Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 11-17-2020, 10:36 PM

Default Aluminum and Cast Iron Manifold Paint Tips

For aluminum intakes, preventing the discoloring... especially of the middle crossover. The best solution I've seen so far is using a silver, high temp header paint on the aluminum intake, and then following it up with the Pontiac blue.

For cast iron manifolds, my last paint job didn't hold up at all. I saw some recommendations for Eastwood high temp header paint.

I've searched and would like to see if anyone has had any newer ideas or may not have responded to the previous threads.

I'd like to hear all of your opinions and experience...

Thanks,

Old 11-18-2020, 04:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

This is the best I've found!

Thanks to Bart!

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...ld#post4540157

Old 11-18-2020, 10:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

ive used the por15 manifold paint & it looks great & last for quite awhile but it will eventually start to chip & peel off, took about 6 or 7 years but its flaking in spots. ive also used the por-20 header paint & it also looked great & lasted for awhile but rusted through & flaked in some areas after about the same time. best coating for headers & ex manifolds i have found is the VHT header paint.

Old 11-18-2020, 05:18 PM

Not exactly what you're asking, but I used an etching primer under PPG DCC Acrylic Urethane on my engine with aluminum heads and a cast iron intake. The heads are KRE with no crossover provision for the intake, but the paint has held up perfectly on the exhaust ports. Paint is 3+ years old.

I don't have a good picture of the heads handy, but they look as good as the valve covers in this pic.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0079.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	77.1 KB
ID:	554248

Old 11-18-2020, 10:14 PM

Well, sounds like there's really no great solution out there. I suppose in the long run, we're all going to get rusty cast iron manifolds and discolored crossovers.

Old 11-18-2020, 10:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vetteman61 View Post
Well, sounds like there's really no great solution out there. I suppose in the long run, we're all going to get rusty cast iron manifolds and discolored crossovers.
ceramic coat will last on the ex manifolds.

Old 11-19-2020, 09:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

On stock exhaust manifolds, I've used the same brush on paint as Old Goat 67 mentioned. So far, so good. Looks good too.