Old 01-27-2022, 10:35 PM

Default Need help confirming tail light/brake light wiring for 67 Grand Prix

Hey all,

I've been working on getting my GP a driver and one of the small projects is to get the lights functional. Fortunately the lights do turn on but the harness has had new sockets installed with a bunch of splices and as a result I'm not sure what the correct wiring is. I consulted the FSM and the GP seems to be different from the diagram since there's 2 sockets per side on the diagram (unless I'm misinterpreting) but on the car there's 3 sockets per side, because of the unique to GP tail light housings. The thing that's confusing me is that the centermost bulb socket in the taillight housing only has 1 wire, instead of the 2 wire socket for the brake lights. The driver's side of the harness is in the best condition and since there's only 1 crimp connector I believe the wiring to mostly factory but again I'm not sure. Any ideas?

I should also mention that the outer 2 lights are using a 1157 bulb and the inner is using a 1156
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220128_012353461.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	65.3 KB
ID:	582878   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220128_012753810.MP.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	69.2 KB
ID:	582879   Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20220128_013609624.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	57.1 KB
ID:	582880  

Old 01-28-2022, 01:59 AM
Senior Chief

Here is what I have for wires and colors on my 67 GP:

Driver side
- innermost bulb = one wire (brown)
- center bulb = two wires (yellow, brown) NOTE: this one actually has two yellow wires going into one filament and the brown wire going to the other filament.
- outermost bulb = two wires (yellow, brown)
The reverse light wire is taped inside the same harness and is a lighter green.

Pass side
- innermost bulb = one wire (brown)
- center bulb = two wires (green, brown) NOTE: this one actually has two green wires going into one filament and the brown wire going to the other filament
- outermost bulb = two wires (green, brown)
The reverse light wire is taped inside the same harness and is a lighter green.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Old 01-28-2022, 09:42 AM

Thanks for the confirmation, that's exactly what I'm seeing on my car. It looks like I will need to replace most of the bulb sockets though, a lot of the metal tabs are brittle and have broken off and have a lot of corrosion. The passenger side is in much worse shape than the drivers side, there must be at least 8 different butt connectors used to piece together the harness.

Old 01-28-2022, 01:39 PM
Senior Chief

Those metal tabs hold the socket to the housing and also provide the ground. Make sure the contact area on the housings are clean too.

Sent from my SM-A505U using Tapatalk

Old 01-28-2022, 02:18 PM

A lot of the metal tabs have broken off, with some having only 1 tab. The sockets are definitely corroded giving poor contact so I'll see how much I can clean them up