel which I m almost certain is the one I have.. I have a Service replacement short block that was Stephens also , has something different stamped into it to identify it as a genuine Stephens part. Diamond Elkins did the head porting on the RAV engine. Butch Elkins was about as good as it gets for head porting back then.

Old 05-12-2022, 06:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

God we definitely have a connection. Leader was good, funny story George ran tight piston to valve clearance. Of cruse because of the cam. He said don’t miss a shift. It was always up in the air who was going to drive, well Charlie miss a shift..LOL That’s when I saw the hi Lou on cam. So I took over driving shaking in my boots in fear of missing a shift. Charlie wood laugh. But I never did, the biggest thrill was when this guy come walking in the pit, Hey you guys looking for a sponsor, he loved Pontiac’s

Old 05-12-2022, 06:55 PM
Boost Engineer

"Diamond Elkins did the head porting on the RAV engine. Butch Elkins was about as good as it gets for head porting back then."

Have to agree on that statement. He was very good and if you had Diamond Elkins
RA-IV heads you had a fast engine. Gordon Huizenga ran those heads in his 63 Tempest Drag car (conventional Pontiac Axle).
Gordon was doing the 421 mod on the cooling holes of his Engine in the early 70s.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-12-2022, 07:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbo69bird View Post
The RAIV car ran 11.93 in C/stock class in 69. Garbor Pontiac ram the same exact number w their RAIV 69 firebird. Leader did one of the short blocks for Stephens too. Bernie cinchetti did most of the machine work for Stephens. Race program. And he’d stamp something special into the parts must have been a thing around here. The 68 RAII short block was done by jack merkel which I m almost certain is the one I have.. I have a Service replacement short block that was Stephens also , has something different stamped into it to identify it as a genuine Stephens part. Diamond Elkins did the head porting on the RAV engine. Butch Elkins was about as good as it gets for head porting back then.
Special times for sure!